Adding an extension speaker to a Peavey Delta blues

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
I have a Peavey Delta blues combo and would like to add a speaker cab to it. If I plug the extension can into the speaker jack on my amp will the combo speaker and the cab both work or does the cab speaker cancel out the combo speaker?

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
The extension speaker is 16 ohm, so I guess it's good to go? Thanks for the info, new at this and obviously don't want to fry my amp.

KeepItSimpleTele

Tele-Meister
Yup. If your extension cab is 16ohms then it’s good to go :) Simply plugging in the extention jack switches the output transformer into 8 ohm mode. It’s a switching jack for the two available taps on the these transformers.

16 ohm external speaker + 16 ohm stock internal speaker in parallel = 8 ohms.

Golden! BTW. The Delta blues is a wicked good amp!

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
The extension speaker is 16 ohm, so I guess it's good to go? Thanks for the info, new at this and obviously don't want to fry my amp.

Some amps, typically larger Fenders will tolerate a 100% mismatch either way. So you can run an 8 ohm amp like a Deluxe on 4 or 16 ohms.

But many amps and I'd include virtually any EL84 amp is not quite so friendly. At best you'll use the tubes up faster. At worst you risk damage to tubes, bias circuit and potentially output transformer. Peavey set these amps up as @KeepItSimpleTele says to use the right impedance as long as you plug the correct load in. So the tubes will 'see' the load they are anticipating under their preset operating condition and the transformer is operating in the correct conditions.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
Good to know. I've had the Delta blues for a long time and don't really feel the need for an extension can, but I just bought the mini 20 head and cab and thought it would be fun to try the cab with the delta blues. Actually bought the mini 20 to give the tubes in the delta blues a break.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I've used my Delta Blues with both a Classic 115E and a Classic 212 cabinet.
The sound is just huge when you add an extension cabinet to the Delta Blues.
As others have already noted, be sure it is a 16 ohm cabinet.

Grandfunkfan

Tele-Meister
It's the Peavey 112 cab with a celestion v30. 16ohm. BTW, have you noticed if you're going through power tubes faster with the extension can?

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
It's the Peavey 112 cab with a celestion v30. 16ohm. BTW, have you noticed if you're going through power tubes faster with the extension can?
As long as you use the correct cabinet, it will have no impact on tubes unless you turn the amp up more.

The output transformer is there to match the speaker impedance/s (8,16 ohms) to the resistance between the plates on your tubes (4-5000 ohms). The tubes don't care if it's a single speaker, two, four, eight or if they're 6, 8,10, 12, 15". As long as the total load at the two taps in parallel is 8 ohms. 30 watts driving a stack of speakers don't be loud as 100, but the tubes won't suffer unless you totally dime it.constantly.

Only two things matter: 1, can the speakers combined handle the amp's
power 2. Are the speakers connected matching the impedance at the tube plates. If so, you're good to go.

Only two

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Threads like this make me miss my C50 410 and 410e extension cab…talk about moving some air!!