1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Actual Relicing?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheletterJ, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Wear a belt buckle! I was in a 70's tribute rock band and had an '03 Murphy-aged Les Paul R8. Played our first gig and had a big ol belt buckle on. Wore the finish off the back in the first set. Shocking, but in the end I liked what it did because that's exactly how those guitars got that way. I just didn't realize it would happen that fast. :lol:

But try to sell that guitar and they'd question "hey, I didn't think Tom Murphy did that in his relic'ing. What's up with those non-standard digs in the paint? Looks like a belt buckle did it. I'll pass." Freaking hilarious.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Some I find like this (the neck is broken at the body, I steamed it out and reset it). this had been gigged by the prior owner and took a tumble then sat in storage for ten years.
    [​IMG]

And bring back

[​IMG]

I have since changed the bezels, knobs, and covered the headstock logo.

[​IMG]

Others I fix previous owners attempts at artificial relics and keep it a relic. I used to hate relics until I got this one in a trade. It was unplayable and a mess of rough gouges. I leveled the frets, blocked the trem, replaced missing parts, wired it from the pickup to volume pot to out. It's easy to play and a tone monster. No idea the pedigree but I suspect an import Charvel/Jackson of some sort.

IMG_20170206_123222.jpg IMG_20170206_123206.jpg

Steamed
    Double-Tapped

Strat here is a 2001 and only has chips in the paint in a few spots (I stabilized the edges of the chips with thin CA adhesive) after getting it, I also sanded the fractured edges of the paint and glue to make them smooth. It had at least two prior owners. The Tele is really clean even with two (different than the Strat) prior owners. While cleaning up the Strat, I shielded the cavities and wired the Armstrong Blender in it so it is a stealth dual humbucker guitar. The Tele was so clean when I got it I didn't mod, but my usual path is a 4-way and a reversed control plate.
    [​IMG]

The trick with a relic is sand it all over with 800 grit paper (don't use steel wool as the bits get in the pickups) and ease the fretboard edges (rub with the side of a smooth chrome philips screwdriver shaft). Make sure the frets are fixed up and a great setup so it plays easy.

And look up examples of the Custom Shop relics for patterns to follow. Especially fretboard wear.

TheletterJ likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I don't relate. When I like the look of a guitar in new condition, I'm not eager to see it beat up/worn down. I don't want to join the relic club. Also, I don't have any electric guitar with poly finish. All mine have nitro lacquer with no grain filler.

It is rare to see a fake relic job that looks believable. I have 4 teles that I've played and gigged, that I acquired from 2008-2012. So 6-10 years of normal usage, on guitars with nitro, not poly. Here is a pic, taken back in June, of them hanging in my living room. The pic was taken from about 5-6 feet away. L-R: Firecaster, 2012; BSB, 2011; acoustic/electric tele just since January; honey blonde thinline with "Logo" cutout on the lower bout, 2009; mahogany, 2008.

06-04-2018 - My Logan Custom Family Portrait - 1.jpg

Now I'll grant you that if you look close up you'll see signs of wear/use. On the lower bout bass side, where my forearm rests, there you'll see evidence of the nitro finish wearing away and a hint of natural wood showing. If you're looking at them up close. But from 5-6 away? Well, you'd need much better eyes than my 65 year old peepers to see it.

The mahogany on the end also has gold plated hardware, and again, if you're up close, you can see evidence my wearing that off. But from a distance it's not apparent. The ashtray bridge plate on the older two teles (the mahogany and the thinline) each have some rust/pitting, but again you can't tell it if you're not up close. (The bridge plates on the other two are stainless steel.)

There are a few minor dings on them, too. One the BSB a more significant scratch. Years ago, someone after a show knocked over my mic stand, and the metal grill of the Shure SM58 scratched through the nitro and paint and left a 3" long mark. When the scratch was new, it looked white in contrast to the BSB color around it; now years of patina have blended it in, and I defy you to point it out to me. Even I have to look for it when I'm holding the guitar in my hands, and I know where to look.

Oh, and the one on the left, the "Firecaster," has blemishes on the top of the guitar, but they're real. The guitar was made from 83 year old construction grade Long Leaf Pine planks salvaged from a house fire 8 years ago. (Saved from the fire + telecaster style = Firecaster.) The wear to the guitar since it was built in 2012 is negligible.

Of course, people's tastes differ, and they don't need my permission or approval to go for something different. This reply is not meant to be a rant; I'm just trying to point to what is more realistic, more indicative of normal wear. And sure, there are bound to be variables to consider. I suppose if you have a body chemistry that is caustic/highly acidic, and every time you perform you sweat all over your #1 guitar like SRV under stage lights on a hot August night in Texas, and you do that for a decade or more, then you might get results like SRV's #1. (But then again, that Strat was a decade or more old when he got it.)

4. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

Hate to burst your bubble but from my experience poly finishes will never give you that reliced feel nor look and stay pretty much clean and shiny, aside from some accidental chips and cracks upon inflicting damage. Nitro is where it’s at if you’re after that and even then you’ll have to put in some serious hours and don’t treat her like a baby. Although fake/artificial, a CS relic is the ticket for a serious worn in feel and look.

LocoTex and CigBurn like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my 83 Tele has had some serious playing to mark this poly.... hard to do ....

it sounds great, that's probably why..;)

83 tele6.jpg
    83 tele5-buckle rash.jpg

this one I made has had some use as well in it's short life... :)

pine marks on tele.JPG

MrHamburger and TheletterJ like this.
  6. bterry

bterry Tele-Meister

turned 68 this month...100% stock, all honest playing wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Lochry, ecosse, dan1952 and 16 others like this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. The real deal :)

dan1952, fmmlp and bterry like this.
  8. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine has a fantastic Steinway grand, been in his family since the 1930's. If you look closely you might spot a few signs of its age. But overall, it is beautiful, a sign of a well cared-for high quality instrument. No scratches or similar abuse. Sounds & plays like heaven.

If any of my guitars is scratched up, defaced, etc. it is accidentally and stupidly done by me, or I got the thing cheap as a beater. That is my deal.

dan1952 and Chicago Matt like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It wears out. It just takes a lot longer, and the wear doesn't look the same as wear on lacquer. It's more accumulated scratches and chips than wear through and/or embedded filth, like you get with lacquer (in addition to the chips and scratches).

These are some examples of the kind of things that happen with modern poly finishes:

1. '05 MIM Strat
    [​IMG]

'90's MIJ P-Bass body (with a few touched up chips):
    [​IMG]

trouserpress and TheletterJ like this.
  10. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't own this 74 Tele Custom any longer but when I did the back of the guitar looked like this:

[​IMG]

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think of you want to relic a poly guitar and you aren't fussed about exposing the wood you are better off just shooting a thin coat of nitro over it and letting it age as you play it. Weird wear can happen even naturally, some will say its fake and hate it. You can't please everyone but then again you don't have to. You only need to worry about pleasing yourself.

CigBurn likes this.
  12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

It took me a second to scroll past that nice tele and see the chip. After just reading your message at the top I was hoping to see a picture of some destroyed stairs!

knockeduptele likes this.
  13. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

This is how a Tele should look! THIS is the reason I love relics. And I am glad to hear it is all REAL - great job!

14. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

The one thing that you see on every genuinely worn guitar, but rarely on artificial relics, is cymbal dings on the headstock.

15. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

16. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

17. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

This early 70's Tele came through my shop for a fret dress a couple of years ago. The owner is/was a touring pro I've known for 50 years. He's the original owner, and all the wear and tear is from playing 4-5 nights a week for 45-ish years.

Bobbytele1.jpg Bobbytele1.jpg Bobbytele3.jpg

Attached Files:

TheletterJ and mimmo like this.
  18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

3rd is an active boost.

19. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I've done some pretty stupid and reckless things in an effort to synthesize a "natural" aging process:
    -I posted a few odd threads about metal picks. I apparently have poor strumming form, and have scratched into the heavy poly on an acoustic guitar
    -In one of the grossest things I've ever done, I used to live in a house without central air. In mid August, I took a guitar up to the attic just to play it for an hour or so and sweat all over it. Playing it like that actually did smooth out the formerly-matte neck, so not all was lost. Plus, that attic room had some awesome acoustics that I did my first recording in :D
    -One of my Teles had that thick, toy-like poly finish that we all know and not-quite-love, which I took and buffed down with some 0000 steel wool. It quickly became one of my favorite guitars after simply knocking down that shine just a little.
    -I have a ridiculous belt buckle that my Grandpa gave me back in '92 when he went to the Grand Canyon...it's one of those silver plated, with turquoise embellishments, and a giant Indian head in the center. As I've grown older and discovered the joys of keeping my pants pulled up and my shirt tucked in, my buckle has seen a LOT more sunlight...and also, the back of my bass guitar, which is relicking nicely with some fat buckle rash.
    -And finally, I actually did toss a guitar into the bed of a pickup loaded down with lumber.

MrHamburger and TheletterJ like this.
  20. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

My Tele has got a lovely relic'd body by MJT with a little 'fine tuning' by myself. The the neck is quite substantial (1st fret:0,869; 11th fret:0,983) but the hand won't really notice because its back is shaped asymmetrically -> "the fingers fall into position".
    upload_2018-11-17_11-15-39.png

CigBurn, TheletterJ and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.