Acquiring super nice amp vs waiting for dream amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by EsquireBoy, Dec 2, 2019.

Should I cave in and buy the Stapleton Princeton?

1. Yes you should, it’s a really nice amp.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, you should wait for your dream amp.

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. Yes, make the trade, and buy the Magnatone nonetheless since you still have your two kidneys.

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I’ve been dreaming of a Magnatone Panoramic stereo for a couple of years, but it’s beyond my budget for now.

My local shop is storing the Chris Stapleton Princeton and would be ready to offer me a trade for my 65 amp Ventura + a boutique little Teisco inspired guitar that I have.

Unfortunately they do not sell Magnatone and the only Magnatone dealer in my whole area is not interested in any trade.
    The amp and the guitar I wish to trade are already listed for sale into my local shop, but it’s been 6 months with no catch.
    Of course I could try and sell them by myself, but after several problems with online buyers, I’m really not confident to do so.

I have an itch to do the trade for the brown Princeton that I do like a lot.
    But a little voice tells me I would always regret the Magnatone and its stereo effect.

What would you kindly advise before I cave in?

Thanks!

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Go big or go home. You DESERVE the Magnatone. Besides if you don't like it one of us will take it off your hands for only a small discount!:twisted:

EsquireBoy likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a big fan of the 6G2 Princeton that is the basis of that Chris Stapleton amp. I have never seen or heard that 65 Amp Ventura. However, looking at the gut shotI just saw and reading the 65 Amp description, I would be hard pressed to make that trade for that Fender amp.
    I would have to play through one of those Magnatones to think that I would have to have it.....and I have owned a Gibson Es-345TDC Stereo since I bought it new in the ‘60’s. I prefer to run that stereo guitar through two identical amps that can be separated by a minimum of 6 feet...say two meters. That is when the stereo t8ng really makes an impact..whether one has a truly stereo guitar or is synthesizing stereo with effects. I have owned a Bell(Gibson) GA-78 stereo amp....one of the V-front Gibson stereo amps, which is something that I ‘dreamed’ of owning for decades until I got one. It did not have the separation that made the stereo presentation as useful as it could be, imho. Ommv....

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I’ve never bonded with the Ventura and never been able to find an EF86 that does not become noisy as hell after only a month in this little combo. Plus I want a tube driven tremolo, since it’s an always on effect for me.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Life is short and you should get to play through what you really want. With that said, you should make sure that you really, REALLY want any new amp that is going to lose 40-ish% of its value after taking it home, "ESPECIALLY" an expensive one!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

EsquireBoy likes this.
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

None of the above?

I can't speak for prices in Paris but two grand U.S. is a princely sum for a Princeton pun intended. My point of reference was a real brown Deluxe that showed up at a local shop for around a grand.

Attempting to establish another point of reference I checked the price of a Mojotone kit. Mojotone doesn't seem to offer a 6G2 kit. I thought they offered a 6G2 chassis...

I'd hold out for a real 6G2 or an Allen Brown Sugar. Dave (Allen) doesn't export. There are ways...

Juke amps is semi- local and the expert on everything Magnatone. A Juke is a Magnatone with knobs on. It's simply a matter of time before another Juke shows up at Retro Music, also semi- local.

EsquireBoy and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I'm not familar with the Magnatone so I can't comment on it.
    I own a Mojotone 5f11 which is said to be basically the same amp as the 6g2. It seems like everyone loves 5f11/6g2s. I certainly love mine, and I've owned more than a few amps over the years.
    I would strongly urge you to try before you buy.

Mark

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

that 65 looks sweet. try a SED / Winged C EF86 before you give up on it -- I've been running one in my old Bad Cat for a couple of years now. Discontinued but there seem to be plenty around for not-ridiculous money.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Somebody wisely said, once you know something you can't un-know it.
    Now that you know you prefer high end amps you've got a lifetime to buy them and use them.
    While I generally agree we shouldn't give up what we want most in exchange for what we want now, unless you live in a starving third world country you can have both of the amps you long for.

WRT a stereo amp in a "mono" cab (only one cab so you can't separate the speakers unless you buy a second cab) I like stereo but would never choose stereo on one cab. Just makes no sense to me.

Over the years I've acquired and sometimes kept dozens of smaller amps along with plenty of bigger and huge amps.
    If you trade the spendy Ventura for the spendy Stapleton, you end up rid of an amp you don't like and using an amp you love.

Later you can buy another smaller amp and run it in stereo with the Stapleton, but in the kind of stereo that includes that cool feature of SEPARATION!!!

When I liked spring reverb I liked to run a reverb amp next to a non reverb amp, like a BFDR and a Tweed Deluxe.
    Better still a BFSR and a Plexi 100, which as my favorite guitar sound ever.
    I wasn't running any stereo effects but I had two different sounds coming from two different locations and mixing in the room.

IMO if you like stereo effects and like really top quiality expensive amps, you might also prefer to carefully choose which stereo FX you run into your stereo amp setup.
    Separates make this easier, plus you can bring one great small amp to rooms that don't have space for the bigger stereo amp.

Welcome to choices!
    Try them all!

NewKid and EsquireBoy like this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

If you can afford it..get it. Looking at reviews & gear sites and dreaming is no way as good as playing. Going for a DSL 50 tonite, not going to fret over it. just get. Enjoy it & move it along if doesn't get played much. Might wake up dead tomorrow..ya never know

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Dream amp versus super nice amp? There's one choice missing. Learn to get the most from what you have. I use a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, certainly nobody's dream amp but a pretty nice one nonetheless. It perfectly meets my needs. I'll say it took two or three years to get the amp figured out and then things went along pretty well until I got a new guitar. That started the process over again. I changed my channel setups to have twang and jazz sounds. There was a little fiddling and experimentation to get it just right with the new guitar. When I went back to my old guitars, I found the new settings are probably better than what I was using before and with the new settings I don't need to use a compressor. I still keep it to use with one guitar to get a little squish for the four bar introduction and four bar outro for one particular jazz number. But that said, maybe a Mesa Boogie California Tweed is my dream amp, but I can't imagine doing much better with it than with what I have. I bought dream guitars twice, at least what I dreamed of when I was in high school in the '60s, and find that I almost always reach for my two Strats or my Telecaster. The dream guitars mostly sleep in their cases.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  12. Wally

fwiw, the tremolo effect does not need to be in the tube domain for my purposes. I came to this conclusion when I had the loan of a Tone King Imperial MKII for a couple of months. The trem function in that amp is a solid state circuit varying the bias of the power tubes. I heard solid state reverb because the actual signal is being processed through tubes. That solid state trem circuit sounded no different day the trem circuit in that Princeton in which you are interested.

and....I can appreciate the concern about that EF86.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't vote because I have no way to know what you should do.

One thing I've found is that my preferences change over time.
    Some amps that I sold, traded (or lost in pawn shops and storage spaces), I really wish I still had.
    Others I kept during periods when they fell from favor are now amps I love again.
    Still others I have no interest in getting again, including some Holy Grail amps that it's easy to assume everyone will like.
    Had a Tweed Deluxe and a BF Deluxe Reverb in the early '90s, but they just are not my favorites.

For literally decades I disliked amps that produced distortion at lower volumes with higher gain preamps and MV controls.
    Even bought a MKIV Boogie and couldn't like it.
    Now I really like some of the preamp based amp dirt and would regret selling some amps that do that even though they currently are not being used.

NewKid, MilwMark and EsquireBoy like this.
  14. Donnie L

Donnie L TDPRI Member

I gotta a dream amp ... 1973 Princeton Reverb , 5751 in V1, Stokes Mod, Paul C mod, adjustable bias, 90s Legend USA speaker... the best sounding small combo amp I have ever heard, played and recorded

Apache Snow likes this.
  15. MXLBRY

MXLBRY TDPRI Member

If you're in love with the Princeton, get it. If not, sell what you're not in love with and grab the amp you actually want. Grab the amp you want now before it's gone and you can always sell what you don't want.

From experience, I went back to a slightly larger amp after owning a '72 PR for years. Just never wowed me or filled a room like a good vintage Deluxe Reverb does. Those Magnatone amps are killer too.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

One basic truth of gear--if you buy used, you can likely recoup more of your cost when you sell than if you had bought a new item. Wait for a great condition version of that Princeton to come up used, grab it, and wait until you can finally buy the Magnatone. Unload the Princeton, and voila.

A quick google turns up at least 7 used on Reverb, and that is only one marketplace.

EDIT--just noticed you are in Paris. The whole process may take longer as they may be harder to find there.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  17. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

The amp I use everyday is a 5F2 tweed Princeton clone: I love it dearly and won't part with it.
    I need another amp with slightly more headroom for other occasions and a different flavour. I've had the 65 Ventura for 4 years, and never bonded with it: to "voxy" sounding for me. It's as if it's already gone since it stays for sale at my local favourite guitar shop. My only dilemma is to know if I should wait (maybe one more year) before it sells, or if I make the trade right now for another amp which I've tried and like very much.

18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I'm with you on that: I use a very nice tremolo pedal with my 5F2 clone that sounds really good.
    But I find myself wanting to go direct without any pedal board, and since I never turn my tremolo off, a tremolo built in is a must have. One more reason why I'm getting rid of the 65 Ventura by the way (the 5F2 I keep because I just love it too much!).

19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

That makes me actually consider getting the Stapleton and use it in conjunction with my 5F2.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  20. Wally

Esquireboy, Have you ever played a Tone King Imperial MKII? If not, Anderton’s is a dealer. For you, that is in another country. For me here in Texas, that is a ‘short’ drive. If I were planning on speaking boutique kind of money, I would have to judge everything against that MKII....very impressive amp with great versatility for a straight ahead 2-channel amp.

EsquireBoy and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.