Acoustic guy dipping a toe in ...

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by 12Frets, Feb 26, 2020.

1. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Howdy from a long-time acoustic guitar/mandolin player from the Houston area. I've been picking mostly bluegrass and fiddle tunes for a good while, but never played electric other than to pick one up and noodle a bit on rare occasions.

I basically consider myself 100% an acoustic player, but I'm excited about expanding my horizons. This site keeps popping up with great information, not to mention a really good natured vibe. Looking forward to seeing more. If any of you hang out on the Unoffical Martin Guitar Forum or the Mandolin Cafe, I've been known to post on both sites.

2. Nashville-tele-19

Nashville-tele-19 TDPRI Member

Welcome, I joined recently and people are really helpful on here :)

tintag27 likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Welcome to the both of you!

12Frets - what are you looking to buy? I'm assuming probably a Tele. :)

- D

4. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum! You will find a bunch of friendly and knowledgable folk on here, happy to give you advice on how to spend more money than you ever intended to, haha. :0) Seriously though, there is a wide range of talent and expertise here, and telecasters are a big part of that - but by no means all. We all appreciate guitars and music of all kinds, so there is plenty of stuff for you to share and discover for yourself...
    Plus - don't forget to visit the Acoustic subforum!
    In the meantime if you'd like to post some photos of your Martin (?) we all like guitar pictures!

mrmousey and 12Frets like this.
  5. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Thanks y'all. I really haven't decided, but certainly leaning towards a Tele. The only electric that I've got in the house is a Squire strat I bought my kid about a decade ago, which I dug out of the closet over the weekend and paired with a $25 practice amp I found at a garage sale. :p

I'm kind of looking around to see what's the best I could do for around $2k, including a tele and a tube amp. The short answer seems to be "a lot," whether I go new or used. I'm leaning towards new if only so I can probably pick my rig based on what I want rather than what happens to be available. There's a gorgeous American Performer at a shop close to my house that might go great with a Fender Champ or a Blues Junior. I've still got a fair amount of research to do though.

6. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Will do! This one’s probably tied with a 12-fret D-28 for my favorite acoustic these days.
    84CA3E2E-FAE9-4262-A2C0-6C2723DA0740.jpeg

7. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

And here’s a little mandolin content for good measure ...

Collings MT2-0

36799F84-5B9B-4D0B-A640-023B11EED175.jpeg

... and a pretty old Gibson A1

4DF0ADD7-7A57-4B85-A046-30279E4C96C1.jpeg

8. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome. Nice instruments!

10. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Sir!

11. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Beautiful instruments - looks like that tele will have a lot to live up to :0)

12Frets likes this.
  12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

13. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey 12 fret, I'm a longtime member of the UMGF, here's a photo of two of my 12 fretters..
    20150103_180111.jpg
    0028 & 0018 1931
    There's a lot of fun to be had for here for sure, a tele and a Champ can be as much fun as any man can stand, one of my favorite pairings is one of my teles with my Champ!! Welcome home 12 frets, glad you made it!!

RJ

14. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all. I like this place already.

15. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Electric? Quit while you're ahead. :)

Welcome!

tintag27 and 12Frets like this.
  16. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Those are gorgeous and have some played-in mojo. I'm a fool for a slothead. What are they? They look like 12-fret 000-18's of some variant or another, but I can't quite figure them out.

I've got a Collings 0001A (12-fret hog 000) that's a killer, but it's a lot brighter and crisper than I'd expect from a simililarly configured Martin. One of these days I'd really like to play one.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome, 12Frets!

Love that old Gibson. I just got an old snakehead. It's in the shop getting The Treatment. My other mando is a Redline A5 from outside Nashville.

Came to mando late in life, so I keep a narrow focus: blues, folk, old-school country, and garage rock.

Teles are a blast. Electric is funny, because it's exacty like acoustic yet nothing like acoustic. A Tele's minimalist circuitry gives you easy access to a lot of tones without twirling a lot of knobs.

What's your amp? A tip: It's better to have a great amp and okay guitar than it is to have a great guitar and okay amp. (Of course, a great amp and guitar isn't too much to ask for.)

I hung out some at UMGF when I had a Martin. I still hang out at the Cafe a lot. Good sites. TDPRI is the most entertaining, though.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome aboard! There are more than a few members here also from Houston and even a few who play acoustics as well. It's just a wonderful source for information - people with all kinds of experience. Hope you find a new adventure in electric guitars and don't be shy about posting photos.

12Frets likes this.
  19. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Thanks Amigo. Houston's a great city. I live about a mile down the street from Fuller's. I need to get in there and make some choices. I'm still pretty overwhelmed by it all. I've figured out that I like chunky old 50s-style necks and tube amps, but beyond that I'm awash in information.

I'm probably making the perfect the enemy of the good, and should just pick something good but affordable rather than "perfect" along with a decent amp, and allow myself to grow with it.

20. Thinline casket

Thinline casket TDPRI Member

More grassers is good! Welcome.

I play grass for money but I love my thinlines.

Give one a try!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.