1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dano Wasabi Chorus-Tremolo pedal... could NEVER get that thing to stay in one setting, and it ate batteries like Roseanne Barr eats bacon...

Yamaha Series I amps from the 70s-I bought TWO of them-such crappy little amps... I'd buy another, just to load it up with fireworks and watch the show...

Early 70's SG II-a waste of wood and wire, just really did not sound good at all. At least I got my money back on that one...

Franc Robert

2. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

anything from guitar fetish or rondo music.

Bob M likes this.
  3. x2plex

x2plex Tele-Meister

Gibson Ripper Bass. 1976 was a rough year for many products and this was no exception. Muddy sound, unstable neck, crappy bridge and a truss that broke itself within two years. There's a reason why these monsters have no collector value.
    For my money, I coulda had a Jazz or P-bass that would be aging like fine wine! :(

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Mine was terrible. In comparison to this, it was a canoe paddle:
    [​IMG]

5. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

I think everyone will say that.

6. JamesL

JamesL Tele-Meister

Other people hate the Talman.....I like mine.....

7. puke hat roy

puke hat roy Tele-Meister

I travel a lot on my job and stay in motels/hotels. I take a MIM standard strat with me. Obviously can't take one of my amps, so bought an Orange Micro Crush. It sounded decent at the store using one of their cheapo guitars. Took it on the road and it is a real piece of junk. You can't use the overdrive button unless volume is nearly off. Big mistake on this one. Then I bought a Vox headphone amp. It was just O.K. The on/off switch broke off the 6 th time I used it. I think I'll just read a book when I learn how.

8. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Like many of you, I've made regrettable pedal purchases, the dumbest ones being the extra floor-control for the POD (which I still like and still use) and some darn multi effect thing from ART (what was I thinking?)
    but the *most* unfortunate purchase would have to be that Korg digital multi tracker I *still* cannot understand how to use.
    I'm pretty happy w/ the Norlin-era LP Custom, the cruelly hacked PV hybrid twin and my craigslist sortacasters.
    Keep this thread going.
    Peace - Deeve

9. netspirit

netspirit TDPRI Member

Bought an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Real nice one, too! Used it zero times.

10. mndean

mndean Tele-Meister

Don't feel bad, I bought a rackmount multi effects thing from ART, and I started to hate it within a week. I thought I'd get some sounds I could use, but no, not a one I could stand. Worst gear purchase I can remember. The other bad purchases I could flip, but nobody wanted the effects box, so I just gave it away.

11. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I made the mistake of buying a used rack mount POD. What was I thinking? It has 41256 different sounds, and not one of them is worth a darn.

12. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

It requires separate power. No control. It's useless save for a very aggressive lead fuzz tone and I'm not into that junk.

13. HOGAROO

HOGAROO NEW MEMBER!

Well thank you, I’m glad someone listens?

14. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Worst purchase....hmm. Been happy with most purchases. But....I’ve got regrets. I pawned a Nashville B Bender Tele for 300 bucks to make a payment. The worst of all would be selling my Danocaster I had had for less than a year to get A/C fixed in a truck I had just bought. The guitar sold in an instant. The truck was a POS and sold 3 or 4 months after I bought it for half what I paid. I’ll never forgive myself for that lol

15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Traded a '65 CAR Strat in on an Am. Std. when they came out in '86. In my defense, it was just another used $300 guitar then. Who knew?
    I also traded a Japanese Rosewood Tele, LP Studio Lite, and $600 for a PRS Custom 24.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

In 1976, passing on a lightly used Fender Deluxe Reverb for a gigantic Peavey Vintage 610... no 18-year-old needs a 120 watt amp.

I'd probably still have that Deluxe...

Minimalist518 likes this.
  17. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

6 year old zombie thread, hmmm

Ok, in a weak moment of martini enhanced boredom I bought a Telefunken 6V6.

Guitar stuff on Amazon prime is just too convenient.

18. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Basically my first “full” pedalboard was just loaded with junk: behringer 7-band EQ, Marshall Guvnor Plus, MXR Dist+, Crybaby 95Q, Boss OS-2 etc. Looking back they did help me get my own sound, but boy did I waste so much coin on stuff that I couldn’t even sell for a song.

More recently, I bought a Levinson Blade strat. Sounded okay-ish and the neck was so skinny it turned me off anything smaller than a modern fender C neck profile. Took me a while to pluck up the effort to sell it off because it looked good and was built immaculately. I’ve since gone the other way and gone out of my way to find necks which are chunky and massive.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Zombie purchases on a zombie thread.
    Circa 1992 I traded a BFDR for a '77 Strat.
    Circa 2006 I bought a Leslie 147 with a 15" EV and the 6550 powered amp.
    I cannot move it by myself.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

My first effects pedal was an Arion flanger. I actually still have it, but it's been over thirty years and I never have had any musical use for it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.