Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Guitar wise it'd have to be an Arbiter copy of the Gibson double neck that I traded my Hohner Arbour series Strat for in about 1984. I wanted a 12 string, and this came with 6 and 12. No case - never found one for it. Way too heavy to play standing for more than 5 minutes, and every time anyone saw it for the first time there was the inevitable "Stairway" request. Still didn't loose money when I sold it so not all bad.

Amp wise it was an Orange Tiny Terror. Some people love them - it won best new amp in the year it came out but me, I hated it. Muddier than a hairy dog after a muddy walk. Never found a sound I liked in it. Couldn't get rid fast enough. Moral of that one: go and play the amp before buying - don't go on reviews and recommendations...

savofenno likes this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

My wife, who has never had a problem spending my money, bought one of these new for our daughter at Christmas. She might have turned it on once, and I've had it on a couple of times. I don't know if it's worth anything now or not, but it's definitely not worth shipping if it is because it weighs a ton.

https://reverb.com/item/8822189-fen...goH72AIVlYqzCh02FgNCEAQYASABEgL4efD_BwE&pla=1

[​IMG]

At that time I did not play guitar so I was useless for advice on that purchase.

The same year I bought our daughter a MIM strat that I still have. She really wanted a BC Rich pointy guitar and gave up playing not long after.

3. tehanallang

tehanallang Tele-Meister

Traded in a Japanese JM 66 for an indonesian G&L Bluesboy semi. Been kicking myself for a while.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mine were a long time ago, and they were trades.
    When I was a teenager I did three really dumb ones.
    The first was trading a SF Princeton Reverb for a cheap, crappy 5 string banjo.
    The next was trading a 1963 SB Jazzmaster for a red 1965 ES330 with a damaged top.
    The bridge P90 was about an inch from the strings.
    I had to have a guitar that looked like (to me) Alvin Lee’s.;):(
    The third, and dumbest was trading my 1969 100W Marshall Plexi head for a very early white Mesa Boogie 50W head.
    Doh!

Minimalist518 and savofenno like this.
  5. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

I once paid money for a five string acoustic fretless bass, which combines the 3 most useless features of bass guitars.

mimmo, Asmith and brookdalebill like this.
  6. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I’m starting to think “all of them”... I’ve got a basement full of highly modified guitars (modified with $$$ parts I might add) and what I’ve been playing the most lately, is my dead-stock $55 Walmart Sawtooth Tele copy....

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Not a guitar but an amp. A few years ago I saw new Bugera 120 watt twins for sale at $265. I hadn't played through a big twin for about 50 years so I bought one. It was fun trying to shatter glass for a week or so but I got bored with it. Like many of my discarded toys no one else wants it either.

8. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

G&L Bluesboy is a rather good guitar for itself, i have one bought cheaply, but MIJ Fender Jazzmaster is of course more valuable. Was the reason for trade possibly tremolo bridge problems?

9. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

So embarrassed...

No, the Russians haven't figured out how to make a solid state tubes for valve amps...

Capo.png

It's a capo... which takes a minute to install (have to tighten it with a screw knob at the back).

I bought it 30+ years ago, and still use it because I can't be bothered to get a proper one. I have no shame!

10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I bought a Fender Japan mini Telecaster on the local auction site last night, it cost $150. I don't really need another Tele, let alone a mini, I put in a bid of $150, and, to my surprise, no one outbid me. I'll post a few pics after I receive it.

11. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I sold a vintage '60 convertible VW bug that had semaphores (very rare) for $800 and my pick of any Rickenbacker I wanted. I was in a "band" and they wanted me on bass so I picked out a Fireglo 4001 stereo bass. I soon had a neck that was completely unplayable (They worked for Rick and it was probably a 2nd) I lost interest in it and sold it cheap. I never wanted to play bass in the first place.
    Last week, I was bidding on a tele body on eBay, I didn't think I would win it, so I bought another one "buy it now."

I ended up with both of them. Not a terrible issue, both are REALLY nice, but I can't put a ****ty neck on it, so I'll embark on another build or sell it......I never learn.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. wb4h

wb4h TDPRI Member

Anybody want a Martin strat?

13. tehanallang

tehanallang Tele-Meister

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73862

That body Size. I'm an extremely skinny 5'6 guy. I felt like those toddlers on youtube with full sized acoustics. That being said, THAT NECK. Fender Japan is brilliant.

14. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Pretty much everything I have ever bought with the intent to save money over what I really wanted. It took me a long time to figure out at that it's cheaper to get what you want and buy it once...when I cheap out I end up owning the cheap option and the real deal later.

15. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Usually but not exclusively it's an artist related purchase. I like the artists but that doesn't always mean their kit suits me

Gilmour Strat. One of the early signed book ones. Didn't keep it but a week. An uncomfortably numb guitar.
    Collectors Choice #1 Melvyn Franks (basically Greenie but NOS) LP. Meh in spades. I own more musical garden rakes.
    Vox AC30 HW2. Last piece of kit Gary Moore bought. Returned to shop as not part of his estate. Waay too lound for home use.

Currently own a Johnny Marr Jag in Sherwood Green (lovely) and a smashing Mark Knopfler (58) LP so am not learning lessons!

mimmo likes this.
  16. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

A Guitar Fetish XV570, with the mini trons. THE ABSOLUTE WORST GUITAR I'VE EVER PURCHASED. Supposed to be just cosmetic blemishes but the thing is a POS. Truth be told it was less than 2 bills not counting shipping, and other than the paint over spray it is a very good looking guitar. BUT that is where it ends. I didn't realize at the time of purchase that I had to pay shipping back, you only get store credit when returned etc.etc. I also noticed that looking at the fret board the other day cause fretting out was driving me nuts after I though I had it fixed, that the board is tapered more to the treble side so it looks like a hill. Looked at other "cheap" guitars I have and none of the fret boards are like that. High on base side and low on treble side. Live and learn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.