AD9: Ibanez or Maxon

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TheWaker43, Feb 23, 2011.

1. TheWaker43

TheWaker43 TDPRI Member

I am looking at both of these. The Maxon is twice the price. Is it really that much better. The only comparison I can find online is on the Analogman website. There are a few Ibanez videos but almost nothing about the Maxon. Anyone one want to weigh in? Thanks,
    casey

2. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron TDPRI Member

I'm curious too. What about the japanese Ibanez, the older one? Are they good?
    Maxon have a good reputation, seem a really good product but not much info between the two!
    Bump and waiting for some words of widsom! :D

3. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

How 'bout Visual Sounds ?

4. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Analogman is right, the maxon is that much better. But I understand that not everyone's willing to pay that much for the difference.

5. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

Get the Ibanez just to tell Maxon to stuff their artificially inflated prices.

6. TheWaker43

TheWaker43 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. I just bought a DD-7 last week and have a DMM that I am pretty happy with. So really do not need another delay but whatever. I am pretty sure I will go with the Maxon because I know that if I did buy the Ibanez I will always wonder about the other. But if anyone else wants to chime in..

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The vintage Ibanez AD-9's WERE made by Maxon. Just find one from the 80's with the black label, and the battery door that says "Maxon" on the inside. The reissues are not made in Japan AFAIK and the battery door says "Ibanez" on the flip side. I'm pretty sure the battery doors are not interchangeable between the two versions, so it's difficult to fake it by putting a Maxon one on a non-Maxon-made Ibanez AD-9.

Al

8. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Nothing wrong with the Ibanez AD-9. It's a great pedal for the $$$; I have one on my board and it ain't leaving anytime soon.

9. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

I've been using an AD9 since I bought it new in the 80's ,picked up a second one.
    They have their own vibe. If you get something "better" it won't be the same.
    Its Analog and ambient , not a super wide range of adjustment but whats there is useful and sounds good. I gig with out it once in a while and always miss it if I do. I did a tour with some newer digital DD's and it did not cut it for me, AD9 is my sound .
    Every 10 years or so I open it up to spray the pots. Durable.

10. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I say save your money and use the excellent analog mode on the DD-7. I've got two DM-2s and the DD-7's analog mode gets pretty close to the real thing. If you really want an Ibanez Delay, skip the AD-9, and get the AD-80 - one of the best analog delays ever developed.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Bingo.

One is not better than the other, simply because of price. They are just different. I love the sound of both of them, but they are not the same.

The other well-kept-secret is the old Ibanez Soundtank delay. I had one of these on my pedal board for years, and it was really good sounding. I found a perfect setting and just left it there... for all my lead needs.

12. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

I hear what your saying.
    Still prefer the AD9 to the DD7 analog sound though the parameters must be wider by far. The AD 80 is "nice" . I would go there. Its a very clean sounding AD must be the 18 volt supply. It seems to split the difference between AD and DD.
    The old AD9 sound is unique though. Murky in a good way.
    I'm not touting it to pump up auction prices, it is what it is but its its own thing.
    I checked the demos on the new reissue AD9 and although I would not mind owning one if I didn't have the old ones, I really don't think it sounds the same.
    The new one sounds clearer which ain't the point somehow. These are ' sposed to be funky.

13. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

i had a original ibanez AD9 from the 80ies and used it for years until i tried the boss dd2 and it sounded as warm as the analog AD9 but much more versatile and clearer.
    I still have the AD9 as a spare, but for 2 years now i gig with the dd2 and i don´t see a reason to change that...

14. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

DD2 is clearer no doubt. But not my choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.