Act Naturally turnaround...key signature and guitar tunings

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Junkyard Dog, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing this song for years, and though I have cobbled together various different ways to play the turnaround, I've never been able to get it to sound like the record.

Does anybody have any insight on Don Rich's guitar part on this song? It sounds to me like the song is in G, but Don's guitar part on the turnaround seems to be a lot of open notes that I just can't figure out how to play in G.

Some questions: is the song in G? Is Don (and/or anybody else) tuned to standard tuning, or a step down, etc.?

For reference, I am referring to around 1:06 in (what I am assuming is) the original recording:

NOTE: I searched the forum and can see this and many other Don Rich guitar parts have been discussed extensively, but I did not find what I was looking for. I was torn between commenting on those old threads and starting this one. I've tried both approaches in the past and learned you can't please everyone, so apologies in advance to those who disagree with my choice to start a new thread here. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It is in G. The lick can be played in Drop D tuning or you can tune down a full step. It is a cool turnaround but it's not too hard to sound out.

In Drop D you have to get used to playing all your G's on the 5th fret of the E string. It's much easier and more intuitive to detune a full step. As you said, the open strings make more sense and can only be done tuned down a step.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Thanks, JB! I'll experiment with both.

Do you have any thoughts on how Don did it on the record? Drop D or all strings down a step?

4. jbmando

I believe the whole guitar was tuned down a full step.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

The song is in G and the turnaround is just a 5 > 1 turnaround... (ie: D > G)

As others have said, the guitar on the recording is tuned down a full step... but that is not logical when playing live or for playing other songs. I just do a Drop D and don't think twice about it :D

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  6. jbmando

I used a Mooer Pitch Box pitch shifter pedal in a praise band situation. It sounded pretty good dropped or raised up to a full step, so I used it for songs in F for which I wanted to used first position open chords from the key of G. I would not hesitate to play this one in "open" A chords in the key of G for this song. I can do a video of me on a Tele using the pedal to see if you'd consider using something like it.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  7. Junkyard Dog

Thanks for the offer, JB! I had not thought about using a pitch shifter. I have one built in to my Mustang modeling amp. I’ll give that a try. In one of the threads on here, there is a video with a forum member demonstrating the turnaround in Ab (all six strings tuned down a half step). That should get me most of the way there. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!

8. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

I hope this can open up for you:

Attached Files:

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  9. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

I transcribed this for a student who needed it for a performance, it’s fun with the guitar tuned down a whole step because the telecaster has a great low rumble. Alternately, you can play in standard tuning and have the acoustic chord backup capo on 2nd fret, but that means the singer has to sing the song a whole step higher.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  10. Junkyard Dog

It came through fine...thank you!!!

11. Junkyard Dog

Thanks again for the help, everybody! I spent a good bit of time with it over the weekend, and I think I got it down pretty good. This is with the Telecaster tuned down a whole step...all six strings. Probably is not 100% correct, but it's a HUNDRED times better than what I was playing before.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  12. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

The Beatles covered this song with Ringo on vocals...

13. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

Forgive my ignorance, what's a "turnaround"?

14. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I just googlized it. Thanks though

15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I saw Mr. Rich perform this song several times on Hee Haw, and he never duplicated that lick the same way twice. Probably because he kept the guitar tunes to pitch. But I'm just guessing.
    But, the way he played it on TV was better, in my opinion, than what was originally recorded.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  16. Junkyard Dog

Hey, Rockbreaker! I'm not sure I even know myself, and I may be totally misusing the term. But that's just what I call this part of the song. :)

17. Junkyard Dog

Agree! And after Don was gone, I saw times where the band didn't even play the turnaround at all. And then other times where the new lead guitar player just played it in standard tuning...but played a totally different turnaround lick.

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The turnaround chords for his part are D then back to G.. Is that what you mean? lick something like: GGG FED FCD F ETC...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Junkyard Dog likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To me a turnaround is where the chords of a verse resolve back to the start, most often using a 5 in there somewhere, which sets up the starting 1 chord for the next verse. Regardless of any licks involved in the process.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  20. jbmando

Sounds pretty dang good to me!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.