Adding reverb to a small 5F2-A. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tubedood, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Hi again folks and hope the day has been treating you well.

I am liking the 5F2-A build, it has a lot of nice sounds but I was wondering on what the general thoughts might be on a little circuit tweak, along the lines of a reverb?

I saw a few neat ideas I am curious about... a "Single tube reverb" I saw on Doug Hoffmans's site by Tubenit.

I also am interested in a solid state reverb on Rob-Robs site.. maybe try that with one of the Belton/Accutronics brick thingys?

They seem interesting and with a low parts count so I think it should be do-able.
    Here are the schematics so if time allows look it over and let me know what I could be expecting!
    reverb schematic and layout.GIF

SS_Reverb_Hot_Rod_Deluxe_SS_Reverb.jpg

2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

3. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Thanks for your insight RollingBender, Very much appreciated!

Will space be an issue? I have some room but I don't work too well in cramped areas.

_DSC0375 (3).JPG

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Personally, I wouldn't bother. The tweed amps EQ doesn't lend itself as well to reverb. You'd need to make sure your PT has enough current for another tube, punch a tube socket hole, and add all the other things. It would likely turn out better to just build an amp with reverb OR build a reverb unit.

tubedood likes this.
  5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Are you opposed to just using an inexpensive pedal? Likely sound better,be more flexible. You start adding parts you may be inviting more noise.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  6. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Thank you Corliss, It is just a thought at this moment. I hear the pedals they make now are pretty decent so maybe on this little amplifier it isn't worth all the trouble.

7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Exactly what I was just thinking jimgchord!

I have heard great things about the "Hall of Fame" reverb pedal and a few others.

rogb likes this.
  8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Great idea!! Nothing like a touch of reverb and trem to wettin’ up a sound. I use a little reverb with my 5f1.

tubedood likes this.
  9. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I just got a hall of fame 2...you won't be disappointed. Any mid tier pedal from your favorite brand has a really good reverb pedal. Or you can always go all out with an eventide or strymon.

tubedood likes this.
  10. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

The hall of fame is the one I have. It works quite well in a 5f2a.

tubedood likes this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I took reverb out of a tweed Twin... Yeah, two owners before me got late 60's happy and changed the circuit to be a Twin Reverb, sans trem. I restored the amp to it's original circuit. It still has the extra tube holes in the chassis, though.

But, I never heard the reverb working in this amp... Not a lot was working when I got it.

With my Twin (and two other tweeds), I use a Catalinbread Topanga. It simulates the Fender tube unit. It's the first reverb pedal I ever heard that I instantly loved (usually it was an instant hate). Now, I'm addicted to it! I even bought a second one as part of the grab and go setup. That pedal and a tweed amp are all I really need.

kingofdogs1950 and tubedood like this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The problem as Corliss1 said is the Tweed preamp has a certain character, the BF doesn't.

Clean for one thing. The Tweed has overtones going on that sort of obviate a reverb. If you have volume or gain low reverb can be sweet - but then why Tweed in the first place? Even on a Brown amp I tend to think reverb is superfluous.

On my 4210 Marshall the character of the clean channel is a little bit woody - but it's cleaner than a DR cranked. And the dirty channel is so dirty at any usable volume level reverb is virtually indiscernible. That's how Marshall set it up.

tubedood likes this.
  13. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

There’s room in there but, like others are telling, you are probably better off with a pedal. Planning for it and building it has its challenges... adding reverb after the build is done creates a whole new pile of challenges on top of that.

rogb and tubedood like this.
  14. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

The greatest reverb would be post-speaker. The arrangement for doing that depends on your situation - bedroom or stage.

15. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

I like a plate reverb on my tweeds. Lots of pedal options there. One key for me is a pre-delay control that keeps the reverb away from the attack of the note. Tweeds, Marshalls, and Voxes all sound better with plate-style verb, instead of spring, to my ears, and one that has a pre-delay control preserves the character of those circuits.

16. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Could you elaborate on this thought please? I understand the tweeds are more of a flat EQ, lacking the BF et al mid scoop. How does this relate to the reverb?

17. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

@sds1 - maybe? I'm not a brilliant amp designer or electronics wizard by any stretch - I just do troubleshooting to make things work.

Look at a Deluxe Reverb schematic and compare the normal channel to vibrato channel. The "non-verbed" audio goes through a .047 cap off to the phase inverter.

The verbed signal goes through a .002 in one stage (cutting more bass stuff, which you don't want in your reverb sound anyway) and a .003 in the next stage, so much less bass is being let through there.

Even earlier in the preamp on both channels there are differences too. Tweed coupling caps, like the 5E3, are .1 to a simpler tone stack, while the Deluxe Reverb has three caps going to the different controls. It's a common mode to change the 5E3 caps to help reduce the "bass flub" on those amps.

I *think* all that is right...but I'm sure others will chime in.

18. Bitsleftover

Bitsleftover Tele-Meister

I put the exact one tube reverb into my 5f2a and love it.
    I too struggle for space so I built it into a Hammond enclosure and mounted it to the side or the chassis.
    I love it so much, I’m about to start on a tremolo in a matching enclosure at the other end of the chassis.
    I utilised the effects loop I fitted earlier so I can run other effects before or after reverb if I wish.
    Here’s a pic-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean Mac and tubedood like this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I say go for it! I use the fender reverb pedal on my 5f2a but it would be awesome to have 'real' reverb! DO IT!

tubedood likes this.
  20. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

There is no reason reverb can not be used with a non-scooped sound. Usually a clean sound is preferred, clean Tweeds sound good also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.