Acoustic build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Did you use Minwax wipe on poly? Is that an oil based product?

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes both ways. Showing off some of my poor binding channel cutting, the front turned out better. Last coat on it and may just buff it a bit. Not looking for perfection, happy as long as it looks good enough from three feet. The next one I will try harder.

[​IMG]

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Have you tried the water-based?

4. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Looks good!
    I'm diggin' all the funky "imperfections" in the repurposed wood.

It actually has a lot of character, and is fun to look at.

5. printer2

Kind of starting to look like a guitar that has been around the block an then refinished.

Well nobody can accuse me of doing things the easy way. Or careful planning. Sounds bad doesn't it?

Grabbed a bag of tuners, just cheap ones as I am in learning mode, drilled the holes for them, and then found they are all right handed. Looked at another bunch I have, same thing. I never intended to make an acoustic and entered this rabbit hole with the intent of doing a couple of Telecasters. Found a store in town that has a half decent selection of tuners but the size I want to use was more than I wanted to pay. So until I get some chrome ones I will have to use some black ones (why the heck did I buy them again, oh yeah $7 with shipping).

Drilling out the holes for the tuners did not go as smoothly as it could either. The Fir split in the back a little as the drill went through even though I used a backing board. Won't will any beauty pageant with this guitar.

So next I sanded the back of the bridge to the top contour. Looked up the saddle distance with Stew Mac's calculator and was going to router out the slot. Well I did buy a bit for it, it is here somewhere. After an hour looking for it gave up on the router and got out a Dremel bit. Problem is I do not have a base for the Dremel and can only hand hold it. Good thing the Mother of Invention came by with a bunch of clamps.

[​IMG]

Glued a piece of wood on the bridge so sliding it along the guide cuts a slot at an angle. Rather than lower the bit into the wood I slid some sheets of steel under the bridge pushing it up. Actually worked fairly well.

[​IMG]

My next concern was getting the bridge in the right position. Heck with this 'measure twice and cut once', I decided to string up both E strings and slide the bridge till I found the right location for it.

More clamps, small dented in the top at one spot, marked off the bridge location with a piece of masking tape. I do not have the frets in yet so I took a solid copper wire and ran it across the fret location and twisted it around the back.

[​IMG]

Might be a little premature saying it but this thing does sound like a guitar even cobbled together as it is. It has always been a concern going through all this trouble and ending up with something to hang on the wall. Only two strings and four notes but did not hear anything that sounds bad. Can't wait till it has six strings on it.

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Well, it is starting to look more and more like a guitar !

7. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Wait.. What's a guitar? I thought this was a model train forum? :lol:

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I think you're on the wrong track ! :lol:

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd like to see a nice rosewood and spruce guitar next....:)

10. printer2

Going to be a while there buddy, this one has taken lot out of me.

Actually want to spend some time learning how to play. :eek: Building wise I also have a number of amps that I dreamed up and have to finish. Depending on how much I like this one this one I may do another one this size in oak and spruce with that mahogany table leg I found for the neck. And then there is that all hog OO I am thinking of.

11. printer2

Glued on the bridge. Used my vacuum motors from my dust collector to do the sucking. Used a heavier food wrap and taped it all down. worked pretty good.

[​IMG]

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You must have gone to the University of Scatter Lee....cool technique.

13. printer2

That man amazes me.

14. orangedrop

With all the pains you have been taking to keep things quite contemporary, this tailpiece design just does not seem to be in keeping with the rest of the design.

I guess you won't have to worry about the instrument being neck heavy though, even if you use the heaviest Gotoh 501 tuners:D

How long did you have to run the dust collector to glue up the bridge?

Do you feel you ended up with enough PSI from the suck power of the system, and was there any squeeze out?

Thanks!

15. printer2

Never even thought of contemporary, just used what I had and things I wanted to try. What other bridge would suit it more? I might make another one yet. I saw online that you initially pull a vacuum for 15 minutes and then clean off the squeeze out and give it another 15 or more. I did not have any squeeze out other than a small bead, glue was a little thick, I ran it for about 50 minutes just in case. I am guessing that I had enough pressure, much better force distributed than if I just put a couple of clamps on it.

Do you mean something like this?

[​IMG]

16. orangedrop

:lol:forgive me:lol: I was goofing around about the Quick Clamps you were using to hold the strings temporarily!

I think it is obvious that a pair of those was not a custom tailpiece design.

Since you missed the humor, I am either a lot less funny then my friends think, or you must be a little tired from all the Christmas preparations.

I only hope you were not offended in any way, necause that was certainly the most distant result ever intended.

Had hoped to elicit a chuckle...

Self spank <<<<Me:oops:

The guitar you just posted is cool looking, liked it the first time I saw it (wherever that was)but frankly, I prefer your design.

It is beautiful, and a timeless classic!

17. printer2

Oops, misread that. Was funny the second time though.

Actually I thought you were talking about the bridge I used. Caused me to look around and next acoustic might have one a little more less traditional. See, even misunderstandings can be a good thing. :)

18. orangedrop

Well,
    I feel better now:D

The bridge you posted seems slightly Dali inspired with its somewhat molten pool shape.

Must take a good bit longer fairing out the flange area of a freeform shape like that while keeping the straight lines on the saddle slot, nice and even.

19. printer2

Some amazing builders out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

That would be a hard bridge to make, don't get me wrong.. But I think it would be completely doable. having a mill would probably help a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.