Acquiring super nice amp vs waiting for dream amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EsquireBoy, Dec 2, 2019.

Should I cave in and buy the Stapleton Princeton?

1. Yes you should, it’s a really nice amp.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, you should wait for your dream amp.

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. Yes, make the trade, and buy the Magnatone nonetheless since you still have your two kidneys.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

If you had a gig tomorrow and needed an amp, get the best thing available near you and in your price range.

If you’re not in need and have some time, save up and get what you really want.

scelestus and Fiesta Red like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looking over the 65 Ventura I have to wonder if it doesn't have any sounds you could love hiding in all the interactive gain options.
    While the ef86 seems to be an impediment, that can be overcome by finding a good sample, and once that's out of the way there may be a combination of gain and tone settings that would get you what you want from the Stapleton amp, plus some other options on board if your needs change.

I don't know though as I've never tried that particular amp, I only know that I have at times had a friend dial in and play one of my amps and been surprised by the sounds they got out of it. Seems like I have habits in how I dial in amps, and they may tell me certain settings are just not options. Played old four input Marshalls for decades before I tried turning the presence control all the way down.
    Now it's my best fat toned low volume clean sound.

I've also found over the years that I was fighting one piece of gear trying to solve a problem that was actually located in another piece of gear. For example I find a 5f1 Champ too dark and an 18w Marshall too bright with an Esquire.
    Or maybe the 5f1 is perfect for the Esquire at lower volume but then lacks treble at higher volume.
    Not as familiar with a 5f2a Princeton but they are pretty similar and we both seem to use an Esquire.
    Could be an Esquire that great for a 5f2a is harder to use with other amps.
    My Esquires are all different and some are just not compatible with my most bright amps.

In order to get what I want from my 18w Marshalls I've needed to choose tubes and speakers carefully.
    Maybe your Ventura would sound better with a different speaker? Or a tube change.
    I've also found that angling the Esquire pickup so it's very close to the high E and much further from the low E actually fattens up the shrill high E, though it also makes it louder.
    Then moving the pickup further from the low E cuts bass volume but increases bass clarity, and allows me to turn up the bass control on the amp, which adds some low mids and makes the tone less inclined to shrillness.
    I still have to treat the high E as a slightly different sounding string though, in order to make the whole thing work for me.

Just a few of my solutions but I'm not sure exactly what your problem is with the sound of the seemingly very good and very versatile Ventura. Could still be that it has zero sounds hiding in it that you can like.

That has been my experience with Princeton Reverbs and Deluxe Reverbs.
    I do like my Brown Princeton but it's not my dream amp.
    Just about my favorite Fender amp though, after years of trying to get the right sounds out of the wrong Fender amps!
    I've had I'd guess dozens of vintage hand wired Fender amps and finally concluded that there are better ways to make a Fender guitar louder. Holy grail status doesn't mean it's good for every individual.

kingofdogs1950 and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

After buying selling and using top quality guitar amps for 40 years I'm still not sure what I really want.

Now this could mean I'm a complete idiot!
    Or it could mean that "what we really want" is a figment of our imagination, where our wanting actually originates.
    While I have numerous amps I get sounds I love out of, every single one is at times the wrong amp for me.

For this reason my choice in amps is lots of them and no cheap ones!
    How many years do we get?
    How much money do we spend on dwellings where we can't play loud guitar?
    How many thousands of dollars worth of guitars and pedals do some of us run into amps that took up less of our gear budget than the other links in the signal chain?

Not that I'm disagreeing with getting what we really want for an amp...

EsquireBoy likes this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Yes I did actually, but did not spend much time with it though because it was in a shop and it was several years ago. I remember I liked it a lot.
    There are many amps that I like; it just happens that I have an occasion to make a trade for one of them (the brown Princeton), but wish to choose wisely since I won't be able to get something else in a long time after that.
    Having played the Magnatone, I know that's the one I would buy if I had the cash and there was no need for me to make a trade.

Wally likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Well, of course. I play a “dream amp” probably once a month. There are a couple stores near that get a lot of cool stuff regularly. There’s a ton of stuff that is super inspiring and sounds amazing.

It’s probably just best to find something that works for you and stick with it. If you’re anything like me, there will always be a next one and the rabbit hole is never ending.

scelestus and EsquireBoy like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That's so very true!

It may very well be that it's versatile, and I absolutely dislike versatility when it comes to musical gear. I always end up sticking to one setting, and the unused switches and voicings hurt my OCD then :rolleyes:

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That's 100% right. But I'm a faithful person in so many parts of my life that I love to make my whole musical journey a deep rabbit hole! And I surely hope it will never end.

RiversQC and naveed211 like this.
  8. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I don't know, that Chris Stapleton 62 Princeton amp sounds really good. I'm partial to Fender amps though.

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tip!

10. internalprime8

internalprime8 TDPRI Member

If you are like me, you'll still want the Magnatone even after you settle for the Princeton and then you'll be even farther from getting it without the option to trade up. I would hold off until you can afford the Magnatone.

NewKid, twangjeff and EsquireBoy like this.
  11. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

This. Get what you actually want. Those CS Princetons are just "OK" (marketing hoo-hah if you ask me). You can literally find a real one for the same price too.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

The more I think about it, the more I think you’re right.

13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Thank you all very much for your many wise advices.
    I’ll have some spare time on Wednesday to go and try this Princeton again, but I think I’ll wait what’s necessary for my gear to sell, and look for the Magnatone. Or something else...? Oh hell, whatever!

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I finally voted...deferred gratification is a tried and true method of increasing the probability of liking what you end up with.....Magnatone got my vote. If I didn’t have a Leslie and some killer vintage bias vary trem amps, I might want one, too. With the Leslie combined with a good trem amp, you have that FM or AM option....or FM and AM together since the leslie achieves what that electronic circuit is trying to emulate.

Snfoilhat and EsquireBoy like this.
  15. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I do the same to my 5year old - you can have one treat now or two treats if you wait ten minutes and help me with the dishes.
    She always takes the one treat now.
    Go for your dream amp, I say.

tery and EsquireBoy like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This forum is littered with dream NAD's that end with selling the amp in frustration, boredom or whatever.

Hell, your 65 Amp may have started that way.

Don't make this more than it is. As @telemnemonics wisely noted, preferences change over time (or I would add, may not have been based on anything solid in the first place). As @Wally wisely noted, stereo is overrated in a small combo amp with no physical space between the speakers.

Hell, try a JC40 at a local shop. They have fantastic vibrato (and chorus). It is stereo. For live, I use a chorus pedal instead anyway. Cuts through better.

Don't replace gear you don't love and are trying to sell at a loss already, with more gear you don't love and don't need. That's just compounding the problem.

Lower the price on the items in the shop. Sell them. Then make a decision what (if anything) you actually want and need.

17. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Buy the dream, but make sure to try it 1st.

Especially if it's another boutique amp, or you'll take a big hit when trying to sell, as you've discovered with your current amp.

By the way, the only way to selling things without too much loss is to be willing to ship.

Ebay it, pack it well. I always pack knowing that the box will get dropped. I've packed amps and guitars to survive that. No issues so far.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

This one actually was a very pragmatic choice: it served me ok, but I never got excited playing it.
    But you’re right: a good opportunity does not necessarily equals a wise decision.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I’m mostly afraid of abusive returns.

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Yes take what you can get … be thankful for it , and chase the rainbow .

EsquireBoy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.