Adjusting Cabronita pickups...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 2HBStrat, Dec 14, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Who here has adjusted their Cabronita pickups? And how?

I have a 2012 Fender Cabronita with Fidelitron pickups. I bought the guitar NOS in 2016 and I'm pretty sure everything on the guitar, is just like from the factory. So I noticed that the pole screws on the pickups are raised up from the top of the pickup, and I'm thinking about screwing them down flush with the top of the bridge pickup so I can raise the entire pickup and hopefully get a bit more output from it.

Thoughts?

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Assuming the tops of the pole pieces are the same distance below the strings in both cases, having the pickup body low and the pole pieces high will give you a cleaner treblier sound, and having the pole pieces screwed down low with the pickup body high will give you a midrangier thicker sound.

the distance of the pole pieces below the strings in either case sets the volume, and can be adjusted individually for each string.

2HBStrat and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Here's what TV Jones recommend:

upload_2019-12-14_20-20-30.jpeg

BorderRadio and 2HBStrat like this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

When I bought my PRS McCarty, I read about playing with the poles height vs global pickup height and tried every combination possible.
    I fell into a rabbit hole because it does actually change the tone, but in such a subtle way that it became impossible for me to decide what I liked best. So I ended up tweaking each time I was playing that guitar.

When I finally decided to swap the original pickups for a set of OX4, I made myself the promise to never touch the height of the pole screws. It’s been such a relief for more than a year now :rolleyes:

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Height adjust has different results on different guitars, no two guitars sound the same. Closer to the strings does get you more volume, but it will also get you more treble on the high side and more bass on the low side resulting in pickups that are often tilted to one side or the other. Low pickup heights get you better tone.

Filtertron type pickups are low output pickups with lots of treble. If you want more output, turn up the amp's volume.

bender66 likes this.
  6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I have two Cabs and they do seem very sensitive to pickup height. I tried the Fidelitron individual polepiece adjustment but it didn't do much and, if anything, the D and G sounded a bit off.

Having the polepieces even and about half a turn above the cover works for me, with the pup a bit higher than on my single coil guitars. Mine weren't flush with the cover when the guitar was new.

I've also got the treble side higher, which really helps with the neck pup. Def worth playing around tho.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Otoh maybe Fender knows what they're doing with the factory pickup adjustment?

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Do the MIM's come spec'd with 250k pots? I know I'm beating a tired horse but the Squiers did (same Fidelitrons). No amount of pickup adjusting made a bit of difference until I threw in a 500k. Happiness.

I scored another set from someone on ebay/reverb? Seller said he pulled them off his
    MIM. They're both bridge pickups it seems. My Squier gets 2 different readings on bridge/neck.
    Any MIM owners that can check this? Not that it matters. They're goin into a hollow regardless.

BorderRadio and Zepfan like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

“Any Major Gretsch Dude Will Tell You” — Filtertrons are best served close to the strings. TVJ’s recommendations are a great starting point.

I found Fidelitrons to be hotter than HS Filters and TV Jones Classics, with lots of compression. I screwed down all the poles for the bridge pickup and set them to TVJs height. The neck pickup was what I didn’t like. It was too mushy for the bass strings, if I still had a Cab I’d get a T-Armond or TVJ Classic. To help compensate, I raised the poles up higher than “normal” and lowered the bass side down from the TVJ standard. This tightened things up a tad. I also replaced the volume pot with a 500k, but not necessary if you like the high end you’re getting now.

bender66 likes this.
  10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Sounds good. I did add a treble bleed to the volume control on my Cab. That made a LOT of difference since I use the volume control a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.