Acoustic build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by 1bad914, Apr 29, 2019.

1. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

I meant scale as in size. I play jumbo or Dreads all the time, looking forward to playing a smaller bodied guitar.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

You'll love it. My OM is my go to acoustic, 000 next, followed by everything else. I just kinda think the OM size does everything well. I have two valuable vintage Martin dreads - I haven't played them in several years.

1bad914 and crazydave911 like this.
  3. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

No build inputs from me for the next 3 months. Headed for the condo in a Warner climate, no shop. Sigh.

4. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

That sycamore back is going to be beautiful. Have a good time in the sunshine state. If you're driving stop by TN and say HI.

1bad914 and crazydave911 like this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeppers :D

6. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

I was actually thinking about putting a sycamore top on it, but not sure how the tone would turn out.

7. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I would ask around to see if a sycamore top would be a good choice. Optically, it would be killer; acoustically, not so sure.

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Here is a quote from Rick Davis, Running Dog Guitars in Seattle

I like to use it with Engelmann or European spruce rather than the denser spruces. I don't think sycamore's lightness of tone would couple well with, i.e., red spruce's bassiness or with cedar's or redwood's darkness".

Taken from

http://www.guitarbench.com/2009/04/17/american-sycamore-tonewood-database/

My wood database compares it to maple in general characteristics - density, Youngs modulus, etc. Maple is frequently used as a back and sides on acoustic guitars where people feel it is pretty "neutral" in sound. Maple is rarely used on sound boards.

I heard a sycamore guitar at at GAL conference - I'm pretty sure it had a spruce top of some sort. Sounded fine.

9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I built ONE all sycamore guitar in my acoustic days (read Jurassic) at customer request.From my Strat bass alone you'll see not all sycamore is equal.My bass being the clear almost white consistency. Great for bodies,tops not so much.The brownish/greenish variety you are using I used a lot,mostly cut from dad's property and adjoining.THAT you use for tops if you go that route.Also note that as with poplar you occasionally get a green tinge,DON'T pass that by.As with poplar a few drops of red Colortone in your clear will even it out to the pleasant brown.
    Of course suit yourself,I'm currently hung up on my native Eastern Red Cedar for tops lol.Often called "aromatic cedar" to my irritation :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.