1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Added pickguard to a 2014 LP Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donelson, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I love this guitar, I have had it for close to 5 years, bought brand new, have played it a ton. All mods until now were done in the first few weeks back in 2014. Did not come with any pickguard. I always wished that it had one. So I took out this black pickguard [it came off of a LP studio, had a few scratches & was replaced], and lo it fit this axe exactly. So I drilled two holes & installed it. To me the guitar looks better with this guard on there. You can't put a LP pickguard on there the normal way, using a bracket, with this model, because the top is not arched.

LOL I did not drill holes. Just kidding. What I did was, use a rotary tool to cut off the heads for the two different sized screws, then used a couple drops of super glue & secured them into the holes in the pickguard. No metal protrudes down to scratch the finish. Then I stuck it on with 4 pieces of 3M adhesive putty squeezed down real thin. Fits on perfectly, you can't detect any gap at all. Stays firmly put, will never fall off. You can pry it off with fingernails if you want to remove it. That putty works great for guitars, I have used it many times, never seen any finish affect.

One of the screws was already black; the other one painted with a sharpie pen.

P.S. Those are the stock PUs on the guitar, I think they are 496, but I put in 4 way wire & changed to Alnico V magnets. Why? Well, seemed like a good idea back then. Worked out OK over the years. Partial covers used because the "non-adjustable" slugs were changed in height, regular covers would not fit.

Here is a before/after picture.

upload_2019-3-6_1-32-36.png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Bridge on here is by Faber. A bit pricey, but seemed like the best option for this axe. Stock Gibson bridge was the old-timey bar, same type piece as a stop tailpiece, no compensation, impossible to get even decent intonation. Faber is also a solid piece, aluminum, but has cutaways that are set for a plain "G" set. Intonation, pretty good. Sound, very good.

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good, I prefer les paul type guitars to have pickguards fitted.

Donelson likes this.
  4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Nice guitar.

Looks much better...tho' I myself would prefer this type of guard:

LSHHCCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

brookdalebill and Donelson like this.
  5. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I thought about looking for one of those, but I already had the pickguard as pictured above. That pickguard in your picture would require like 4 screws.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Looks good. I prefer a pickguard too. And the traditional triangle looks good on there.

Donelson likes this.
  7. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

It looks great. I like it.

Donelson likes this.
  8. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I agree t looks better with the guard.

I'm confused why you didn't drill holes to attach it. I think the putty could damage the finish or at least leave marks if you decide to remove it.

9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Much better!
    Personally I would have put a flush one, like @EsquireOK said, but yours is nice too.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

Donelson likes this.
  11. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I have used that 3M adhesive putty on guitars many times for this or that reason. Never once noticed that it was eating into or damaging the nitro finish. If you have info to the contrary, post it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.