1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Active volume control

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Frontier9, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Could I build a volume control pedal by putting a simple buffer, like Jack Orman's simple jfet buffer on the input of a potentiometer? Does there need to be another buffer on the output?
    The goal is to boost a pedal in a chain to drive it harder, but then to dial it down to a preset value at the output.

2. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

Yes. One thing to remember is that Orman's is a source-follower buffer, which does not amplify and thus will have a very slight volume drop on the output; this is completely normal due to how it works and the thought is that the drop is compensated by the preservation of your tone on through the circuit.
    No need for a buffer on the output; the JFET does it all in one.

If you are just wanting to dial down the output of a pedal ahead of your intended volume control, you can simply use a potentiometer; no need for a buffer because the output of the pedal is already buffered (well, most anything from the late-'70s or so will be). Normally, the purpose of a buffer is to present a high impedance input for your pickups and thus guard against tone loss from long cable runs or pedals/audio gear that have a low impedance input. However, I agree that a JFET buffer will be more universally useful.

3. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Thanks, edvard.

My idea is to rehouse an Xotic RC Booster clone into an enclosure, have a loop out to another pedal that will be boosted and then back into the enclosure to attenuate the signal and then out to other pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.