1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. armycopter

armycopter Tele-Meister

I had a similiar experience. Bought the HT-5R after tons of research. Played it for about 3 days and sent it back... I got my $$ back minus the 15% restock fee. Just couldn't bond with it.

2. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

luckily, I haven't had one yet... I have found some use for all of my gear. I don't have a lot of gear compared to a many here on the forum.

I will say that I am rediscovering my first distortion pedal again; an EH Metal Muff. I had some remorse over it, until I plugged it in recently, and played with it a bit. If you turn the distortion down all the way, it has a cool, fuzzy, overdrive tone that I was looking for to play slide. And it cleans up with the volume knob. Who would have thought?

My buyer's remorse primarily comes from using a credit card for purchases.

P.S. 1955,

love that line: "But I am an unreasonable spirit, without a close shave, health insurance, or feelings, and lately I've been doing A LOT of vacuuming."

3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Bought a third ukulele :(

(It was a really bad cheap one. I think I'm going to stick pictures all over it and gift it to someone.)

4. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Ok I mentioned this on a seperate thread but I'll repeat it. I had a SG Standard from the mid/late '90s. I had replaced the pickups with a set of Pearly Gates. I went to the store to find some pickups to replace the replacements with and there it was. A just released Am Std Tele in ash, the sales guy was just hanging it on the wall. GAS took over and the SG, 4 pickups and the cash in my pockets stayed behind and the Tele left with me. I never bonded with the Tele and a couple of months later it was gone and good ridance. I still miss that SG, I'm still searching for the one who may never be. I'm still kicking myself too.

5. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Fender Champion 600. I've had it now for about six months. It's missing something tonally that I cannot quite define, and it has that little tiny hum from the heater wires that WILL NOT GO AWAY no matter what I've tried. I can live with the tonal issues but not with the hum. It drives me crazy. For a toy practice amp it's OK, I guess, and I'll probably end up putting it in my work office so it won't go totally to waste, but I frankly really regret this one.

6. huckdeuceman

huckdeuceman Tele-Meister

FX 25B ENVELOPE FILTER!, and I play mostly country and southern rock!...lol, no Disco for me,:rolleyes: or funk!..but it is a purdy green metalic color...haha!

7. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Squier Vista Series:
    [​IMG]
    Epi Firebird: (Confirmed my theory that red guitars are bad luck)
    [​IMG]
    MIC Dano:
    [​IMG].

8. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

A Line6 Floorpod Plus.

9. Tone Master

Tone Master TDPRI Member

You would be surprised to know that it's made for humbuckers, especially high-output ones. Boss made it for metal players that want acoustic and tinny distortion in one song up on stage. Or so they say. I've never tried it.

10. JRush

JRush TDPRI Member

After several years of not playing I got recruited to join a group at church. I wanted a Strat-type guitar and found one of these cheap:

[​IMG]

There was no way it could have been cheap enough - eBay'ed it for a small loss (which was money well chalked up to experience). I found a great N7 Roadhouse Strat a month later.

11. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

I bought an American Deluxe Telecaster last year. I wanted a really nice Tele, and when I came into some money, I sprang for it. I loved it at first, but after a month or so, I realized I had fallen out of love with it. I can't say I hate it, but I certainly don't love it, and I don't play it that much. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. It's still pristine, and I'd love to trade it for something else. I spent a lot of money on a guitar I rarely play, so that qualifies for a stupid purchase.

12. MahoganyMan11

MahoganyMan11 Tele-Meister

A distortion pedal by boss.

13. FenderNashville

FenderNashville Tele-Meister

A couple purchases that were not ideal for me:

(1) Buying a Dean Maple Exotica acoustic back in the day all because it looked cool. Lasted a whole two weeks before I sold it after realizing it sounds crappy.

(2) Buying a Vox AD15VT before settling on the Fender Vibro Champ XT. The Fender Hybrid creams the Vox hybrid in every respect.

(3) Using D'Addario EXP strings. I bought into the hype that "they last just as long as Elixirs and sound better." Well, no, they don't. They have maybe 60% the lifespan of Elixirs, and they sound worse quickly. Poor value and sound.

14. pavlovsdog

pavlovsdog TDPRI Member

MXR Blue Box

15. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I once owned a Fender Telecoustic! Tele shape, lousy acoustic sound, worst piezo pickup ever

I actually used it to audition for a 19 piece jazz band so I wouldn't have to pull out my red pointy '87 Washburn G series shredder guitar. Somehow I got the job.

16. fatboymjt

fatboymjt Former Member

years ago I bought a old Nady wireless unit...from Duane Steeles band Rock N Horse's guitar player Dave Milner?...next night all plugged in...the middle of my first hot solo...breaks through loud and clear...CAB NUMBER 7... TO THE OLD HOTEL PLEASE!...CAB 7... OLD HOTEL!...LOL..hope youre well and pickin buddy...I still listen to the HIGHWAYS album...and still love your TELE pickin on it....

17. Reverbely

Reverbely Tele-Meister

Fezz one mans trash is another man's treasure. I love my Dano 63. Well until the other day and then all of a sudden wish it had a little more to give. I still think it's a great cheapy. That squirt doesn't look to shabby.

18. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Best post so far.

"47 years old and I bought a V in a parking lot."

Something I'd be tempted to do, and I've got a couple years on you.

19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Mine was probably a Crate V33 head (for home use!) when they blew them out a few years back.

Fortunately I awoke to my stupidity by the time it arrived, so I was able to refuse delivery.

20. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

fender frontman 25r. a boat anchor from the start, except it's really not heavy enough to do that job well either. blah !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.