Acoustic Guitar Build Thread - Allowed/Wanted?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guitar novice, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Learning lots of little tricks. Will post more when I get a chance

Cheers

2. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that's a simple, cool, jig. Looking forward to watching this come together!

3. Guitar novice

Day 2 Begins.

The back is out of the gluing jig and then through the drum sander to clean it up and bring it down to 2.5mm thickness. This took about 3 hours to do so it's slow going.

Like the grain on the back..

[​IMG]

Here is the back of one of my fellow students. This is tasmanian blackwood. Stunning piece of wood.

[​IMG]

Next up is to determine what way to have the back showing. Here are 2 views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back of the acoustic is curved. To get that curve in place it's put on a dish and braced. The bottom of each brace is shaped by sticking sandpaper to the dish and rubbing it until there is no gap between the brace and dish.

To save time a taper is put on the brace with the plane. Forgot the photo of that but here is the aftermath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then glue time..

[​IMG]

Next it's time to bend the sides. This is an art... one that I don't quite have... A couple of practice bends are done first on scraps. The process basically involves wetting both sides and then holding down the timber to the iron for a few seconds and then moving it 1cm along. Keeping constant pressure you will feel that the timber gives in and will bend. It's amazing how much you can bend it. I decided to go with a cutaway which at this stage seems quite daunting.

[​IMG]

Another trick is to hold the curve in place while it cools. You can clamp it in the mold while it cools and also give you some time out. Here is the slow progress. Keep in mind this took me 1/2 a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't get time to do the cutaway. Need to sleep on that and try again tomorrow.

That's it for Day 2.

Cheers

4. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Looking good GN, Glad to see your teacher having you bend those sides by hand as opposed to a bending jig and blanket. Not that the jig/blanket combo is a bad thing but I think everyone who builds acoustic instruments should at least know how to bend by hand. I have only bent baltic birch ply for the sides of a resonator and it wasn't too bad. Do you know if those radius dishes your instructor has you using to sand your braces etc are MDF? If so, did he make those himself or are they purchased?

5. randyripoff

randyripoff TDPRI Member

Very nice. I'm looking forward to more.

6. Guitar novice

Day 3

Guitar back out of the mold. Using the japenese saw the oversized braces are trimmed so that they are just 1mm extended

[​IMG]

Next up is shaping the braces. You do this by marking the bottom brace 2 inches from the edge of the guitar. The top 2 braces you mark 2.5 inches. From that mark a block plane is used to taper the end until the edge of the guitar is about 2mm high. Any higher and you will need a large bit of binding later.

With low tack tape on the back to protect the back you then angle the block plane to get a fairly sharp point on the top 2 braces. The bottom 2 braces are sanded smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then use a chisel to create a small scallop on the taper.

[​IMG]

7. Guitar novice

Day 3 continued.

Prepared the tail and neck blocks. These blocks have a 4 degree angle on them. This angle will make the curve back alighn better.

[​IMG]

Next is make some kerfing. Strips are made on the bandsaw and then they are planed and sanded down to look more like a rounded triangle. Then it's time to cut the kerfs. This is one of those easy tasks on the bandsaw but quite annoying if you lose concentration and make a cut not uniform. The idea is that you buzz it on the bandsaw and then line up the old cut on the line to create a new cut.

[​IMG]

That's it for today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Going quicker than my build mate :) I only get 3hr windows in the shop though most days so by the time I've worked out my next move it doesn't leave a lot of actual work time lol.

Looking nice so far :)

9. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting mate. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful guitar!

10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man, that is looking good!!

11. Guitar novice

Thanks Guys.

Day 4 begins

Bit nervous today as I need to bend the cutaway. Here is what I am trying to achieve.

[​IMG]

Took some time but here is the end result. Happy days.. Let that sit in the mold and dry/cool. It will remember the shape better if it's left in there for a few hours.

[​IMG]

Next off to the band saw to cut the splice on the neck blank.

[​IMG]

Top is jointed using the same process we did for the back. The top is made from Huon pine which comes from Tasmania. Amazing bit of timber. Very light but also very strong. The photo doesn't show it very well but it has a very interesting grain pattern.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the neck joint on the linisher and then finished by hand sanding. This took some time as you want it perfect.

[​IMG]

Neck is glued up. Note the small nails put on the edges. This stops it from slipping. The neck is oversized so where the nails are will be removed later.

[​IMG]

Another day dusted.

Cheers

12. philspeed1

philspeed1 Tele-Meister

Looking great. Love to that course or similar but never have had the money. Great you got the chance. Whats the weather like in melbourne. Its been a little bit hot up here in brisbane.

13. Guitar novice

Weather is good. Mid 20's most days. Very comfortable.

I had been looking at this course for some time. I'm up to day 10 or so but hard to keep up the posts. I'll do more updates when I get back to perth. Particularly interested to see what everyone's reaction is to the rosette as I have really surprised myself.

If you get the chance definitely do it.

Cheers

14. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

Inspiring work GN. Beautiful location, too.

15. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Looking good!

Cheers!

-Austin

16. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

... very, very cool!

I meant to post a few weeks ago/when you started the thread

My friend/guitar guy learned to build acoustic guitars in San Diego in the 70's

He went more towards repair, although he's a killer builder ... anyways, just wanted to let you know that you got my day off to a great start ... especially when I saw this

[​IMG],

anyway, I'm intrigued in the process of how the sides go together

a local Pennsylvania TDPRI guy, otterhound was nice enough to invite a few guys to his place in the country where he has all of this awesome tone wood in the game

… and he had this very cool contraption for the sides

Again, very cool … I cannot even imagine the awesome Telecasters you can build since you can pull this off

17. Guitar novice

Snatched Defeat from the jaws of victory!

Thanks Guys,

Finished the course on Monday and have just been catching up with the family. Will start updating the days postings.

Ran into 1 major problem. Early in the process I flipped the mold the wrong way and turned it into a left handed guitar! I was so preoccupied with being exact on my measurements I lost the big picture. Shame I can't finish it on the course but not really an issue. I had a blast and learnt a lot of things while I was there. I can now take my time and get a nice body out.

It basically meant I couldn't finish the guitar however I do have a very good soundboard and the neck is ready to go and the bridge almost complete.

I have a few more tools coming home and will start redoing a body.

Cheers

18. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Yes please. I have an acoustic I would like to put a new top on. The top is bowed bad and it was so abused it is butt ugly. I've made it playable by sanding down the saddle to a sliver. It's a red seal yammy. Anything I can learn is good. Acoustic diy would be fine with me. One doesn't have to click on it if it offends.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.