Acquiring super nice amp vs waiting for dream amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EsquireBoy, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM.

Should I cave in and buy the Stapleton Princeton?

1. Yes you should, it’s a really nice amp.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, you should wait for your dream amp.

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. Yes, make the trade, and buy the Magnatone nonetheless since you still have your two kidneys.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

IF you're a smoker - You can quit for justification of purchase (that's how I got my Gretsch 6120-TM and I haven't lit up since 2005 so...it didn't cost me a dime - it was free.)
    Which brings me to another of my "outs" - The Furniture Lone at The Bank...nothing is easier to a Banker than the furniture loan, low interest and easy payments and a teenager could qualify. The going rate right now for the Magnatone Panorama is outrageous...$2500 plus - if it was my money I'd go Solid State like a stereo Roland JC-40 and a Strymon Big Sky - done. (and it may sound better too.)

Buying something for more than $1000.00 is an invitation to buyer's remorse - which I never had because I quit smoking.

Remember that the Reverb Guy on YouTube did that demo with state of the art recording gear.
    All that said - I had hot pants for over a year concerning the Panorama - then I heard a JC-40/BigSky demo and I heard...a Tone.

Me, I'd get a used Peavey Chorus and a years worth of prime wild caught fish.:D
    Johan and Shane brought me to the water. Thank You Gentlemen.

elihu and EsquireBoy like this.
  2. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

That's the real test too, wait a day or so and go play it again! You'll for sure know the right answer then.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

lol....so...she can do a little work for a reward...or she can have something for no work at all. Good one....she has the situation well in hand, it seems. You work...she gets the treat. That would be what...’detoured gratification’? (;^)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:32 AM
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Esquireboy, I have to share this. While I was watching a demo of that Magnatone, which I admit made me want to play on one in person, I envisioned you playing through it with ONE setting for the controls....never changing it. I will observe that IF I were listening to someone play through such an amp and nothing ever changed with the selection of what the amp can do, I would be exiting the venue. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing ime. I like tremolo...the AM—-amplitude modulation—-selection in that amp. I like frequency modulation...the FM option...vibrato. I do not like to hear either of those effects constantly. I like variety both when I play or listen.
    good luck with the GAS....gear acquisition syndrome is a recognized psychological malady that affects us all to some extent.

kingofdogs1950 and EsquireBoy like this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

But of course I would be alternating between AM and FM :D
    Kidding apart, my idea would be to use an expression pedal (the amp has an ext. plug for it) to modulate the effect between almost imperceptible to full on.

Wally likes this.
  6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

After all these useful and helpful insights, it may be time to quote my mom's version of what I’m sure is ancient wisdom: The perfect is the enemy of the good.

I'm happy to find out that many of us have dream amps we’ve never heard, or heard in person, or played. I know I do. But I gotta remind myself I’ve also had a ton of dream girlfriends I’ve never met, or talked to, or gone out with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I was going to get at this same point, but saw it a little differently. I think I had a dream amp at some point and never got it. Along the way I have had a lot of really awesome nice amps and the variety has kind of made me think there isn't a perfect amp for me anymore. Having a dream amp and not looking at others probably would have saved some money in the long run!

NewKid and naveed211 like this.
  8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Just a quick update after all your nice advices.
    I went to my local guitar shop to try the Stapleton Princeton again, and it was gone. They won’t be able to get another one, so the idea of a trade disappears.
    At the same time they told me that for the first time in months a couple of customers had showed interest in both my amp and my guitar that are for sale. The guitar was actually on hold before the buyer canceled the deal unfortunately.

So I guess it solves my dilemma: I’ll wait for my gear to sell, and will think about the Magnatone when it’s time (also went to try it once again last week-end and I still find it magical for my style).

Expect a NAD in a few months :p

Cheers!

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I took the chance today to also try the JC40: it was nice but I would definitely miss the tremolo and did not like its vibrato. The chorus tone it’s famous for is great, but I do not see myself using it a lot.

10. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Sometimes we miss the joy of reality while chasing dreams.

stantheman likes this.
  11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Funny thing about gear dreams is that when one comes true, there still seem to be more to follow.

How may of you have achieved your gear dream and lived happily ever after?

stantheman and EsquireBoy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.