Acoustic pedal board

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Axegrinder77, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps overkill, but going acoustic for a while and I need my crutches, and I get board easily... No overdrive pedals at least! The ricochet is to drop in some faux basslines. Delay pleasantly surprises. Still on the fence with the compressor, might swap in my ge7 EQ.

20210723_131501.jpg

2. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Depends on the gig, but I use a compressor, sometimes an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master and Ditto x2 looper, into an LR Baggs Venue. Sometimes just the Venue. For my fiddle its a Korg tuner pedal and a LR Baggs Para DI.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool. My archtop/acoustic/duo rig is two Dittos, a Donner Alchemy, (7 different modulation sounds) and an OD set minimal.

4. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

Saw the title and immediately thought: "Your pedals ain't gonna sound like much unplugged, hoss". :D Seriously though, Wah pedal!

Flip G likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Compressor staying I think. For leads, it's nice to get some sustain. The Red eye DI has a treble control and boost, so the ge7 isn't really necessary. That red eye is fantastic btw, goes perfect with kk mini pickup.

black_doug likes this.
  6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That Red Eye is a lot smaller than what I’ve been plugging my K&K Mini into. I’ve had it for a long time though.

61291373-2C7D-4109-82BE-E25B370E2508.jpeg

7. Axegrinder77

It's very small. I wish it had a power jack (battery only). Lasts a long time, but you need to unplug the input lead when done playing or you are draining battery.

I found out about it over on the Martin guitar forum, where a lot of guys use (and endorse) the KK mini. The consensus seems to be the RedEye is a top choice. I had the KK pure preamp, but wasn't thrilled with it. The RedEye has some magic, it sounds great.

Many preamps have too high an impedance for the KK. Around 1meg is ideal I think. Maybe 2 or 3 megaohm max.

black_doug likes this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’m playing acoustic into a boss tu-3 tuner-BBE Acoustimax- MXR CC delay and on to my Fishman Loudbox mini XLR out to the house system of wherever I am.
    I’m considering a Boss AD-10 to replace my 3 pedals.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  9. Axegrinder77

I like my loudbox mini, but I find I usually prefer straight into the pa.

10. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t really use enough pedals for building a board just for acoustic. Most of the time I plug straight into a DI, to the PA.

I did try a reverb pedal a few weeks ago.

11. Axegrinder77

Yeah I'm not sure I'll carry on with the board. Maybe I'll get a mini board for the red eye, add a battery powered tuner and maybe keep the chorus on there. There's something about an acoustic set that feels right stripped right down. Idk.

black_doug likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

nice
    I have a couple rigs.

tu9-analogman chorus-redeye

T rex soulmate

tu9-eq-rev-od-chor-redeye (for acoustasonic) rig

13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I have an EHX organ pedal, which is awesome for adding a little beef to bigger sections of songs, then into a TC Play Acoustic, which makes my Martin sound mic’d and provides a touch of delay and reverb. It also has a built in looper and vocal processing. Highly recommended.

guitarndrms and black_doug like this.
  14. guitarndrms

guitarndrms TDPRI Member

I have a hybrid rig that I use for both my electric and acoustic. I have it setup very basic right now but hoping to expand on it once I get more comfortable with the options. The brains are both the HX stomp and the Play Acoustic pedal. The PA really adds a lot to my acoustic sound. I’m running an under saddle piezo pickup and with the body rez in the PA pedal it warms up nicely. I use a tad bit of overdrive via the stomp for some of the lead stuff I do over loops created with the PA pedal. The vocal effects I get with the PA are superb as well, don’t really even need a mixer for my solo setup. It’s a fun rig for sure!

Attached Files:

Obsessed likes this.
  15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've been using 2 pedalboards in my solo acoustic show, for over 12 years.

It mainly consist's of:

Pedalboard #1 runs the mic and guitar into a DigiTech Harmonizer, which splits the vocal out to a small mixer (also located on the pedalboard); and the guitar out to the other pedalboard.

Pedalboard #2 consists of a DigiTech Overdrive pedal (volume boosts for leads); to a DigiTech Multi Effects processor (for slight reverb, slight compression, eq, chorusing etc.); to a DigiTech Looper; to a Boss Delay pedal; to a BBE Sonic Maximizer.

Then it goes into a Bose L 1 Compact system.

(Or, sometimes I use 2 JBL EON powered 10's on tri-pods for bigger venues.)

It looks like H**l, but I've put it together from trial and error... and it's worked for many years.

I can set up the 2 pedalboards and Bose system in about 15 minutes.

Tear down is about 10 minutes.

Obsessed, 39martind18 and guitarndrms like this.
  16. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Bare bones for me: 1939 Martin D18 with a L R Baggs M80, straight into my Fishman Artist Loudbox. To me, other than reverb/delay, altering the tone of that guitar is subtraction rather than addition. YMMV

guitarndrms and Obsessed like this.
  17. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Yes!

I wish that I could do that "bare bones" approach; a more traditional approach.

But, it wouldn't go over in the venues where I normally perform.

They expect more variety in song choices and like different sonic textures.

And, actually, I do too.

So, imo, it is an "addition"; and it keeps me working.

guitarndrms likes this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Rand Z- Your "and it keeps me working" is the true bottom line. My post was more focusing on the grand tonality of my old Martin than anything else. I seldom play straight acoustic, instead using one of several electrics (usually an Epiphone Sheraton USA Reissue, run through a Roland GR30 guitar synth). This electric also has a piezo equipped bridge, so there is an acoustic flavor in its repertoire. The synth can produce sounds of sax, flute, trumpet, fiddle, pedal steel, several organs and piano. Add in computerized backing tracks (Band in a Box) and a Digitech Vocalist Live harmony unit, and there are lots of different textures available and that are used. The bare bones acoustic sound is really a change for contrast. And yes, you're right: I do have to pick carefully the songs played acoustically that would benefit from that particular sound, but it does work. YMMV

rand z likes this.
  19. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

I have a Baggs Venue and use the effects loop. That goes direct to the PA.

I have two delays (one just slapback), a rotary speaker sim (a chorus would do as well), a Mosaic 12-string pedal all the time. Sometimes I'll run a tremolo pedal or a phase shifter. I think I want a reverb pedal as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.