Addicted to shopping for a guitar

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
I really liked shopping for my guitar.
Now, I have my guitar, and I'm very happy with it, I've cleaned and repaired and polished it, and it plays pretty well.
And I play it too, so that's not a problem.
The problem is, I miss the shopping. I liked looking through the ads, comparing the specs, all that sort of stuff.
The internet equivalent of the hunt, I guess.
I find myself on auction sites searching for telecasters, "just looking" before asking myself "why the hell?" am I doing this, I have my guitar sitting just there, and I don't need two guitars, I really don't.
So I've told myself to stop! But there's a little cold turkey going on...

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Now, I have my guitar, and I'm very happy with it, I've cleaned and repaired and polished it, and it plays pretty well.
The problem is, I miss the shopping. I liked looking through the ads, comparing the specs, all that sort of stuff.
I find myself on auction sites searching for telecasters, "just looking" before asking myself "why the hell?" am I doing this, I have my guitar sitting just there, and I don't need two guitars, I really don't.
I resemble this post!....Me Too

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
An itch that can't be scratched is bad medicine. I've known people who buy watches, guns,
old record players, amps, speaker cabs, keyboards, and even crab mallets. Yes, I'm that
person, but I've turned my life around, and I've seen the light. Not really, but I thought
about it for a second. If you got the $$$$$$ and you want it, get it. There are no do-overs.
Just regrets.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I suggest pedals. If you have a dozen delays they’ll all be a little different. Don’t get in a rut. The best thing about pedals is your spouse will notice a new guitar but won’t notice a different pedal. Our economy runs on GAS so you’ll be playing an important role in society.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
I'm trying to combat the GAS urge by developing an idea (a fantasy, really) of myself as a resilient person who makes do with the bare minimum in a cool ZEN type way. A romantic spartan type of character, with understated good looks. In reality I'm a twitchy neurotic who should get more exercise (yes @ imwjl ) 😂😂😂

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Yup, the quest is an addictive part of the process. Last couple of years I've just kinda bounced from buying one piece of equipment after the other. The ads in the margins for all the stuff I'm looking at don't help.

Octorfunk

Tele-Holic
Love love LOVE the hunt. And its 99% as satisfying & thrilling as actually acquiring the new guitar. If I get $500, I go to Reverb and open the Electric guitars category, filter <$500, and then just look for hours. I would rather do that than binge any tv series out there, its literally more thrilling and entertaining for me.

The purchase itself is actually the letdown of the whole process, because now instead of having 10,000 guitars that could potentially be mine, I only have 1 guitar that is actually mine. Total 1st world problem lol.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
The key to behavior modification is having a new positive behavior to replace the old, undesirable one. So whenever you have the urge to browse, go practice. Or something non-music related, like exercise as mentioned.

Or, buckle in and enjoy the ride. How you fixed for semi-hollows? Ukes? Basses?

😁

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I suggest pedals. If you have a dozen delays they’ll all be a little different. Don’t get in a rut. The best thing about pedals is your spouse will notice a new guitar but won’t notice a different pedal. Our economy runs on GAS so you’ll be playing an important role in society.

I once told myself, "pedals are cheaper than guitars at least," and then I ended up with 11 different big muffs including a mint vintage one I paid $500 for... 😬

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
So whenever you have the urge to browse, go practice. Or something non-music related, like exercise as mentioned.
Yeah, this. Exercise is good, because the "problem" is a type of addictive behavior, and exercise is an excellent substitute for all types of addictive behavior.
I enjoy practice, so that's not an issue, thank goodness :)

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Again, we've all been there, and it is indeed "the thrill of the chase/hunt."
If you let yourself, you'll end up divorced and living in a van down by the river surrounded by 15 cheap guitars you "just had to have." Not a pretty picture.
However, if you JUST LOOK, and you exercise RESTRAINT, then you can avoid this unseemly end.
But most folks don't have that level of self-control, so ...

Another way I found to continue to enjoy "the chase" and not end up homeless is: PARTSCASTERS.
Putting together a guitar from parts is hundreds of times more challenging than just buying one.
And you can argue it's cheaper than buying one off the dealership floor.
Picking out your parts - researching every piece - it can become a new kind of chase that is thoroughly enjoyable.
But it can also lead to problems if you don't watch yourself.
However, there are happy endings - like my Linda Lou, who started with a beautiful sky blue bound body I found on eBay, led to a quest for just the right pots, switch tip, jack, neck, tuners, pickups, knobs, scratch plate, string tree ... well, you get the idea.
However, not every partscaster is a masterpiece. And resale is tougher than with factory guitars.
But when the forces converge and everything clicks, it's magical and deeply satisfying.

1657801715231.jpeg

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I think we're all like that. I know I am.