Acoustic repair

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bendeane, Feb 17, 2013.

1. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

Probably not the right forum, but I'm giving it a shot. I have a nice acoustic that I assume humidity (or lack thereof) has gotten the best of. It's a Taylor with UV coating and the binding has separated from the body. In a few places, it's taken some shards and even small chunks of the wood with it. I'm thinking of ripping off all the offending binding, sanding, replacing with new binding and touching up the bad spots.

My questions are this, what is there that could possibly fill the chunks missing that might not cover the beauty of the wood? Also, what clear finish is appropriate to use? It would need to stick to the existing UV coating.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be awesome. Pics to come.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Without seeing pix yet, I'd think your best bet would be to reglue the separated binding, along with the wood chunks, back in place

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I would also just fix it and not attempt a new binding job... you may make it look worse...just my 2 cents. You could tint some epoxy or use a colored wood filler and or sharpies for touch up.

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, smells like trouble brewing to me, too.

If you can just make a nice little repair job of it, things will be much less complicated. Another thing you could consider, if the damage is worse than we imagine, would be to rout away the binding in its entirety, and replace it with slightly taller (wider?) binding to eliminate a wavering edge line- but there would have to be pretty extensive damage to the original to warrant this type of repair.

5. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

Big ol' can O-worms. How do you feel about a sunburst top? easiest way would be to Humidify it, stabilize the damage with super glue, fill in the missing chips with wood filler and level. Remove the bridge and pickguard, scuff the top by wet sanding the fiinsh flat with 2000 grit sandpaper and spray a sunburst over the top. Scrape the binding and spray a gloss or satin Lacquer on the top. Nitro will bond to the UV if you break the gloss on the top. and the super fine paper will assure that the scratches in the UV aren't so deep that they won't fill and be hidden by the Lacq overspray. I don't have the set up to spray urethane. That is why I'd use Nitro.
    Having rebound bodies before. I'd avoid that if at all possible. If a natural finish is what you want though, I can understand that too.

Can you post some pictures??

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 ;)

7. Mainframe

Mainframe TDPRI Member

Check out Bob Taylor's video on youtube about humidity and repairing guitars, you may just need to humidify and glue it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.