Acoustic Guitar Build Thread - Allowed/Wanted?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Guitar novice, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Hi Guys,

It's been awhile.

I've just started my long service leave and I had booked myself into Thomas Lloyd Guitars to do an acoustic guitar making course. It's a 2 week course and by the end we should have a really nice acoustic using Australian timbers.

I know it's pretty far from being a Tele but is there any interest in me posting a few pics?

Is this ok by the moderators?

I'm running a blog so no if you want more detailed pics pm me and i'll give you the address (no commercial element just Amateur hour)

cheers

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

There have been a few acoustic builds here the past year.... go for it. Nobody has complained yet :).

3. Bob.M

Bob.M TDPRI Member

Bring it on! Love to watch and learn from your build.

4. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

No Way! Mods, ban this guy immediately.... :)

Post lots of pics and don't forget to show off all the molds and jigs. They are like Luthier P0rn here.

5. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Please post away as that's what I want to build if and when I ever get my T style guitars done

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I had to look up long service leave...WOW...That's a cool benefit......

7. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

No doubt! I think it's time to move to Australia!

Looking forward to seeing the build!

8. Guitar novice

Pretty excited about it. Only took 23 years.

Another long day in the workshop. 6 solid days so far. Will post early tomorrow morning after I get some rest.

Cheers

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

There is an Acoustic sub forum you can post the build in down the page..... without upsetting the tele faithful... ;)

aussie timbers...cool,,, which ones have you chosen?.... :)

10. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

still on my first coffee but ...HUH?

Looking forwards to your build mate :) Got one going myself though somewhat slower ;)

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

wakey wakey,, hands off snakey,,,, ;)

it was just a suggestion to explore the site to find some inspiration... geez... ?...

12. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

I meant maybe I wasn't awake since I hadn't had a coffee yet today because I've never seen an acoustic sub forum and maybe I missed it.

Tele Home Depot is a sub forum of the The DIY Channel which again is a sub forum of the Telecaster Guitar Forum. There is no acoustic sub forum hence my confusion. It wasn't a pop at you Trev.

13. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I know this forum is dedicated to the F style guitars and particularly the Tele however one of the things I like best about this forum is the open mindness of it's members. I have seen some build threads here that had nothing at all to do with a F style guitar but very informative non the less. For those of us trying to learn to be a luthier who don't have the opportunity to attend a school or class dedicated to the craft TDPRI is most definitely the next best thing. Best forum on the web to learn to build guitars or any other musical instrument made of wood. Heck, I've even seen some threads on here about metal working that were very informative. For the self paced and self taught luthier this is the place and there's some builders on here who freely share their years of knowledge of the craft that will rival any guitar builder on planet earth. Just saying, it's the open minded attitude of most members here that really makes this place a gem. So bring on that acoustic build man

14. Guitar novice

Hi Guys,

A slow internet connection is making updates a bit painful but we will get there.

I'm 7 days into the course and have another 6 days to go. Starting to feel the time pressure but Chris (the luthier) doesn't seem concerned.

The course is held in Melbourne at a place called Monsalvat. This place was created in the 1930's as an artist colony. It covers about 45,000 square meters of land (484,000 square feet) and has about a dozen or so buildings. It's quite stunning and hard to not be inspired.

[​IMG]

There is a heap of wildlife here (no Koalas or Kanagaroos). The peacocks are so tame you could just about pat them.

[​IMG]

15. Guitar novice

Day 1

Was a case of getting comfortable with the workshop, equipment and then into the wood pile. Chris is very generous and any materials are fair game. A recent shipment of Tasmanian Blackwood has just come in. Some stunning figure however I saw in his office a polished up Tasmanian Blackheart Sassafras.

First up was to joint the back. Using a straight edge with sandpaper attached I started sanding... then more sanding... then more sanding... For some reason I struggled to get a good edge. After 3 hrs I was happy with the edge and it was off to the gluing jig.

[​IMG]

The gluing jig is pretty simple. You put a small bit of timber in the middle and setup the back like a teepee. Blocks of wood stop the edges from moving out so that when you pull the timber our and flatten the backs there is sufficient tension. You double check the join before gluing in this jig. The trick is to press down on the join and if there is movement then go outside take deep breaths and then sand again...

[​IMG]

Once that was done it was time to start to shape the back braces. The back is curved so you need to put a curve on each brace. This is done by attaching sandpaper to a guitar mold/dish. You keep sanding until you can see no gap between the brace and the mold.

Before you start sanding you plane a small taper on each brace so that you don't need to do as much sanding. I missed the photo opportunity here but here is the aftermath. It's very nice to be working with these small block planes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Guitar novice

Here is a better shot of the dish.

[​IMG]

17. Guitar novice

Sides are then run through the drum sander until they hit 2mm thick. Each timber will need to be thicknessed slightly different depending upon the flexibility of the timber. I was good for 2mm but Paul who is also doing the course but using Tasmanian Blackwood needed to go less than this.

Getting this part right will make the bending easier.

I like the grain and the colour in the sides.

[​IMG]

That was it for day 1.

Cheers

18. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The side pieces have some nice figure!

19. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

I will certainly be using that idea for the gluing jig. I've used the same basic method several times, but have always just had to rig it up with whatever materials I had on hand. Seems a small investment of time on making that simple jig would save oodles of time on down the road. Can't wait to see what else there is to learn in this.

20. Guitar novice

The back is also very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.