Acrylic paint covering

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Hi,
I've basically been doing some artwork on my Squier CVC 60s body. Does anyone know what finish spray to use over acrylic paint pens (Posca)? I've got a can of Rustoleum gloss clear, would this be ok to use.
Also, would I have to sand it back a with wet sandpaper when covered. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Newby when it comes to this kind of thing. Thanks in advance.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
The best thing to do is draw on some bristol board or a scrap of wood with the paint pens you're using and then shoot the clear over it to see if they're compatible. Some finishes don't play nicely with others--especially different brands combined together.

I use an automotive clear coat (acrylic lacquer) over acrylics and get good results.

Raven-Tele-Montage.jpg

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
The best thing to do is draw on some bristol board or a scrap of wood with the paint pens you're using and then shoot the clear over it to see if they're compatible. Some finishes don't play nicely with others--especially different brands combined together.

I use an automotive clear coat (acrylic lacquer) over acrylics and get good results.

Raven-Tele-Montage.jpg
Thanks, that's very helpful. 😉

Silverface

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've got a can of Rustoleum gloss clear, would this be ok to use.
No. It's acrylic lacquer and the solvents will likely destroy everything...BUT
Sorry, I'm a bit of a Newby when it comes to this kind of thing. Thanks in advance.
...and that's why you ALWAYS prepare and apply whatever your planning on SCRAP wood until you get the right results - if you are a newbie, READ. Look at finishing websites. Call the manufacturers and ask THEM!

But the main thing is - practice via test applications FIRST! Don't apply 💩 to your guitar and THEN ask (anyone from a coatings expert to a little girl who likes to type on her Barbie keyboard) on a furm for "the magic answer"!

Practice first. Or better yet - call both manufacturers first, and if they think it will work - THEN practice.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
No. It's acrylic lacquer and the solvents will likely destroy everything...BUT

...and that's why you ALWAYS prepare and apply whatever your planning on SCRAP wood until you get the right results - if you are a newbie, READ. Look at finishing websites. Call the manufacturers and ask THEM!

But the main thing is - practice via test applications FIRST! Don't apply 💩 to your guitar and THEN ask (anyone from a coatings expert to a little girl who likes to type on her Barbie keyboard) on a furm for "the magic answer"!

Practice first. Or better yet - call both manufacturers first, and if they think it will work - THEN practice.
Thanks for absolutely nothing! Why even respond if you're going to come back with a snarky response? Unbelievable. I suppose you know everything. I guess you've been spraying and painting guitars before you went to pre school.
Do me a favour, don't respond to my posts in future, in fact don't worry I blocked ya! I'll be thinking of you next time I put some 💩🙄 on my guitar, oops...... NO I WON'T!

Last edited: