Acoustics and effects

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by jagajaguar, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jagajaguar

jagajaguar TDPRI Member

Hey guys, Couple years ago I was recording an acoustic clean into my DAW and just stacking effects onto it. Over time I got pretty good and made some cool tunes.

My issue now is actually replicating this in a live setting without getting a tun of feedback. I played my guild through a couple fishman amps over the weekend and kind of hated it. Honestly I dont know much about acoustic electrics and amplification so any suggestions would be a huge help. And I dont really want to switch over to electrics...

Amp suggestions? I just want to play my acoustic electric into an amp and use reverb and a couple delays without the feedback death.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. ColonelPanic

ColonelPanic Tele-Meister

If you're recording your guitar from it's jack output (ie, not from a microphone in front of it) have you thought about a soundhole cover? Martin's Feedback Buster is the one I use, and it works extremely well!

3. jagajaguar

jagajaguar TDPRI Member

thats what guitar center dude suggested!

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Feedback Buster in my Larrivee, and that's a good start. If you don't play with much gain or volume, that may be all you need.

Additional considerstions may apply. Firstly, picking hand damping - my right hand is always blocking unplayed strings, particularly the bass strings. Even with a soundhole blocker, I always damp with the picking hand.

Proximity to audio source. I don't get my signal exclusively from an amp, but I do use a small amp as a personal reference monitor. I split my signal to the small amp and to the PA, which is responsible for the bulk of my signal. Location and proximity of PA mains and monitor are things I need to concern myself with.

EQ and output volume are relative. As volume increases, you may need to back down slightly on your bass and/or low mids.

Even though I mostly have the variables under control, I work with different acts, with different instrumentation, with various PA systems, in various venues, and occasionally wind up dealing with curveballs and less than optimal circumstances. When things get weird, I sometimes wind up adjusting chord voicings to alleviate issues. A big open G chord can be the kiss of death in a problematic room/scenario. The open D & G strings love to feed back as left unchecked. I've been in a few situations where I had to substitute barre chords for open chords, particularly the G.

5. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Use in ear monitors instead of floor monitors.. Then you don't need to cover the sound hole.. Plus it sounds way better without the sound hole plugged..

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just curious - you say you want to replicate your previous recordings, but in a live setting and you want or feel you need an amplifier? If you're gigging somewhere, you might just be plugging straight into the PA, or through a DI box and/or with other EQ, and effects in the chain before it goes to the PA. Are you sure you want or need an amp? I have a number of friends who do Farmer's Markets where they take their own amps, but for acoustic, most venues will have a way for you to plug in and play. Then it's a matter of the best EQ for your guitar, plus all the dynamics that Tim Bowen mentioned above and lining in your effects.

I'm not trying to advocate one approach over another - there's some plenty fine acoustic amps out there, depending on your budget, but I guess I'm not clear about what your vision for a live setting is.

7. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

^^^ I played acoustic through a standard electric guitar amp, a Peavey Classic 30 and a Fender Blues Deluxe. However, I used them as my monitor, with mics and DI's through the PA for FOH. I had very little problem with feedback, provided I took care with amp placement. I only used the amp reverb, and liked the less-jangly tone of an electric guitar amp.

8. jagajaguar

jagajaguar TDPRI Member

thanks for the all great replies everyone. Honestly I just want to be able to play my songs live. Its a lot of processed guitar but has a particular sound because they came from an acoustic guitar so im trying to figure out how to go about this. I picked up fishman loudbox 120 from GC yesterday after playing it for a while I got some great sounds was impressed with its tone and feedback controls. Tonight im going to run it with some effects in front and see if I don't go deaf...

If this does not work out for me what do you folks think of something like the dan electro convertible

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/danelectro-convertible-acoustic-electric-guitar

anybody who is interested heres a link to my tunes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I only seem to get a bit of feedback if I use the wah with the acoustic going into an amp. I don't use a feedback buster. I tried it for a while but it changed the acoustic tone of the guitar and I didn't like it. If you're standing in front of a monitor try to keep the sound hole out of the direct line of sound from the monitor. Seems to work for me.

10. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone mention the possibility of going thru the computer and running a program like Gear Box ? Im pretty sure all the effects you used are probably in it...You can create your own presets and some tweeking may get ya really close to your studio sound..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.