Acoustic Guitar Amps: Which One?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by FenderGuy53, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

I tried several before choosing the Fender Acoustic 200.

2 channels, usb input, Bluetooth connectivity, useful onboard FX, and eerily light and easy to carry.

MSRP is slightly over your $500 limit, but I’ve seen them well under that.

I’m also a fan of how it looks, and really like the line out - it’s been a great little workhorse for me. I’ll use it for stage fill, and send the line to the PA - easy peasy.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a marshall 50w acoustic amp. Cant remember the model number, adh50? They are cheap and work well, similar deal to the fishman loudbox only cheaper.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  3. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, I don't have a Fishman, but for new this was recommended to me by my local music shop. So I'm merely passing on this recommendation.
    I see many others have recommended it as well.

I own an AER Alpha 40, and I don't think there's anything out there that can match its sound quality and portability (6Kg (13lb), 250mm (10") cube), although there's always new stuff coming out that's not on my radar.

If it was my money and choice, I'd go for a second hand AER Alpha 40 or AER Compact 60. Quality product made in Germany.
    (P.S. The manager of the local music shop has an AER Compact 60. AER is not in their sales line.)

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  4. juberstudent

juberstudent TDPRI Member

Second hand AER or Humphrey. Unrivaled for purity of sound, if that’s what you’re after.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ve had a Fishman Loudbox 100 for 15 years. I’ve gigged it hundreds of times. The Loudbox series is tops.

The new Loudbox mini at $300 is a gem.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love my Fishman Loudbox Performer.
    A used one should be around $500 on CL.
    I gig with mine often, it sounds great, and is very dependable.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play for $; I play for my own enjoyment.

Sounds like a good one, but I have simple needs and a small budget.

8. FenderGuy53

Thanks, Chunkocaster.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. FenderGuy53

Way over my pay grade.

10. FenderGuy53

Lots of kudos on this one. Gotta check one out. Thanks.

11. FenderGuy53

Yep. Loudbox keeps coming up. Gonna have a look/see. Thanks!

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Before you buy a Loudbox Mini be sure to play through the new Fender Acoustic 100. I bought one to replace a SWR Strawberry Blond and it's louder, clearer, looks better and at 17 lbs is a heck of a lot lighter. It has 2 separate channels that both accept high or low impedance mics and the controls are stupid easy to use. The effects sound good and 100 watts...that's 40 more than the Loudbox mini. The retail price is $400.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  13. FenderGuy53

Interesting. I'll take a closer look. Thanks.

I really don't need 100 watts, and the smaller, lighter, LoudBox Mini can be had for right at $300 OTD.

14. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Certainly not new, it is heavy (needs casters) it is very loud and it is cheap. I was fortunate in that this amp was given to me. I then removed the non-working piezo horn, added a super bullet tweeter, added a human vocal range JBL midrange and a 3-way crossover network closely matching the all of the speakers ranges. It is a Peavey KB-100, 75 watts and sounds fantastic used as an acoustic/pa amp.
    IMG_0111.JPG

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I've been going through a few acoustic amps in the last 2 years. So I'll add a few notes:
    Fishman Loudbox Mini: Bought mine as a store "open box". It appeared to be new and unopened but I think that is how they sell cheaper than Fishman sets the minimum price. $265 (Sweetwater or Pro Audio, cant remember) Good reliable little amp. The vinyl covering is Dog Doo though and starts to peel off if you look at it the wrong way. Everyone complains about it. I had a cover too.
    In the end I was not satisfied with it because I'm trying to use it for an archtop as well as acoustic. Seems boxy sounding for the archtop.
    Fender Acoustasonic 40: Basically the same amp as the Fishman Mini. Sounds about the same with two x 6.5" speakers, same controls etc. A ton cheaper. It's been reliable, I bought it used for almost nothing in new condition.
    Roland Acoustic 40 amp: A touch bigger than the other two, sounds good. I would rate it the best of the 3. But really, all were almost the same.

None of the above have satisfied my need for an Archtop as well as Acoustic amp in one. Right now I am living with the Fender. I dont think you can go wrong for acoustic and PA in one with any of the above. In the Fishman, I would probably go with the next size up from the Mini for myself. The new format Fender amps like the 100 watt mentioned above are intriguing to me. 100 watts SS isn't really a lot.

I think you need to decide if any of your gigs will be just a bit bigger or long narrow places and if an amp like the Mini sitting on the floor behind you will cut it for vocals. In some instances you may need to project to the back of that long room.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:30 AM
  16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

More watts equals more headroom for better sound. But it’s your call.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

They have a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I use at acoustic jams. It has a wonderful sound.

FenderGuy53 likes this.
  18. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

I used a Marshall AS50D amp a few years ago for an acoustic project...excellent warm sound...versatile and reliable...they’re around $350.

19. FenderGuy53

Understood. For me, any purchase would primarily be used in my home studio and other intimate settings. Headroom is not a concern for me.

elihu likes this.
  20. FenderGuy53

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.