1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

A Dean Leslie West Signature guitar, bought pretty cheap on CL. One humbucker that measures 16K ohms DC resistance. The mushiest sounding pickup I've ever heard!

2. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Line 6 spider iii 112 was my first amp.

Sucked so bad i went and got a 2x12 hrdeville. Way too loud to use. Nice enough amp i guess.

Byoc wah kit was a waste of money like my dunlop wah more.

Kinman pups for my strat. Nice and everything but stupid money and i no longer like noise canceling pickups.

Id say i regret the spyder the most.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

3. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

After pestering a Pawn Shop owner and playing almost all his stock of crappy guitars,(without realy wanting to buy anything). So I bought a Digitech DeathMetal pedal from him .

It does only one thing ,Sound Like DeathMetal.

Then a month ago I found a DigiTech Grunge pedal for cheap and just had to buy it.

It turns out to sound Exactly the same as the DeathMetal !

Piggy Stu likes this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

How about a stupid "non-purchase"?
    In 1963 I had a chance to get a 1959 Les Paul Standard for $100. I was saving for the new Fender Mustang, so I held off.

tintag27 and DougM like this.
  5. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Danelectro "foxx tone" green fuzz. Could never find a use for it, still trying. Won't sell it though.
    Lil Big muff, would sell it but the power jack crapped out.

90's american standard strat, just the totally wrong guitar for me, insanely thick finish. Bland tone.

6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Line 6 Variax 500. Played it for maybe a year...Gave it away.

MerleJam likes this.
  7. doof

doof Tele-Holic

my very first guitar i bought from my summer job savings back in the 90's: A Squier Strat mini. i ended up trading it for a ridiculously heavy Vantage strat copy, which i eventually sold for $40.

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Some kind of Line6 pocketPOS.

Sounded like crap. Got it thinking I would use w/ headphones but that's not the way I play. Used it 3 times (1 hr). eBay > eBay full circle.

9. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

A Squier '51. I allowed myself to get pulled into the orbit of the 51 modder community and bought one on eBay. As soon as I got it I realized it was a huge mistake. A total POS that was going to take a lot of time and effort to make into something that might be worthwhile.

10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

What model did you purchase? I've never played a Gretsch I didn't like at least a little bit. That said, I've never played a Beast or a Committee, so I guess that leaves the door open a crack.

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Around 1985 or so I bought some brand new Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker pickups.

That I then had the store install in my completely stock 1969 USA Gibson Les Paul Classic Black Beauty. I didn't even think to ask for the original pickups back, I'm sure the guys in the guitar store thought I was insane, but they made the sale anyway... and kept the original pickups.

I still own that Les Paul, but why didn't I leave it stock? :confused: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tintag27 likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

DOD Supra Distortion. I needed a distortion pedal after not using one for many years. It sounded pretty good in the store, but it never sounded right with my rig. I also owned a Boss Metal Zone pedal for a while. I had it modded and I still hated it. Luckily, I was able to trade it for a Barber Direct Drive.

I traded my first Twin Reverb for a Music Man 130 head after reading that Mark Knopfler used one. I took it back two days later and got my Twin back.

13. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

1994-I saw a 1969 Gibson SG Standard in a Pawn Shop for $199 and didn't buy it.

1999-2000 There was a string of fake Tom Anderson Guitarworks guitars floating around some nearby pawn shops. I bought one and took it to GC to trade it in thinking I might have made a decent return towards my Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, where I learned it was a fake. But I ended up with the Gibby HoRo and I still got it today and still love it so... happy ending

14. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't necessarily call it a stupid purchase but i did pay 50$ for an old Harmony Flying V knowing fully well that it would probably just be a wall hanger. However in the meantime i did manage to get my hopes up that I could turn it into a player, so I was a little disappointed when I finally had to come to grips with the fact that the neck was beyond hope. It still may become a flying T with an extra tele neck I have lying around.

15. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much every lead-type overdrive I've bought since purchasing an MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive probably ten years ago. I keep coming back to it and wonder why I ever thought I'd find something better.

16. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Yeah, me too- no good sounds in that thing. Don't know what I was thinking...

17. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

Make that two!:D

'though I remember mine having an expression pedal, whichever model that was. Thought it was an easy out compared to having a bunch of pedals......

......the only piece of gear I've ever returned. Brought it back to the GC I bought it from, and when entering it into the register, the clerk asked me why I was returning it. He looked at the box, then me, then the box again, and said "Yeah.....I get why."

Instant store credit. Best thing Digitech has ever done for me....

I could do nothing but play that boring Pantera riff. "Dung dunga dah duhn...dugga duhn WAH!" x2

Last time.....

18. Woody Duke

Woody Duke Tele-Meister

Traded a '61 sunburst Strat for an Ampeg Dan Armstrong. DOH!

tintag27 and brookdalebill like this.
  19. dmarg1045

dmarg1045 Friend of Leo's

Back in the winter I obsessed about building a big (for me) pedalboard. For a few months I went kinda nuts buying a good-sized Pedaltrain, a PP2+ and a bunch of new (to me) pedals. Cool stuff, to be sure, but I prefer gigging with only a few pedals. Plus, I'm not even gigging much lately, so I kind of assembled it for no reason. At the time it was almost all I could think about, though. Kind of like my grandson and Monster Jam.

20. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Ooh, almost forgot. I got a Fender Telecoustic a few years back. Despite attempts at a few different pro set ups, it still was never good for more than shooting arrows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.