"Acoustic" what a joke!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shango66, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

A good mic always wins but we all know how problematic they can be. My old DeArmond soundhole pickup directly into the PA sounded better than 95% of the factory equipped acoustics I used to hear at my daughters open mics.

2. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

There is a distinction between using a pickup of some sort (piezo is most convenient in general) into a PA with the other guitars and vocals to maintain a balanced sound and using an acoustic guitar as a controller for an effects package and off-stage rig. I am generally trying to make the first option work, but if they crowd expects the second, let them have it. Calling it 'acoustic' does seem inappropriate, though.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Do the acoustic models in my Variax count?

4. mcgannahan

mcgannahan Tele-Meister

No, not all soundhole pickups are bad at all. Especially love the juicy tone Django got when he started using the Stimer soundhole pickup in the early 40s.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

So if you had to play acoustic guitar for 400 people what would you do?

The only acoustic looper guy that I know is Keller Williams - he's amazing.

I don't understand the gripe. Amplifying a violin or cello or an acoustic guitar and making it sound natural is more complicated than amplifying any electric guitar. To make my D-28 sound just like a natural D-28 but at 15 times the volume is horribly difficult. I gig acoustic as much as I do electric. It's really complicated.

I can't imagine that you expect 250 folk music fans to be dead quiet in a club while a guy plays his unamplified 00028 white sitting in a corner....."Shhhhhh.....we can't hear him" What are you thinking?

I gig in a cover band and I play a Taylor 12 string on about 15 songs. We do things like the Goo Goo Dolls version of Give a Little Bit (the old Supertramp hit). I have the Taylor 150e with active treble and bass running into a Fishman Loudbox 100 and an SM57 is on the front of the amp and there is an XLR out on the back of the amp that runs into a really nice Allen and Heath board out to the JBL's that are out front. We're using two channels for the 12 string. I'm not happy with the way it sounds. It sounds so much better when I play it unplugged. It's a pain in the *** to make it sound beautiful and natural. The board has highs and lows and dual parametric mids. It's still a pain in the *** to get natural sound. Across the bar room stage Glenn has a Les Paul plugged straight into an old Marshall and it sounds heavenly no matter what he does. He looks at me when I change over to the 12 string and just shakes his head while he patiently waits. The crowd is waiting John......chicks are leaving the dance floor John......let's go dude......

That's reality. Have you ever played an acoustic guitar for 400 people? How about 4000?

6. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Sound amplification has been a necessary part of acoustic guitar performances for a long time, from a simple microphone in front of the sound hole to all kinds of on-board and separate systems. The problem is, when we hear the term "solo acoustic guitar," we tend to conjure up old images of just that - one guy/gal, one guitar, nothing more.

I have nothing against a guitarist - acoustic or electric - using whatever and as much gear as he/she needs. I just think there are limits, beyond which the performance becomes secondary to the gadgets and technology.

I own a bookstore and we host live music once in a while. A couple of weeks ago, we had an acoustic duo, both exceptional guitar players. One brought 3 instruments and pedals and a looper and a harmonizer and more, all going into an elaborate board feeding the PA system. He took three trips to his car to load-in and took over an hour to set up for a 90-minute performance. The second guy showed up 5 minutes before showtime with one guitar, plugged directly into the board and played. Both sounded equally good, but the first guy had to continuously tweak his gear for each song.

7. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Acoustic or unplugged just usually means seated.

8. mcgannahan

mcgannahan Tele-Meister

Exactly, impossible actually. Because an acoustic guitar acts as it's own amplifier -- especially a D28! To get that same woof you hear sitting right in front of one, hard to amplify that.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, the other one that gets me is people who claim they put piezo pickups on their electric guitars so they have the option of getting "acoustic" sound. Huh?

10. ac15

I agree, yet a lot of people insist that their awesome pickups make their electrified acoustic sound "like my guitar only louder". No they don't. They're not listening closely enough.

11. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Trying to play purely acoustically is very much dependent on the venue and the audience. I have played an ongoing gig with others in a purely acoustic setting to a very attentive audience for a number of years, now. The room is about as good as it gets for an acoustic performance and the audience is very respectful of us as we play. On the other hand, if I play my acoustic guitar in a club, I will probably have my LR Baggs M1A installed into my Collings. I can set it up or take it out in less than a minute and I do not want it permanently installed because I love the purely acoustic opportunities.

12. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

To amplify my 12 string Yamaha I installed a K & K system, three piezos and an output jack basically. An "acoustic" tone is pretty much not possible, it sounds like electricity and speaker cone(s), and as previously said "vibrating crystals"
    There are probably better amps to use than a Crate Flexwave. There are probably better things to stick piezos in than a 12 string Yamaha acoustic
    Plugged into a Deville it sounds like the Indigo Girls and the Byrds hitting one another with their guitars

Neil Young's acoustic sound always stood out to me, his was splendid

13. ac15

Yes, neil uses the FRAP system, which was made in the 70's. The modern version of that is the Amulet system by Trance Audio. It's as good as it gets.

That's what I use, though more often than not, I use an electric guitar or sound hole pickup (if I use an acoustic).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.