adding effects post recording

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by teleprompted, Mar 3, 2014.

1. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Hey all, I'm looking for advice adding effects after recording. I'm hoping there's a way to use my pedalboard as an effects loop of sorts.
    Right now I mic my amp with the effects the way "I think" I want them. Problem is I have to re-record if I change my mind. I would especially love to be able to record clean and adjust the dirt after recording. Is there a good way to do this? I have an audio interface and a mixer if that helps. Also, I use sony acid pro. Any help is appreciated.

2. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

I'm not familiar with your setup, but you might be able to reamp.

You record a dry track, guitar only, and maybe a second track at the same time with your effects and amp (you can mix that second track in later or not use it at all).

Then you can set up a third track and send that dry track back out to your amp/effects and dial them in however you want; move mic position, etc. You can change stuff as many times as you want because you haven't "printed" any effects on that third track until you record it.

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Do you have effects in your DAW?

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

what is your recording platform ?

5. teleprompted

Thanks scatman. I will give that a try. So I would send the recorded dry signal out to my pedalboard and back to my amp then mic the amp again and play around right? Are there any issues with voltage of the signal? I won't fry my pedals will I?

Not sure what someone meant about my recording platform. But, I play a tele into a blues deluxe. My interface is an m audio fastrack. The mixer is a behringer 4 bus mixer and my daw is acid pro. I use a vocal mic to mic the amp. Its a beta 58a. Hope this helps

6. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

I think something like this is pretty much what you are looking for. You want to be able to take the recorded track out at a level comparable to the level your guitar output would be. Then you'd process that through your amp or pedals and reintroduce it to your recordings. This Radial Engineering Reamp is one of many products that can do that.

http://www.radialeng.com/jcr.php

7. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

8. teleprompted

Also, there are effects in my daw but I don't use them much. I use the eq and compressor but not much else. I love my drive pedals especially and wouldn't want to add any kind of dirt through the daw itself. Unless you have some interesting suggestions for using them.

9. woodman

Definitely understand not wanting to commit to distortion going in the the DAW. Not familiar with Acid, but the ones I've worked in (Garageband, Pro Tools and currently Logic Pro), you can track with in-the-box effects and amp sims and retain the ability to tweak them afterward — in fact you can revert to the squeaky-clean uneffected track just by disabling them. Total flexibility when mixing time comes.

My workspace is tiny with a low ceiling, so it's impractical to record a cranked amp. So I use Amplitube, POD Farm and Logic's Amp Designer, each with a full suite of effects, for tracking guitar. ... That way, I can play the part with the overdrive "feel" but won't be stuck with those settings as the mix develops.

I get the sense that you're trying to re-create your live sound so this might seem like a non-starter for you, but it's worth thinking about down the road. Good luck!

10. teleprompted

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in a seminar right now but will check all this stuff out later tonight. Woodman, I've used guitar rig before and wasn't totally unsatisfied. Maybe ill revisit it again. My brother has it set up so I can try it there.

11. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

When you record, patch in a passive DI directly out from the guitar and pass through into your amp where you place you mic, as usual.

Later, when you want to change the tone/dirt/effects, take your recorded DI track only and route it to an audio output on your interface. Patch that signal into the XLR connection on the passive DI and then run 1/4" into your pedal board and out to your amp with your mic setup as usual.

Taking the signal out of the computer requires a low impedance to high impedance conversion (that's what the DI is doing in reverse) as well as an attenuation of signal.

Engage the pad on the DI while 're-amplifying' and you may need to bring the fader down in your DAW as well so you don't distort the pedal board unintentionally. Note that this will not work with an active DI.

12. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

This is just my opinion, but I would be wary of going A to D into your DAW, D to A back out to your pedals, and then back A to D into the DAW. That's a lot of conversion (and impedence matching) and IMHO you'll probably lose more in the bargain than it's worth just to grab dirt from a pedal (and a PITA as well). All that aside, the mic you're using is good for live vocals but is not necessarily a stellar mic for recording guitar, but hey, we've all used worse. :lol:

Guitar Rig, Amplitude, etc... are very easy and good sounding "in-the-box" solutions that allow for staying within the digital domain and being able to tweak to your heart's content with amp sims, cab sims, pedal sims, effect sims, rack unit sims, etc... in any order and any combination.

I use both the Fender stuff and the NI stuff and happen to like some things on Fender's platform better, and some things on NI's platform better. I haven't recorded an amp in years and likely won't unless I'm recording a live band session.

13. woodman

Chud, all good points, especially the multi-conversion syndrome. ... Like you, I gave up long ago on live miking of amps except in pro situations, and have managed to muddle through with sims. The trick is to take half an hour to dial in your tone, just like you would with a new amp (except more complex and multi-dimensional). ... For me, once I realized it was beyond my capabilities to clone my live sound, it was a matter of honing a new skill — and branching out your skills is what makes art.

Slightly OT, but the Fender stuff had faded from my view ... was that Amplitube? I looked at those models some years back but was broke as a convict so no go. Seems like they had a sweet-sounding Twin and also some Hendrix stuff. Any strong opinions on that front?

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the Amplitude Fender pack is nice. The Twin is really nice, and I really dig the Bassman and other bass amp sims. Never did get to try the Hendrix sims but heard good things.

The Native Instruments Guitar Rig stuff is what i mostly use just because I have the whole Komplete setup and it all integrates very nicely. A lot more models on all fronts comparatively as well without having to buy separate packs like the Amplitude gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.