1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. rlyacht

rlyacht Tele-Meister

That is pretty bad!. However, in the 70's I traded a nice pre-CBS tele for a Binson Echorec. Then I traded the Echorec for something else (forgot). Ironically, now the Echorec would be a very valuable piece of vintage gear (they've gone fof $2500 on ebay!)

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Electro Harmonix " Frequency Analyser " back in about 1976.

Cost heaps and only ever used it in one song Solitary Man left the band shortly afterwards and never used it or played the song again.

Should have just figured out a double stop solo for the harmony part I wanted.

3. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

When I was in Kuwait guitars were a little difficult to acquire and the choice was limited, anyway I decided to buy an Ibanez SA36FM, now this isn't a bad guitar but I got it home and stared at it and I just couldn't get it out of my head that this looked like a spandex clad, curly perm, crotch rock 80's guitar.....I never played it and gave it to a son of a friend that I was desperate to get an electric guitar but his parents wouldn't buy one. It felt nice giving it away but it must have been one of the stupidest buys ever. I think that I paid 170 KD as guitars are more expensive there and gave it away for free.

4. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Digitech Distortion Factory,each setting on the knob sounding more like geese farts.

5. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

My friend has one in his studio and uses it almost exclusively. Somehow, he is able to make it sound good!

Many things I have bought, I go through long periods wondering what I was thinking. But eventually, I find some musically useful sound in everything. Even that horrible Digitech digital rackmount FX box I bought in the 80s -- hated that thing, but danged if it doesn't do some interesting stuff, if you use it on ITS terms!

6. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

An Arctec tremolo pedal. POS. It's in my junk box somewhere, and I have never used the thing.
    Sometimes I think I may have an impulse control problem. :)

7. teleswisster

teleswisster Tele-Meister

D'oh!

8. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

Gretsch White Falcon. The high class hooker of guitars. Looks to die for, promises the earth, but distinctly underwhelming. Fancy clothes, but no underwear.

matrix likes this.
  9. InfiniteRhino

InfiniteRhino Tele-Meister

You're the guy that passed up on signing The Beatles, aren't you?

hellopike and darkwaters like this.
  10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

:lol:

11. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

" I was saving for a Mustang..."

Not your fault, the Bikini babe in the Fender catalog distracted you, could happen to anyone...

MarkSmith76 likes this.
  12. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mostly parts:

A 'd' tuner. Payed too much for it and I later realized it doesn't take much to tune from 'e' down to 'd'.

One of those "Black Ice" distortion bits that are advertised on StewMac. Bought one and while it was being shipped, I came across an article online that tells how to d.i.y. one from a couple of diodes. I would prefer to make one myself.

A 'bottle cap' piezo. It was kind of cool for a bit but I don't need one. Again, I would rather d.i.y. one.

An archtop bridge. I want to build an archtop one day but I didn't need to buy one five years ago. With my skill level and progress, I might be able to use it in another 5 years.

All these parts and more are in a box in my shop.

13. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

Stupid guitar gear purchase? Moi? NEXT THREAD!

14. nadnitram

nadnitram Tele-Meister

About a year agom I traded an Affinity Telecaster for an Epiphone Explorer Beast. Dumb! I wanted to try something with humbuckers, but I'm fat and 40+, and have no interest in metal. Luckily, I was able to re-trade it for a Squier Tele Custom, so it all worked out in the end.

About three weeks ago, I picked up a Danelectro Baritone on CL. As it turns out, a guy with short fingers and a 30" scale are not a good match. Who'd a thunk it? Time to put it back on CL for another trade.

15. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

For some ungodly reason years ago, I bought a Rocktron 'Tsunami' Chorus pedal sight unseen off eBay that sounded like the worst '80s chorusing effect you ever heard in your life! Hated that thing from the first moment I hit the footswitch. Never could get a decent sound out of it with my gear to save my life. Gave it to my nephew who thought it was great. I still cringe though whenever I'm at my sister-in-law's house and I hear him play through it. Simply awful IMHO.
    I also bought a slightly used, but decent looking Republic 'Miniolian' Resonator guitar one time off of CL for a pretty cheap $80! Of course, I didn't notice until I got it home (and the seller never revealed - not HIS fault - MINE) that it needed the cone reattached to the top to be really playable. After spending another $220 on a repair to the cone/top, I decided it just didn't have the sound I was looking for and it's still laying around here somewhere unplayed and can't find a buyer for it any time that I've tried. Dumb!

16. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

In college after someone broke into my dorm and smashed my Peavey Ecoustic guitar, I traded my 1st production year Gibby Nighthawk AND my Classic 30 for a piece of ***** Ovation. If I could just go back 17 years...

darkwaters likes this.
  17. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

In 1983 I bought a Jackson Randy Rhoads... Looked meaner than Darth Vader's personal Imperial Tai Fighter, but what an absolute POS...

Sometime in the late 80's I traded a 1980 Gibson Custom Shop ES335 for a Tascam PortaOne and an SM57. At the time, the trade-in value of the guitar was comparable to the retail value of the 4-track and mic, but looking back, I still feel like a dumbass. :rolleyes:

18. OrangeAgent27

OrangeAgent27 TDPRI Member

Bought a Floyd Rose Strat, not just not having any idea what it was, but thinking it meant it was a hard tail. You....could imagine my disappointment. Luckily I was able to sell it for the money I paid for it. Phew, talk about sick to your stomach!

19. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

Impulse buy of an ibanez rg 7-string.
    Was almost a steal used but the only useful thing i ended up using it for was playing country stuff where the bass went down to the low b. Well about a year later i sold it for a profit even though there was a huge chip in the paint on the upper bout that the strap button of my tele left. :lol:
    I put the money towards a used gibby lp studio. A keeper that i love to death!

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say music in general has been a pretty ridiculous purchase. But I am an unreasonable spirit, without a close shave, health insurance, or feelings, and lately I've been doing A LOT of vacuuming.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.