1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Adrian Belew joining Nine Inch Nails

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

holy Big Electric Cats

2. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

NICE Hekawi!

That was good.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

+1

Big Electric Cat! Big Electric Cat! Big Electric Cat! Big Electric Cat!

I'm a big fan of Adrian. He lives in Lake Geneva (not far from here). Saw him when he played with Bowie and I saw the Pscho Dots at a small club in Milwaukee called Shank Hall. I went to the bathroom just before the show and realized out that Adrian was standing at the urinal next to me. I started talking with him while we both washed our hands and he was laughing.....he said that Shank Hall had no bathroom backstage so the performers can either use the mens room in the bar or pee in the alley before a show. He said that if you love autographs you should loiter near the mens room before the show. Adrian had a great sense of humor.

I got an autograph and a nice conversation with Adrian.

Three weeks later I was at Shank Hall and I peed next to Robyn Hitchcock.

You can't make ***** like this up. Truth is stranger than fiction.

NIN with Belew........that's up there with King Crimson with Belew. Should be very cool.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  4. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

Probably one of the most interesting double bills that I ever attended was the Cure with King Crimson. (85'?)
    I swear that 80% of both crowds really, really respected and appreciated the 'other' bands musicianship. And I would wager that the 'crossover' fans that knew any more than 1-2 songs of the 'other' was pretty damn small.
    It was truly great.
    I was hoping that they would all do a number, but couldn't even fathom what that might have been. I bet Tony Levin would have been down for it!

5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Adrian Belew is immensely talented. I love his work with King Crimson. Once upon a time, he toured as lead guitarist for the Talking Heads. Something exciting is bound to happen with Adrian in the band.

Dan R

6. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

That should be very cool. I'm a big fan of Eric Avery's playing as well

7. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Met Adrian at a Leroy Parnell show in Nashville during Summer NAMM several years ago. Really nice guy, talked with us for several minutes, took some pics and so on.

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Anybody who can keep up with Fripp has my respect. I'm interested to see what they come out with.

9. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nice collaboration. Adrian Belew's resume looks like a laundry list of awesome.

10. Kineada

Kineada Tele-Meister

Based on the article I read, so far this is only for touring. I guess Trent Reznor did do some type of "recent work" with Belew, but whether that sees the light of day as new Nine Inch Nails material or something else is anyone's guess.

Still, it will be nice to see and hear Nine Inch Nails on stage again. The live incarnation of the band has always changed from tour to tour, so it will be cool to see what this version is like.

11. Zzzen Dog

Zzzen Dog TDPRI Member

Hasn't Adrian Belew contributed quite a bit to Nine Inch Nails over the years? Pretty sure he played on The Downward Spiral.

Nevertheless, exciting news!

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Strange juxtaposition.

Fripp retreats from public, while Belew accepts a big new challenge.

13. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

Maybe it'll be released by How to Destroy Angels?

14. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Yarp. Adrian Belew played on "Mr. Self Destruct" and "The Becoming" off that album. He also played on The Fragile and Ghosts I - IV.

It's a shame Trent Reznor couldn't get Chris Vrenna back. His drumming was crucial to some of NIN's best songs.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Bobby has always been a bit reclusive/obsessive. He seems to tend to live in his own mind. Adrian is a bit more... shall we say... exothermic. :lol:

When I saw Crimson in the early 80s, Fripp was perched on a stool on stage right, in the shadows, facing stage left. You would hardly have known he was there except for the times he moved a bit on the stool-- you couldn't see his hands at all unless he leaned forward a bit during heavy moments and accidentally placed them into the stage lighting. Belew, however, was the front man and was having fun with that position-- hamming things up, being Mr. Look-At-Me. He was the perfect person for the job, though I'm not enthusiastic about his singing voice, personally. Watching those guys do "Discipline" is the high point of my music-experience life-- Belew handled all of those time signature changes just perfectly.

I caught a "Bears" show in Cincinatti in the late 80s and was impressed by the performance. Belew is heavy-duty in the same way Bruford and Levin are. They all live on a different planet than I do, but at least there are communication channels open from time to time.

16. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Does that raise the nail inches?

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

love the Bears.
    The nine inch nails guy is really an interesting guy...

that should make for a cool band....

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

huh, never realized Belew lived in Lake Geneva, did he buy the house Axl lost to the IRS?

19. petey twofinger

petey twofinger TDPRI Member

he lived there a while back , then he was across the lake in williams bay . he aint in Wi any more though ...

here's to hoping we see another bears album , as of now four exist .

also , he was saying on his blog that he had recorded , like MAD , a while back , more traditional format songs , as opposed to the style he was doing for a few years . so there is prolly an album worth of new stuff , not sure when this will see the light of day . i am guessing its on hold as he will be busy with trent .

he does have a new rig , he doesnt use the johnsons any more . i think its a few pedals , a lap top , axe fx ultra , roland vg 900 or whatever the latest rolnd vg is that acts like a second guitar ... the loops and stuff like synth go to a set of those conical bose tower monitors , the 360 sound things . then he has a set of powered monitors for the "straight " guitar . the guitar is his signature model parker fly , sustainer , midi , piezo bridge , built in line 6 variaxe . its just insane , and not cheap , he also took delivery of a fretless model last year . the story on this instruments development is really quite the tale .

he is in japan now , with the king crimson project , including tony levin , and pat mastalotto . i saw them here in chicago a while back , robert WHO ? heh .

it will be interesting to hear what they come up with . i am hoping that trent will really collab with him , rather than just sideman him out , but ... its kind of a disapointment for me personally , i was REALLY looking forward to his new solo stuff / tour .

there is so much more to him as an artist than just stunt guitar , but he has always been involved in such fantastic side projects , his body of solo albums are absolute cream of the crop music , imho .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.