1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Active Offers on Reverb...24 hour insanity.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stantheman, Aug 30, 2020.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

He was asking almost 4K. Nobody would have pony’d up what he was asking. It’s possible that the price was set to
    placate his significant other AKA the devil’s favorite card.
    Had roles been reversed I’d have asked everyone to leave and taken up residence on the porch with my cell phone.

Regardless, the way I view it I’m a bit closer to my shanty
    down payment than I was last night.

HOWEVER, the only thing that will placate me is if someone
    puts up a loop of Chet on his bicycle with The Hounds in
    hot pursuit.
    That very possibly could alter my mood.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. stantheman

Right, if You go into “Product Specs” on Reverb they’re
    legally obligated by Illinois Law the length of time it’s been for sale.

HOWEVER, the loophole is to take said item off the site and
    relist it after a 24 hour period, and everything is fresh again.
    To quote Anthony Bourdain in “The Big Short - it’s not
    two day old halibut, it’s something entirely new.”

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

As I've said many times before, I'm hardly ever serious about anything. I hope you get a chance to buy what you're looking for at a price you can live with. Why only last week, I saw a Nashville Tele on the Craigslist, and before I could make up my mind to make a lowball offer on it, some weasel just went and paid the full price for it. What's the world coming to?

Deathray, jtees4 and stantheman like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

NOW that would have entertainment value, a lot more than the story of his crossing crossing the red sea in order to install the clutch on his pickup truck.

stantheman likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

I'm still unclear where the boat is coming from and why it's going to take eight months for it to get there. Big boat, little boat, ship by rail? Dig canal to doorstep? The story is in the details.

stantheman likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

stantheman likes this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This feels a bit like my recent experience w/ Cream City Music (see prior thread - edited to avoid claims of agenda thread)
    Shortly after posting an abbreviated for sale notice (omitting sale price and some other deets) for a lesser known thinline Gibson semi hollow, I was contacted by owner or manager of CCM asking for price & pics.
    Fair enough - w/in five min he had nearly a dozen pics and the price that had been nicked by the character count editor.
    Promptly replying - he then asked if I would entertain an offer.
    Having sent him nearly a dozen links to similar era models - all $500-1000 more, I asked it he had seen any of this model priced lower than mine, and would he mind sharing that.
    Rather than answer either part of that QQQ, he just said, may I submit an offer?
    Having gained no new info, I said - do whatever you feel you must, but if you haven't got any new info to add to this discussion, I've got other things to do than exchange messages w/ "just curious".
    This back-and-forth took place in less than an hour (not 24)

A week out, CMM has not supplied the offer he was urgently requesting permission to send.

My takeaway - I was engaged w/ a bottom-feeder, but he was less cordial than Hellecaster Will Ray (who I absolutely adore)
    If you wish to present an offer, do so - if not, keep moving.

YMMV
    Peace - Deeve

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

When selling on Reverb, I have received low ball offers several times. I usually respond with a price point I'm willing to do. If the prospective buyer meets my counter, the sale is made, if not, so be it. If the buyer's offer is above the floor price I set in my mind, I sell.

JJLC and stantheman like this.
  9. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Actually you cannot. If you make the offer you are obligated. The seller may or may not leery you off the hook but they are not obligated to do so

10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The buyer might get an offer from the other side of the world just as he's fallen asleep on his side of the world, so there's potentially 10 hours before the buyer even sees the offer

11. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I see lot of posts here about people asking high prices so they can tell their partner they tried to sell something when they really don’t want to sell it. Is this a real thing? What kind of relationships are you people in that you would need to do that?

jh

RomanS likes this.
  12. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I could read that both ways. An immediate response could be from someone who's making his living as a scammer and is sitting there waiting for suckers to drift into the net. A delayed response could be from a good seller with a steady job who has other things to do.

RomanS and soulgeezer like this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apparently it gives the seller enough time to do something or, get off the Pot.
    YEP!!!

14. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I don't care about low ball offers; it happens all the time & IMO is to be expected.
    As a seller I don't allow myself to become upset by low ball offers, impolite Reverb members that come across as brainless, or other shenanigans from potential buyers. I don't allow that crap to get under my skin, period. That stuff comes with the territory; always has & always will.

What I can control is the service I offer real buyers, the individuals that actually do purchase from me; that is where I can make a real difference in the experience of the other side of every transaction. That also has a real impact on the positive nature of feedback I receive from pretty much every buyer I sell to. Everyone has a choice; they can get upset about stupid ****, or they can allow it to slide off their back. I choose to let it slide.

I had a rare guitar on Reverb that was listed for two years; yep, two years. I don't get in any hurry to sell any item; that isn't my style, nor my MO. I offered the item to several Reverb members for a very substantial price drop but no takers. No problem. I then had someone send me an offer that was several hundred dollars more than what I had offered the item to those several others previously. My patience paid off to the tune of having a few extra C notes in my pocket, and that was OK to wait two years for that.

Selling is like fishing; you wave the bait long enuff & sooner, or later something is gonna bite.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Asmith, RomanS, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  15. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but this is too rational, mature and intelligent to be part of this thread. Read the room!

Asmith, Deathray and JJLC like this.
  16. Audiowonderland

Smh... I pity you if you really think that

17. stantheman

Yep, they’re an Illinois company, that’s what it says on the
    letterhead. It’s intimidation aimed at law abiding types. Email the attorney general in your state, they’ll email you a copy of the Interstate Commerce Act free of charge.

In fact there’s a bi-partisan bill in congress to outlaw bill
    collectors unless they’re in the State you reside in.

I’ll take my pity in the form of liquidity please.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I feel the same way, but you said it better than I could have! I just don't let things bother me, I used to many years ago, but I've since grown up. I buy AND sell so I guess I just see it both ways.

JJLC likes this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Obviously it's to give the seller time to respond yet not unlimited time..

I was surprised to learn you can't withdraw an offer that's not been accepted. It should work both ways. I've made offers on sales in person only to change my mind at the last minute. Looks like just a rule not a law and if you change your mind there's no way to force you to pay.

Of course you'll ding your Reverb feedback score...

20. Audiowonderland

I don't believe their current owners are illinois based and you clearly didn't read the agreement you signed when joining.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.