1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Admit Your Stupid Guitar Gear Purchase Here

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Jul 9, 2012.

1. taxer

taxer Banned

OK, folks, here you can confess. Get it off your chest. Admit any dumb guitar gear purchase.
    I'll go first.

I have not one, but two amps with beautiful built in chorus (a Roland Jazz Chorus and a Fender Princeton Chorus), yet I bought a BOSS Chorus pedal.

I confess my stupid purchase...but I don't feel better.

DaphneBlue and Nickadermis like this.
  2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Guess I'll have to go with my Weber MASS. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of equipment with my Classic 30, but it just doesn't help out with the one thing I bought it for, my 5150 Combo. The 5150 just loves to be loud. The Classic 30 can be tamed, but the 5150, not so much.

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Uh, I bought some push-fit knobs without realising that they wouldn't fit the solid shaft pots on my Tele?

I also bought a Little Big Muff Pi and, while it was a good sounding pedal, it only really did one sound and that was it. So that went back on eBay. The thing is, I'm starting to think similar thoughts about my Boss FZ-3. If anyone can recommend a decent, cheap fuzz pedal/kit please PM me (so as not to derail what is sure to be an excellent thread ;)).

4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Boss ME20 multi-effect thingy... it was before I had really experienced the difference between digital and analogue. At least it was useful in teaching me the difference and it has a pretty good tuner on it.
    I first suspected there was something going on when I got myself a Vox ac15c1... as soon as I got it, a very non-violent friend of mine said something like: "Great amp congratulations! But if I see you plug that Boss into it, I will kill you with my bare hands". He was right... I never told him that I tried it! :-D

5. RollingThunder75

RollingThunder75 Tele-Meister

I bought one of those Vox Brian May Deacy amps they sold a few years ago. It's a one trick pony if there ever was one. Sadly, it's a trick I'll never have the ability nor the other gear to perform. I still have the amp, though, because I don't know what to do with it. Plus, it's kinda pretty.

6. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Behringer Delay pedal once, just because it was there, it was cheap and I didn't know any better. Completely useless piece of kit. Just impossible to get a usable sound out of it.

hemingway likes this.
  7. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Boss acoustic simulator.

985plowboy and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Seasicksailor

I almost did that a couple of weeks ago... not sure what stopped me but I'm glad you confirm my decision!

9. TheWalkingWounded

TheWalkingWounded Tele-Meister

An Emperor 6x12 cab. Although it sounded awesome, it was completely impractical. It weighed in at over 100lbs. I played one show with it and then decided it had to go.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

There's been so many over the years I can't face any of them.

11. Seasicksailor

Did you just leave it on the stage? That's what I would have done! :D

kookaburra and tintag27 like this.
  12. Chris Browne

Chris Browne Tele-Holic

VT Lunchbox. I feel a little better - thanks OP.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

When I got back into playing guitar after a 12 year hiatus, I bought a Charvel Surfcaster copy: Kokocaster on the internet. 1) I had never played one before, but it looked kinda Rick-ey, and had lipstick pickups, and 2) It was new.

[​IMG]

Now, it was a good guitar, but it felt and played like a Gibson, and I am a Fender and Danelectro kinda guy. Plus, the sound of the lipsticks was not jangle.

Since I bought it new, I lost my shirt when I sold it.

14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I did do that, still sitting in the back seat of my truck... it was $8... didnt think i could go wrong.

15. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

An Italia Modulo Tipo III, an absolutely POS if there ever was one. It looked cool, but played like a complete turd. The bridge was set into the body wrong so it wouldn't intonate, and it wouldn't stay in tune no matter what was done to it. It was blue sparkle with a distinctive pickguard. I loved the looks, but hated the way it played.

This is the red sparkle model. Take my advice; don't ever buy one!

Attached Files:

16. Johmo

Johmo TDPRI Member

Epi Valve Special POS. Anyone want to buy it?

Other bad gear I have owned: Crate IIR (with extension speaker); Peavey Bandit; Bently LP copy; Bently Acoustic; Rockman (II I believe); Farfisa organ; Korg synth of some type.

17. Johmo

Johmo TDPRI Member

Forgot about the Hondo Longhorn Guitarlin. Unplayable. WTF was I thinking?

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been pretty satisfied with all my purchases I can think of, but I've made 'way too many of them altogether. Sometimes I wish I'd just stayed with the two acoustic guitars I bought in the first place, only bought better ones to start with, and I don't really need so many electrics or so many amps. I've given away lots of the stuff I bought; I'd rather do that than hassle with selling it.

I have bought a couple acoustics that were less playable than I wish they'd been, and spent money that I wish I'd saved for something else.

19. Highlander64

Highlander64 TDPRI Member

I bought a berhinger slow motion... What was I thinking!

20. Prison Rodeo

Prison Rodeo Tele-Meister

eBay casualty: Yamaha Pacifica 112 with a mis-matched Yamaha "samurai" neck on which the owner had scalloped the fingerboard himself. With ... some sort of power tool. Not sure.

I love Pacificas, but this was a real abortion of a guitar. Complete mess.

I took it apart, and the pieces now live in my basement workshop, waiting to be cannibalized (though the neck is a lost cause).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.