1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

SubZero, AKA Belcat 'Tube-H5'

How to give valve amps a bad name. There's op-amp shenanigans going off in there, inadequate transformers, barely specced components, and I'd swear those capacitors began life elsewhere. There's what appears to be residue d'snot from a previous life. It has one tolerable sound. One. Count it. It can't even cope with a Trio+ without breaking up into the aural equivalent of rat vomit at loud conversation levels. Still, the secondary reason I bought it was for the chassis and cabinet to blodge my own creation into.
    I've yet to make that transplant. It sits there, unused, unloved. Mocking me.

Behringer harmoniser pedal. It has one, maybe two settings that are above pond slime. The drop-whammy isn't too bad, but aside from trying it out, I have no use for it for the space it takes up. The octave function is better than......
    Behringer octave pedal. If you enjoy the sound of drunken Daleks, mating in a metal bin during an electrical storm whilst simultaneously rolling down a fire escape, singing the greatest wailings of Mariah Carey, this is the pedal for you!. Random tracking performed by space weevils. More drop-outs than a ganja social at a third rate university.

Tobias likes this.
  2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Like most newbies, I've succumbed to a couple of impulse purchases. I like the kit well enough but I now know I could have saved some money if I'd done some research instead of just diving in.

The last such purchase was my ES349. It's a great guitar but I should have looked for a second-hand one as it's the guitar I probably play least.

3. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

8U rack case. Because 1 trip to the car is more convenient right?

/maybe if the entire trip is flat, paved, well lit, and entirely free of obstacles

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

My blooper was a Behringer multi fx pedal. They should face criminal charges for selling something that bad

5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I bought a Roland SP-404 sampler because I started digging these sets on Le Mellotron:

Looked so cool! I bet I could do that!

Turns out it's a LOT of work sequencing a whole set's worth of samples and it's super boring to trim and cut samples until they are just right. I am dumb.

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Bareknuckle Emerald humbucker, still have the thing in the guitar but never used. Advice to die hard single coil fans, don't buy an expensive really high output dark sounding humbucker you probably won't like it a whole lot. I've wanted to swap it for a long time now but haven't.

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It was over four years ago. I was out to Yuma Arizona for a couple weeks on some Army flight test endeavors. Long days flying on the Yuma Proving Ground, but plenty of off time too.

As I am fond of doing, I traveled without a guitar, and then I got restless after a few days, and went scouting out the local guitar shops and pawn shops in search of a prize.

Sure enough, I found a crappy Strat-copy in a pawn shop for $39. Bought it cash on the barrel-head, and ran back to the hotel to begin working on it.

It had a true neck, and the electric bits work nicely.
    It was dirty and dusty when I picked it up, but it cleaned up really nicely.

I was an 'El Toro' model by Behringer guitars.
    (It probably cost $120 just a few years earlier, in a kit with a small practice amp, strap, and picks.)
    I like it just fine all by itself for thirty nine bucks.

Surprise, surprise, the guitar sounded really nice.
    I picked-up a Zoom effects pedal and a nice set of headphones the same day, at a proper music store.
    The El Toro sounded really nice electronically, and the pickups and pots were smooth and clean sounding.

The cheapo guitar actually played really well, and stayed in tune. It had some sharp fret wires on the bottom that bothered me, but I buffed those out nice and smooth after a visit to the local hardware store to pick up an inexpensive Chinese-made copy of a Dremel kit. ($11, and it still works to this day.)

In the end, it was a pawn shop prize of the highest order.

So, what's the problem, and what was the stupid guitar gear purchase?

It was the Zoom.
    I bought it impulsively, and the reality was that I had a perfectly fine multi-effects pedal back home in Alabama, but I didn't think to bring it along.

Worse yet, I realized, after I had already bought the thing, I over-paid.
    Yep, I paid $20 more for the Zoom G1XN than it was actually worth.
    I didn't do my homework before I bought it, and I paid the price for my laziness.

Anyway, the Zoom served its purpose, in that I got to enjoy the El Toro guitar for the next week and a half. AND I contributed to the economy of the local merchants. In the end, I sold the the unit to a friend a few months later in Alabama, and lost my a$$ in that deal too, but he was a good buddy, so what the heck?

Speaking of the El Toro strat copy, I ended up selling it to one of the Yuma engineers before I left town. He was a great guy, and looking for a used guitar for his son, who wanted to take lessons.
    I got out of it what I put into it, and everybody won on that deal.

But the Zoom really was an unfortunate bit of guitar gear business for me.
    :(

Here's a photo of the rig from my hotel room back then.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Minimalist518 likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

yeah, me too.

9. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

A Fernandes "Limited" Kramer-type, single humbucker guitar. I paid $75 for it. It's not a bad looking guitar, but is certainly worth no more than I paid for it. I use it as a door stop for my office closet.

10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bought a Dano "Pro". Cool looking but you couldn't play it past the 12th fret! Only good for cowboy chords. One of many bone head impulse buys...

Pro.jpg

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hindsight is 20-20 right? A Boss DR-3 drum machine. I did a lot with it and for awhile I had fun with it, but in the end it was all in vain. I coulda/shoulda have spent all of that time practicing guitar. I bought it used and sold it for almost the same, so little money lost, but mega valuable time lost.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I have a few...

In 1992, I bought a 1964 Fender Mustang. Even though these were popular with the Grunge crowd at the time, I thought I'd take it and play my Texas Roadhouse Music stylings and be a-rockin'...
    Vintage Fender?
    Cool!
    OHSC (silver snakeskin, no less)?
    Cool!
    Faded/yellowed Oly White finish + red tortoise pickguard?
    Awesome!!
    Playability?
    Erm...Hmm. This neck feels like the south end of a northbound dog. In the 1st position, this neck is almost as narrow as a mandolin...and what is this "short scale" you are speaking of?
    WHY DOESN'T THIS GUITAR FEEL RIGHT?!?
    Tone?
    What tone? Whose tone? Where is that tone?
    Sold to a Japanese dude with tiny hands who was happier than a pig in mud. (broke even on money).

Also in 1992...everybody in Austin was using Twin Reverbs; so I just knew that would be the missing piece that would complete my tonal journey...it couldn't be talent or skill--no, it was the amp!
    I thought blackface Fender amps were too expensive (I wish I'd picked up four of them back then, to resell now), so I'll just slide over here and select this silverface master volume Twin Reverb...it's the same model, so it's gotta be the same amp, right?
    Right?
    Anybody??
    It will sound good after getting a tube swap (Groove Tubes!) and bias adjustment...that'll fix it!
    Good Lord, this thing is LOUD...and bright...unless you turn the Treble knob to 0 and the mid and bass way up...but then it's too Muddy and woofy...and it weighs almost as much as I do...
    Directly after buying my '63-reissue Vibroverb, I sold the SFMVTR (broke even financially) to a different Japanese collector who was impressed I knew the proper way to greet a superior in Japanese (I worked for Hitachi at the time) and gave me more than it was worth.

My third guitar was a 1983 G&L Nighthawk...this began a frustrating saga.
    I bought it for $350 in 1991...Later (in 1993) I bought a '62-reissue Stratocaster, which still graces my herd.
    When the Great Guitar and Amp Collection Mortgage Payment Massacres of 1994-1996 hit, I had to choose which Strat-esque instrument to keep.
    My internal dialog:
    -The '62-reissue was the source of the first major argument my wife and I had, so selling it would have dredged up a fight I didn't want to have.
    -At the time, the '62-reissue was worth more, and I was concerned I couldn't afford to buy another one.
    -The '62-reissue was a rarely reissued color and far prettier (Fiesta Red).
    -I had a couple of reliable sources to buy early G&L guitars, so I figured I could eventually find another Nighthawk.

That Nighthawk is the only guitar I ever regret selling.
    (Side note: Did you know there were only 269 Nighthawks produced before the D.C.-area band sent a cease and desist order to King Leo to quit using his name?)
    (Side-Side note: If I were Leo Fender, I would have told them, "I created the Telecaster, the Precision Bass, the Stratocaster, the Jazzmaster, the Jaguar, the Jazz Bass and dozens of amplifiers, other guitar models and devices which helped create the sounds of modern music...which one of my butt cheeks would you like to kiss?"
    However, King Leo was a pragmatic individual and changed the name to the Skyhawk to prevent legal fees.
    I digress...often...
    )
    So I sold the Nighthawk for $450, which made a mortgage payment (I made a good deal when buying my house when I was 21, and had cheap payments).
    Fifteen years later, situations aligned and I was able to simultaneously (1) find and (2) afford another 1983 G&L Nighthawk for $1000.
    It didn't sound the same.
    It didn't feel the same.
    I was unhappy.
    I sold it and broke even.

Sold a 1972(?) Fender Musicmaster bass for reasonably cheap price (made most of a house payment)...although I dislike short scale guitars, I love short-scale basses...now they're getting pretty pricey, and I refuse to pay that much for what would be a (at best) tertiary instrument in my herd.

Similarly, I sold a late 70's silverface Champ amp to get my wife a nicer anniversary present...I don't regret that one, just wish I had the amp for recording purposes.

Disappointments:
    -Greta amp.
    -2011 Epiphone Special 90 (sounded great, but the neck was waaaay too small for my medium-sized hands).
    -Many, many, many distortion pedals.
    -4-button programmable switch that "controlled" the channel/model switching on a Line 6 POD. Massive volume discrepancies between models, even the programmed ones...fortunately was able to use the GC 30-day return policy on day 29.

That's enough, for now.

13. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Zoom 2020 multi-FX, gotta be like 20 years ago or so. Too noisy for recording and too noisy for onstage. So what WAS it good for?

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

15 years ago or so I had a custom Leslie built out of an old Baldwin cabinet. Caveat being, the cab wasn't big enough to house the top horn or the actual amp. So the cab was a Weber speaker, bottom baffle, and motor. Had to set the amp on top. Spent $1000 on it total, and that was WITHOUT the pedal to control the motor speed. So basically half a Leslie.

It kinda had a cool sound, but super dark. Rarely used it on gigs or recordings. Finally sold it for parts separately over the span of a couple years. The empty cab was eventually taken to goodwill. Got about half my money back. Stupid!

15. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Let’s see, there was. Line 6 Flextone II I had in high school. That sounded as awful as one might expect. I also bought a Boss flanger pedal around that time—a totally useless pedal for anything I played then or will ever play now. I bought a fender acoustic off eBay that looked great but had a neck like a banana. Fortunately, I was able to return that one. Other than that, maybe a couple of dirt pedals I could never bond with.

All things considered, my list could be a lot worse. I can probably thank the internet for keeping me from buying too many crap products. On the other hand, it’s probably responsible for me buying a bunch of good products that I really didn’t need, so I expect it’s kind of a wash.

16. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Fender Mustang GT 100. What was I thinking? I’m not a techno kinda guy and you add that to a steady stream of posts about problems and fix’s with the amp and did I listen?....No! What a disaster, and about the shortest love affair I have ever experienced. I was lucky and was able to return it.

17. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

I bought a Tascam USB-??? so I could start recording with my computer. I plugged it in twice and never learned how to use it and sold it with a couple of years. Haven't figured out how much of failure was on my me...95% or 100%?

I still haven't figured out recording, but my motivation is low. Sadly, it's a great way to improve almost everything about your playing.

I'm good with everything else though. I feel more stupid about the stuff I got rid of...

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I guess either the OLP stingray 5 copy that was UTTER rubbish, so much for a cheap foray into 5 string basses,
    Or the Vox acoustic amp, which I can only hope was a flawed one.
    It could not even hsndle the power it made.

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

If I was dumb enough to buy this new string cleaner thing that won best in show at Namm last year or whatever, I'd post it here. I don't feel the need to apologize to my guitars after playing them.

[​IMG]

20. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

An Applause (Ovation's bargain brand) acoustic guitar that I bought in the early 80's. What a stinking turd of a guitar. If I ever catch a kid throwing eggs at my house, I'm going to give him the guitar as punishment.

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.