1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Active Offers on Reverb...24 hour insanity.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stantheman, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's spelled out in the terms you agree to when you join. No one is forcing toy to make an offer. I see no reason for a provision to rescind

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sorry, I've done it. You can. He has no loss as he did not accept the offer.
    Ebay actually has an item you clik on to "retract offer", I forget what it is, if I had an offer on something I'd find it....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

It is not legally binding. They are not a legislative body.
    They’re playing one on TV is all.
    Regardless the bid is withdrawn, so he gets to keep it,
    she gets back in his face SNAFU.

He who hesitates must change his jockeys.

BTW, know what tomorrow is?

4. stantheman

Dah dah dah dah....
    What’s tomorrow?

5. Audiowonderland

He has 24 hours to accept. If he does, its a contract. Just because the seller didn't pursue it doesn't change that

6. schmee

Once he accepts... it is a contract, but until he does, it's all open to retraction. Even in big things like boats, cars etc. Pursuant to the original post; if I don't get an accepted offer and someone else comes along, I'll retract it every time. You snooze, you lose.

7. Audiowonderland

Your making excuses now. Even if none of it is legally binding, you're word ought to be. We know where you stand.

Mr Gunny likes this.
  8. stantheman

Ignored.

9. Audiowonderland

Not according to the reverb terms and conditions you agree to when you join and just general principal. I am glad I found what a man's word is worth around here early on...

Out...

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

With these sorts of issues, it's always hard to tell if the person just doesn't see the issue from any angle other than their own, or they are simply an a-hole.

24 hours. Let's say some half drunk guy throws in an offer at 10pm on a Saturday night. That mean the seller has to answer before 10pm on a Sunday. Not a good turn around time.

Plenty of people who sell on Reverb are actual stores--what we often call 'Mom and Pop' but are essentially individually owned small business. Owners like this often are closed in their retail location on Sunday--so no one is around to answer calls and emails. Paying someone to do it would likely not be cost-effective.

Can't blame someone for wanting a day off.

So the policy helps, and helps the busy seller who works another job by giving them time to answer when they are not at their 'real' job.

There is also the psychological reason--if buyer knows that they will get possibly only one chance to offer in a 24 hour period while other people can also offer, it makes that buyer get 'real' with their offer. If they really do what the item and they are not simply bottom feeding, they will likely make a better offer.

Then there is the pest issue. If a seller has to answer quickly, a 'pest' buyer can just keep throwing garbage offers at them and wasting their time. A cool off period is of use here.

So, there are a few reasons why the 24 hour policy is of value. If the buyer can see it from another person's point of view, they might understand. If not, they might be an a-hole, and there's really no fixing that.

Mr Gunny and RomanS like this.
  11. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I also buy & sell; have been for nearly 50 years.

I sell on Reverb but I don't buy on Reverb. :D

12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea I know...but they can't force you to complete the purchase.

Look at it this way. You go to GC and make an offer on a guitar and they say come back tomorrow. Would you feel obligated to go back? Any offer I'd make is good till I hit the door if then...

When I sold on Reverb I got instant notifications and responded within an hour at most. 24 hours is too long to leave a bid hanging without the ability to rescind especially because the seller is not obliged to sell to you. It can sell as BIN or take a better offer.

Deal is not done till accepted...like ALL deals...despite what Reverb claims as rules...

Is it Reverb of Ebay where you can set a price you'll accept or reject and offer automatically? I thought I saw that option somewhere before...

13. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

I used the offer thing with my Fender Custom '57 Bandmaster and Pro amps. It's just the way the deals worked out. No problems and I had great commo with both sellers.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

What's the problem?

15. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

And you can see the number of offers in play, so you can make your offer accordingly.

I swooped(sorry, made up term) a bunch of peoples' offers the other day. I put the item in my cart and checked out! Take that!

I mean, come on, it was already a smoking deal.

And I also made an offer on something no one was looking at. That makes sense to me.

16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The OP would hate me. If I was selling an item that typically sells fast and I'd expect a few offers in a day, I would wait a good portion of that 24 hours before responding just to see if any better ones come along. If I'm selling something I typically want as much possible for it and there's nothing wrong with that.

On the other hand there is also the likely possibility that this guy doesn't obsessively check his emails. I check mine once or twice a day, most often in the morning, depending on what I'm doing. So if you place an offer around mid day you could easily end up waiting till the morning after or at least until late on in the evening.

If something is relying on email as a method of communication then I don't expect an immediate response.

stormsedge and RomanS like this.
  17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not even sure what a lowball price on Reverb means.

I have made offers that were lowballs, but the price they were asking was far from reasonable, plus they had unusually high shipping rates. Most stuff I've seen should sell for about 60% of what they ask, and that's according to what I've seen when I looked up the selling prices on Reverb itself.

Now I know there are usually much better offers from US sellers, I've seen some pedals that had a good price and shipping rates almost the same as European dealers. Although I didn't bother because they would all go through customs and you have to pay and go to a special post office and too much hassle.

On the other hand there are many US offers that don't show up on my side because they don't ship to where I live, as well as offers from the US that do ship to where I live and the price is just as ridiculous, plus the shipping is also extremely high.

18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

In my case, I try to set my price as a seller by doing due diligence by using Reverb's Pricing Guide, looking at CL, exploring sold like items on evilbay, and 50 years of experience of horse trading equipment. at a level that won't make people go, "REALLY?" I generally have a range in mind- what I'd like to get, what I would expect to get, and what I'd say nope to. Lowball offers fall below the "nope" level.

19. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The 24 hour window makes sense and the OP doesn't. The former works for most people and real-life situations, the lastter is a self-centered personal preference (I want this now!) that nobody else shares. If ytou want an immediate transaction, go to a store. That's what they're for.

20. schmee

delete

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.