Acoustic guitar suggestions?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by JSWhite92, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JSWhite92

JSWhite92 TDPRI Member

Hey dudes!

Figured it's about that time where I budget myself out into investing in a new acoustic guitar. I'm looking to spend in between $500-$800. I don't prefer any particular brand, I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck.

I like to play jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll, fingerstyle and other general forms of rock.

That said, let's hear your picks!

Thanks mates.

;)

2. logan2z

logan2z Tele-Holic

I suggest you play a Seagull S6 before spending more $$$. I just picked mine up after a setup from my luthier and it plays/sounds fantastic. The price:performance of the S6 is pretty staggering. Of course I'd love to have a Taylor, Martin or Larrivee at some point, but I'm thrilled with the Seagull and the amount of cash still left in my bank account.

3. JSWhite92

JSWhite92 TDPRI Member

Did a bit more research since I posted this. And I figured I'd get a response similar to this. Seagull S6 definitely sounds like a good way to go. I've been combing the Chicago craigslist looking and hopefully I'll have one in hand soon :)

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

4. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I'm on a similar quest and tried out loads of guitars last week. I'm after a smaller OM or 000 size and some of the best budget spanks were from Recording King and Blueridge. Eastmans are worth checking out if you can stretch the budget a bit.

I didn't try the Seagull S6 but I did try the Seagull Maritime SWS Mini Jumbo which was quite nice.

I ended up trying too many guitars and getting in a twist so I'll continue the search next week but Recording King are looking like a strong possibility.

Good luck.

5. OrangeAgent27

OrangeAgent27 TDPRI Member

+1
    I have been playing the Seagull S6 rustic for about 5 months now and love it. Beautiful tone and physically stunning as well. Sound wise, think REM's Drive

6. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Seagulls are the best for the buck and are flat out really nice. I was looking at all the different models on their web sight yesterday, the S-6 Rustic looks real enticing to me. I have an S-6 Spruce I bought new in 2000. It has a spruce top. I have to get out and play some more Seagulls at a shop... just for fun. I may buy one.

7. OrangeAgent27

OrangeAgent27 TDPRI Member

The only thing I can say "heads-up"-wise is the top is extremely soft. I mean, I'd be more careful with this thing than a baby's head.

I might have to rethink my priorities. ;)

8. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Seagulls are great. I'd also look at used Takamines and whatever's left of the Epiphone Masterbilt line.

9. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

forget the akyoostick and grab a tele! or anything electric for that matter. :)

10. logan2z

logan2z Tele-Holic

I've heard the same about the cedar top I've only had mine for a few months and so far no scratches, but I'm pretty careful.

11. skimballc

skimballc TDPRI Member

I'll second the Recording King suggestion. I was on a similar hunt recently and ended up with an RD-316. All solid wood- adirondack spruce and mahogany. Really nice guitar.

12. 73Telecaster

73Telecaster Tele-Meister

Excellent bang for the buck is the Yamaha AC1M. Selling in Canada for around $599.

13. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

Seagull, made by the GODIN Guitar company, also makes the excellently priced Simon & Patrick that I own (spruce top, mahogany back and sides). They make Normans and concert and electric guitars too, by the way.

14. Rod Parsons

Seagull,[maybe all of the Godin Co. acoustics ??], have very thin nitrocellulose lacquer finishes on the tops so they can resonate better. Thus, they are softer and can dent a little easier..... No biggie! Worth the trade off, imo.

15. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Seagulls are great guitars, no doubt, but they have big necks that aren't for everyone. I would never own one for that reason.

That said, I've found the other Godin brands to be worth looking into.

There are also a lot of Pacific Rim companies putting out great stuff for cheap these days.

Walden does some nice affordable stuff with solid spruce tops, and Blueridge makes some very nice sounding instruments. In fact, I once had some time to kill in a big box store, so I decided to find the best sounding acoustic in the place, and a Blueridge won over Martins and Taylors five times its price.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  16. Rod Parsons

That's right, Tarnisher...... I remember a music store owner in Henderson-ville, North Carolina who, showed me and let me play a new Blue Ridge back in about 2003. I think that Blue ridge was a new company, maybe, but he was very excited about it, and the price was right.. It played and sounded wonderful.. I need to go play one of those again..

17. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

Perhaps a blueridge br-163. I have the br-183 myself, just a little more bling

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last fall I decided to buy another acoustic in the 500-600$ range. I played everything from Seagulls, Martins, Taylors, Breedloves, Taks, Epiphones, etc. that I could find. I ended up buying a Martin X series. The laminate construction made it a great option for me as a travel guitar, and a guitar that can withstand the dry heat here in West Texas. I also thought it sounded just as good if not better than all its peers. Plugged it, it sounds like a much much more expensive guitar.

[​IMG]

19. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Seagull. The S6 Original is the first good quality acoustic I've owned. It's a GREAT guitar.

20. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I was in a shop a few days ago and they had about 6 Seagulls hanging up and everyone of them was perfectly setup and played and sounded great. And that included their lowest priced line, too. I didn't feel that they extended too deeply into the bass range, however. Oh, yeah, and they tout that the neck is a super strong type of construction where it joins the body - maybe somebody else can elaborate.

Given that they have sold so many, you might find a quality instrument for a good price in a Yamaha - esp if you don't mind CraigsList.

I would say it's a buyer's market right now,
    Greg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.