Acoustic - Online vs. In Person

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by CajunJ, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Since you already own one of the classic, admired and widely recorded acoustic guitar models of all time and it's not clicking fully for you, I'd say to slow down, take your time and find (but don't force) opportunities to try things out in person.

You're looking for the magic one, not just a really good one. You've already got "really good". And buying online + returning gets old very fast when you're looking for that kind of magic.

There's nothing wrong with not being head over heels about your D-18. Maybe it's not the best example of one, or maybe even a great D-18 just isn't your thing. That's okay; there are a lot of classic, valuable guitars that, if they were just given to me, I'd probably hand right over to a good shop to sell on consignment.

Looks like there are plenty of shops around the Asheville area. Since getting around to them is inconvenient, I recommend calling those local shops and asking a manager to keep an eye out for you for guitars that they think might be the one. You've got a healthy budget, so they should be very interested in working with you. Then hopefully a visit to the (relatively) local shop with or without your family wouldn't be impossible.

Harry Styron, CajunJ and Boreas like this.
  2. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sound Pure in Durham, NC carries some nice guitars. Super nice guys, too.

scrimmer and CajunJ like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

One more thing, before I said plan a couple-three days to look. if you find something you love the first day, don't buy it. Keep looking and go back the second and third day and play and listen to it each of the days.. if it IS the one, it will speak to you each of the days, if it doesn't one of the days, you should keep looking.

CajunJ likes this.
  4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I've ordered many acoustics online. Only one dog.

"The one" is a thing they say on internet forums. Mystical BS. Like mojo.

I get compliments on the sound of my guitar even when I am gigging my $300 Yamaha. The looks I get when I tell people it lives in the trunk of my car...

Order your guitar. If you hate it, send it back.

Dan

5. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

This is a good strategy. I flew to NYC to try a large variety of Pro Line Gretches at Streetsounds. Thought I wanted an Annie or a 6120, found a White Falcon I couldn't live without. They shipped it home for me.

6. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Go to the Galax fiddlers convention, bring your guitar, sit in with others. You will hear some great guitars, there are usually some for sale. This is probably one of the largest oldtime music festivals in the world. A great place to get a line on vintage guitars, mandolins, and fiddles.

elihu, Harry Styron, scrimmer and 3 others like this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I always say to try it in person. Especially when it comes to acoustics. They are much more unpredictable than electrics. Electric guitars are more likely to be remotely consistent than acoustics as I am sure you have noticed. I would never buy a high priced acoustic without trying it. I might buy a cheap one from a rummage sale without trying it, but never a moderate or high priced one. They could be anywhere between a prized possession and an absolute nightmare.

That said I did buy an electric on line, a process I will not likely do again, not because it was a bad experience but because it made me extremely uncomfortable as I could not try it before I paid $2000 for a guitar.

Boreas and CajunJ like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Do both.

Buy what you can afford to be unhappy with that's as close as you can guess based on your few samples.

Then assume one more decade of shopping will probably still be required to get what you call "the one".
    Allowing for now and then thinking "this is the one!" for a week or two.
    Unless you win the lottery and get "the one" in the mail?
    Could happen!

Spending one whole year to find the perfect acoustic?
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I wish it was that simple.

kingofdogs1950 and CajunJ like this.
  9. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

I like this strategy.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. getbent

of course you are right. for some the emotional part of the selection process or even the desire for having a 'special guitar' is singular. For a musician, it is just a tool. I suggested he travel and seek his perfect guitar because it seems like that fits his emotional need.

But, yeah, chances are good that if you buy from a good retailer, the guitar will be great, how we choose to feel about it... well, that will vary.

Pcs264, Daddydex and Boreas like this.
  11. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Nah, GB, I’m not on an emotional quest for “the one.” Like @telemnemonics said, that could take a while. I’ll wait for that moment over the years. I just want a more throaty and deep D-18 than mine. Good solid one is all I’m after.

Boreas likes this.
  12. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I like to play first, and I do like to shop locally (most of my purchases), but that simply isn't always practical. Because of that I've bought several on line from dealers with great return policies (including a Larrivee SD-40, Taylor 324, and Martin 000-15sm). I've needed to use the return/exchange policy three times with no extra cost to me.

CajunJ likes this.
  13. getbent

you'll find it.

It is funny. we are all emotional beings. the ones who deny it are just masking it (you can tell by how emotional they get about it.)

our desires are even emotional. you want 'more throat and depth' because it sounds better to you... as you unravel that, you'll find, yep, a huge emotional response.

I do it. Daddyex does it. we all do it. we are emotional animals.

CajunJ likes this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

unlax sucka! you cool, post away , guilt is a waste of time and energy ,
    you be here,
    you be welcome
    in case I missed you on your entry , welcome!;) pull up some dirt chat-a-spell.
    yes we are a very opinionated group of wacko's but we have very very comfortable elastic ,one size fits all boundaries
    I think the greatest guitar in the entire world is the 1928 National Duolian, and it is if you tune it to open "G or D", but that belief isn't an exclusive bit of imperious dogma, can you dig it? :D

getbent likes this.
  15. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I'm looking for "the twenty".

16. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

"I've ordered many acoustics online. Only one dog."

I have never ordered a dog online.....:eek::lol:

17. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Well maybe just a little… ;)

getbent likes this.
  18. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

In the old days, a dude would just enlarge the soundhole and scallop/shave the braces. I would advise against this, but there is a slight chance it could turn out well...:confused:

getbent and CajunJ like this.
  19. getbent

IMG_3587.jpeg IMG_8900.jpeg

we ordered this critter online. reputable breeder in oregon, drove up and picked him up.

black_doug, Dukex, CajunJ and 2 others like this.
  20. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Not saying I wouldn't love going on that hunt. :)

I love them all. That's the problem.

Dan

CajunJ and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.