Acoustic guitar suggestions?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by JSWhite92, Apr 1, 2012.

1. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I haven't played a bad Godin family guitar yet and really liked the Normans and Simon and Patricks. What I brought home though was an Art & Lutherie which was a fantastic guitar for cheap which I later gifted to my sister.

2. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

used Wechter Pathmaker with the three way pickup system---great axe, great playability, awesome plugged in.......

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

The Seagull S-6 that I have is a bolt on neck, bolted from inside the body. Mine had a little piece of paper glued over it so it wouldn't show if you looked in. I had always assumed that it was a glued in neck. Maybe some glue was used?? But I removed the paper,[same color as the adjacent wood], and there was the bolt. My neck was a bit loose, and I learned at a repair shop that the paper patch was there. Other wise, I would have never known.

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Taylor also utilizes a bolt on neck. I don't know if all there guitars use a bolt on setup, but they do use a lot of bolt on necks.

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

+1 on the Martin X series. Those are remarkable sounding instruments for the price point. At the high end of your price range, I'd at least try a Breedlove Atlas. Comes with a case which IMO is on a par with custom shop models.

6. ButterScotchPH

ButterScotchPH Tele-Meister

+2 on the Eastman

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When you said "acoustic," did you mean as in not acoustic/electric, or is that a feature you're looking for/would like?

I've never played a Seagull that spoke to me. Granted, I haven't played a whole bunch of 'em, so maybe I need to get out more, Seagull-wise.

My first recommendation would be to second telleutelleme's recommendation of an Atlas series Breedlove. I have an older, discontinued one (had it 4 years now), an AD25/SM: Atlas series; Dreadnaught size/shape; deep body; soft cutaway; solid Sitka spruce top; solid Mahogany back. Fishman electronics. It is my go-to gigging acoustic/electric.

[​IMG]

For that matter, I can even recommend checking out a Breedlove from the Passport series. I've played a couple of Breedlove Passport C250/CMs, one here in Corpus Christi, TX, one in San Antonio. Both were players, and had a nice tone. Concert size/shape; deep body; soft cutaway; solid red Cedar top; Mahogany back & sides.

[​IMG]

Also, +2 on Colt's recommendation of the Martin X series. Pretty good tone, a good value.

8. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really liked Breedloves at about the 800$ price point. They are nice guitars. But honestly, the best thing to do is go out, play ever acoustic you can get your hands on both acoustically and through an amp. Once you go through about 50 guitars, you will know what you like and don't like. Its really hard to go look at just a few guitars and compare. If you sample three guitars, you will always like one better than the other two, but you may not like that guitar once you play 50 more.

9. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I look for a used Larrivee. I got one of their L 03's for around $800 and it's hands down the best acoustic I've ever played. You will have to be patient though, it's rare to get them at that price.

10. logan2z

logan2z Tele-Holic

The L-03 is a great guitar. I also love the limited edition LS-03, the best acoustic I've played.

11. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Try out a Taylor 114

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seagull or Breedlove spring to mind.

I have had a Seagull S6 cedar top for 12 years. Chose it in part because the top did not have a glossy coat. It looks way cooler now that it's covered in pock marks and scratches. Love it to pieces, literally. The top is warped and the bridge had to be re-glued down. I never took good care of it. So if you get one, take good care of it (hard case, humidity under control). It still sounds great, if getting in tune is a PITA. Neck is C-H-U-N-K-Y. Tuners haven't lasted 12 years.

Taylor 114 or 214 sounds v. nice, but not solid top.. which means it doesn't "grow with the player" ... whatever floats your boat. I like solid top. That's why I chose the Seagull as it was the only solid top in the <400 range in the store. I was like 13 years old. Good choice, me.

13. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

I agree with the used Larrivee route. The L-03 is a great all around guitar. 1 3/4 nut for fingerpicking and handles strumming very well too. There are always some used ones over on the Larrivee forum in the $700-800 range.

I also recommend the Epiphone Masterbilt series. I have an AJ-500R and it's an outstanding guitar. Holds its own very well next to the Gibson J-45 I used to have, and all for about 1/3 of the price.

14. Reverbely

Reverbely Tele-Meister

I would have to say a used Larrivee as well got a D03 used five years ago and have been in love with it. An absolute quality guitar. Solid wood, ebony fretboard.

I would also throw in the Guild GAD series. I played some a while back and really enjoyed them. I don't know of the newer ones or their other series except for their more expensive ones but they know how to make a quality instrument. Always been partial to Guild though

15. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Maybe take a look at the new Yamaha A series guitars. In your price range they're possibly the most guitar you'll get for your money.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...rs-basses/el-ac-guitars/a-series/?mode=series

I've played the AC3R and it's a real nice guitar.

16. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Eastman or Epiphone Masterbilt

17. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I've used S6, Guild, Taka's, And, Taylor, Gibson. True story here. While playing live, I've used these guitars. I used my Gibson Artist indoors years, however, my wife found me a Fender acoustic/electric at Goodwill and it sounds as good as the Gibson through the PA and Acoustic amp. It cost $29.95. There are diamonds in the rough every where and no two guitars are equal. I've also played $200 Yamaha and Ibanez guitars that sounded stellar. Find you a Silver Creek and you'll be happy too.

18. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Martin OM-1. I got mine used but in pristine condition off CL for $650. Solid wood construction gives you Martin sound in a comfortable, easy to play guitar. 1 3/4 inch nut width is great for fingerstyle or strumming. It's laminated neck laughs at humidity variation, and it's made right here in Nazareth Pa. I put a bone saddle and pins in mine, and a K&K pure mini pickup. Less than 1000 bucks out the door at GC, or less with a special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  19. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I was at a guitar shop in Castle Rock, CO in 1996 that got it's first Blueridges (with the old good looking logos). He had a D-18 version and a D-28 version, I still kick myself in the a$$ for not getting the hog dread back then...

When I get the money saved up, I know what I am on the hunt for...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.