1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

My stupidest gear purchases have been keyboards, not guitar gear, although I could probably write paragraphs on that too. About once a decade I succumb to a keyboard that I have no earthly business owning because if I am totally honest with myself, I really cannot functionally play keys. I’m a guitar player through and through…But…but vintage keyboards *sound* so cool!
    Aside from a little 80s Casio (which I still have shoved in the back of my gear closet) the first one I had was a giant electric combo organ on the order of a two-manual Vox with the negative image set of bass keys on the bottom left. It had that early Pink Floyd “Astronomy Domini” sound. It was free, but not once you figure in gas and the overwhelming hassle to both you and a friend involved in picking it up and – once you realized what a white elephant it was – dropping it back off at the music store three years later with the same, “Here! Take it!” that was spoken to you in the first place…just so it can go on to the next sucker. And it did! To some random guy that was there when I hauled it in; just like I was there when some random kid hauled it in years earlier! It’s like something from a lower grade Needful Things; ownership gets you danged to heck instead of damned to hell!
    After that came a Fender Rhodes. It was the smaller one, but not the bass – what was that; the 88? Anyway, it was beautiful. Man oh man, that Rhodes sound…but utterly and profoundly wasted on me; a man who can’t get both hands to cooperate as they should on a piano keyboard despite my keyboard-playing parents efforts to teach me.
    Next I had a little Korg synth. It wasn’t expensive, and it was monophonic, so it didn’t present any issue for my lack of left hand keyboard aptitude. It had great chewy analog ‘80s synth pop sounds. I actually played it at two gigs, but ultimately it just didn’t contribute that much to our sound and our, um, not-so-rhythmically-adept drummer just couldn’t keep up with the unrelentingly metronomic pace of the thing on auto-arpeggiate in our otherwise awesome cover of Berlin’s “Metro.”
    Most recently (about five years ago) I dropped coin on a used set of Moog Taurus II bass pedals because we had no bass player. It was such a bear to set up that I just stopped bothering and sold it after moving the nearly coffin-sized road case around our house for a couple years until my wife needed the room it was in for an office when she started working from home.
    I regret every single one because I never got the money I paid back, with the exception of the organ…but I never got the floorspace it occupied in my studio apartment back as I didn’t ditch it along with its coating of dust until I moved.
    I don’t have a good explanation for this hubris, but I have the keyboard problem licked, because I bought an EHX Mel9 so now I have a variety of cool vintage keyboard sounds on my guitar pedalboard. If I ever want a new keyboard, I can buy one of the other pedals in the Key9 series. Yeah, that works!

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of them

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

4. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I bought a solid top cedar & mahogany Aria acoustic guitar about 5 years ago, It was a spur of the moment bid on ebay as it was only a couple of miles from my address, I played it once when I got it home and I've never taken it out of the gig bag since :eek: very nice tone it had too as I remember.:cool:

I've got a load of stuff in the garage for a pet charity to collect I think I'll donate that as well, someone might appreciate it.:oops:

5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Jag-Stang as my first "proper" guitar. Sorry to the people who like them, but mine was pretty horrible.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  6. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Bought a Peavey Mace 2x12 160 watt combo amp back in the 80’s to use in my bedroom. Did not work out so well. Sold it for a big loss and bought a 70’s Fender Princeton.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

The Mustang on which it was based was my first “proper” guitar. It too was deeply flawed. I was not a fan of the panel switches. They collected dust and crud and lost clean contact and ceased working reliably. I had to keep a can of spray-air from Radio Shack to hit ‘em with every second or third time I played it!

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No more be said , I couldnt play it , and didnt have the room to keep it

P1011665.JPG P1011670.JPG

Matthias and DaphneBlue like this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Mesa Boogie DC5. It was a total craptastic amp.
    MIM James Burton Tele off of eBay. I disliked it so much because of the color and it just felt cheap to me. I actually thought it was a fake and was sure the seller was pulling a fast one. He wasn't and I felt bad about the whole deal.

10. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I bought a used Acoustic Lead Guitar Series G120H DSP 120W head, at a thrift store in Queens.... I think I paid $100 and got a small toy car with it.
    [​IMG]

Walked with it several blocks home.

I was living in a small apt, while studying abroad, had no band, had no speakers to plug it into.

Sounded so bad, and was so noisy, that next week I walked back, and the lady at the store must have seen my disappointment face and took it back, returned my money and let me (my son) keep the toy.

Few bucks later I got a Vox AC4C1-BL at GC. Never regretted that!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Tele-Meister

I've never purchased an amp I liked.

My first amp was a Line 6 Spider II 112, 75 watt solid state digital modeling amp that sounded like crap, or worse.

Bought a Vox Vt20x a couple years ago, another solid state digital modeling amp that sounds better, but the controls are difficult.

Currently saving for a Fender Bassbreaker tube amp.

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn't want to spring for the full-sized one...

Attached Files:

bparnell57 likes this.
  13. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

A solid state Marshall amp in about 2004/5, I think an early MG15GFX. Maybe the've improved now but that one was the worst sounding amp I've ever heard. I bought it overseas and it wasn't possible to try it but I thought Marshall, must be OK! Wrong.... Apparently the ones nowadays can 'deliver precise tonal control without sounding processed or artificial' The one I had couldn't.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I walked into Bailey Brothers in Birmingham before Christmas and saw a black on black 2017 SG Standard marked down. I guess, because the 18's were showing up. I bought it. it is a really nice well playing guitar. i will try not to model your behavior and trade it on a something something else.

15. munkholm

munkholm TDPRI Member

Short lived setup of the early 2000s. That RP200 was expensive then! Thats the Yamaha Drop6 baritone electric btw, bought it for the looks .

Attached Files:

16. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I don't know that this is the most stupid, but maybe least useful. I bought this years ago, and thought it would be great for a tremolo guitar that I have with a Gibson type nut. But I just keep looking at it and realizing that:

A. It is too small to fit anything Gibson type I own. Won't fit a Fender slot either.

B. It would probably end up being a source of noise and hassle more than anything else.

[​IMG]

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm sitting here looking at a Peavey Wiggy half stack. It looks pretty cool, doesn't really sound all that great, though. So that's bad.

But I traded a pointy Godin that I hated for it. So that's good.

But I had to drive from LI to Croton on Hudson to do the trade. So that's bad.

But my wife and I had a great dinner while we were up there, so that's good.

What was I saying?

- D

bparnell57 likes this.
  18. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yet another TS clone.

About every two years I convince myself to try to yet another one.

I’ve never liked them, never have, yet somehow I still think I’m going to find that one that will make me understand what everyone else likes.

Anode100 likes this.
  19. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd love a Wiggy!

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's a cool amp, but I can't seem to wring a good tone out of it. I've talked to a friend who runs and electronic service joint about swapping out the tone stacks to make it sound more like a Marshall, but that hasn't happened yet.

I saw one where they actually swapped out the whole amp for a tube head. That would be the best scenario, but I don't think I've got the dough for that.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.