actually ASSEMBLING my parts tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by leeowensoas1, Oct 31, 2019.

1. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 TDPRI Member

So I have the neck, body, pickups, knobs, pots, switch, jack, strap pegs, pickguard, tuners, nut, strings, and screws. Now as far as actually putting all the pieces together, for the best instrument possible, how do I achieve this? Is there someone I can send them all to?

nojazzhere, LowCaster and ben smith like this.
  2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi, and welcome to the TDPRI!

In and of itself, assembling the various parts together requires the ability to turn a screwdriver and (for electronics) to solder – no more, no less. There is no magical technique. For instance, in normal case there is no right or wrong way to mount the neck onto the body.

If you can turn screws, but not solder, you can still assemble your guitar and have a qualified tech mount the electronics.

Experience becomes important for set-up, but there’s plenty of instructional videos. Experience is also important if you run into issues, which you might. For instance, it is possible that you might have to shim the neck – and you need to be able to tell whether that’s the case.

But if you want to give it a shot yourself, you can still assemble your guitar and if something does not turn out great THEN go to a tech and have him troubleshoot the instrument for you, and/or set it up to perfection.

3. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

^
    What he said,and welcome to the forum.

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

If you need to drill critical holes like the string thru-holes & neck mounting holes that should always be done with a drill press. If those holes are already done for you the battle is 60% won already. The bridge plate holes are critical for location but not necessarily for exact vertical-ity, but it helps. Don't worry, you'll have fun - maybe enough to scream!

ben smith likes this.
  5. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

send them to me haha here are my two beauties! thumbnail_IMG_8204.jpg SAM_0561.JPG

6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

no average person can put one of these together, if you don't have any pre drilled holes for the bridge pickguard tuners or neck it can be a challenge for most no? filing a nut is an art in itself! it aint easy

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If you've taken the trouble to identify and buy all the bits you need to make a guitar, then you clearly have some idea about how they all go together.

It all depends what you want.

Are they seriously expensive parts that you don't want to scratch or dent?

Or did you start this in order to have the fun and learning experience of doing it yourself?

IME there is some trial and error, probably some drilling, maybe some shimming, and a LOT of intonation to be done. And then the wretched wiring.

But you can learn about all this stuff online. As I said, it's up to you. Do you want to build the guitar yourself, or does that not really matter to you.

ben smith likes this.
  8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI.

I sat with all the bits to build my first partcaster for over eighteen months before finally plucking up the courage to put them all together. It was not perfect, but eight years on it has been tweaked a few times as I have gained more experience and is now a much better guitar.

I did not have to do any drilling, just bolt it all together and solder the leads as per the other guitars I had, the nut was left as it came until I adjusted it a couple of years later. When my kids were teenagers they would part out Squier Strats and sell the parts on ebay so I knew how to take a guitar apart, just not how to set it up to make it play really well. There are lots of posts on here which will help you, and if you get stuck there are always folks with much more experience than I who will come to your aid.

And just remember - Pictures or it did not happen. So here is my first partscaster;

upload_2019-10-31_9-52-11.jpeg

upload_2019-10-31_9-53-51.jpeg

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

You're right of course. I had simply assumed that he had the parts ready for assembly (pre-drilled body, pre-slotted nut....).

ben smith likes this.
  10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Pete skermetta at rocket science guitars is a good guy for assembly. he is here in Austin. He can do amazing things

11. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

To me the experience is well worth it as well as the satisfaction of knowing there is no other like yours. You will learn quite a lot by going through this.

preactor, RadioFM74 and ben smith like this.
  12. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

i learned a lot from my first build, i had never thought of putting lip balm on screws before but after snapping one off in the headstock lip balm is a must! i got the screw out with no damage but things can go wrong easily. even if the math is right for the bridge placement when you get the neck on things might not line up so there is a degree of eyeballing it sometimes, i think i moved my bridge twice before i got it in the right place.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I took my first parts tele in a box to the music store, and had George the service tech put it together. It's perfect, and it's still my favorite electric guitar.

My other four I assembled myself, and like others here I learned a lot. They're good guitars too, if you can overlook an occasional sharp corner on a nut, or a small glob of solder here and there.

I ordered necks from Warmoth and Musikraft, but all my parts teles have bodies I made myself, from the T. Downs blueprints from the Tele Home Depot. That makes each one special to me.

Macrogats and nojazzhere like this.
  14. LazyBear

LazyBear TDPRI Member

A good place to start may be to find a local tech, and build the guitar along with him/her. If nothing else, learning to do a basic setup will be really helpful down the road...

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Most people can assemble the guitar, just look at another guitar you have as a template of where things go.

Find the old "Build Challenges" on TDPRI and follow those.
    Watch a couple dozen episodes of youtube videos: Daves World Of Fun Stuff, Sam Deeks, and Frudua.

You might even post pictures of "here's the neck and body I have, how to I get the holes and alignment right" in this or another thread and folks will make suggestions.

The final setup is tricky ... However, if you can find a local guitar tech and pay them the $50 (or a bit more given this is a build setup) for a setup they can dial everything in for you. That's what many first and second time builders will do.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you use the tusq xl pql5000 nut just sand from bottom to set height and thin it before installing with a drop of wood glue, no need to mess with the slots.
    I have drilled and installed necks with a cordless drill with no problems. Just take your time and use common sense. Make a jig to pass the drill bit through if you need to drill the holes for neck pocket, otherwise you can use tape around the shaft to pad it out while drilling through pocket holes as guides while neck is held in place. Again go slow and use common sense.

17. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

It aint rocket science. If you are proficient with hand tools, know how to solder and have a little patience, you will be fine.

18. leeowensoas1

leeowensoas1 TDPRI Member

Wow thanks for all the quick input y'all! I think maybe I should build it myself. I'm not an especially experienced handyman but I've always loved building things and think it will bond me to the guitar more perhaps, besides, isn't a tele basically just an elaborate lego set?! ;)

Anyone have any tips on build order or a simple step-by-step? My body has the routing for the pickups, jack, and the string-through holes, as well as the neck bolt holes, but no pickup, pickguard, bridge, or strap peg holes. I have no idea how to place these, is there a template or something? The neck has tuning peg holes but no holes for the neck bolts. Both the body and neck are one-of-a-kind handmade pieces. Maybe I should have started with something easily replaceable but here I am with two rare chunks of wood so I figure I only get one shot at it. Never learned to solder (though I'd very much like to) so I'll probably have to take it in for the electronics. Both pickups are handwounds ripped from custom shop guitars and I'd hate to fry either one as replacing it would be a spendy or futile proposition.

Also maybe this is a stretch but does anyone know a place to get custom pearloid headstock inlays/engraving and finishing. I could do a water slide decal of course, but a Gibson-style headstock inlay of my own custom insignia is the dream. I'm sure this might be spendy, but I'd love to even have somewhere to start. I'm in the Pacific NW if that helps. Even just a good-looking pearloid decal would work in a pinch

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    ben smith likes this.
  19. Christeefur

Christeefur TDPRI Member

Hi lee

If the body has holes for the neck I’d push a narrow drill bit through with the neck in position just to make the marks of where you should be lining up.

but before you get to that make sure that your neck and body are lining up nicely.
    Get an old string run it from both e string positions down to the headstock and check that your strings aren’t too close to the edge. If you are too close on either side it’s easier to deal with before your drill holes etc.

I have just finished a build this evening. Did my first attempt at soldering. Take your time and you should be fine. I think it would be hard to knacker your pickups based on a dodgy solder joint. Alternatively get a solderless prewired kit. There are some chaps on eBay who sell these and work well enough.

good luck

c

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Christeefur

Christeefur TDPRI Member

Oh and I guess I shall gratuitously share my completed build :)

FB0B4939-AE2B-4442-9E92-C7E995E8F87B.jpeg

body from Boobooguitars
    Neck - Hosco vintage
    Pickups - fender 64 vintage
    Gotoh tuners
    Wilko bridge
    Black stain
    Merl haggard style pickguard

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.