Acoustic Build - J-45ish

buffalohunt

Tele-Meister
Laminated necks are often seen on fancy guitars like archtops. Mine was kind of over the top, I don't think I would ever do it again. The body is some highly figured wood and its got lots of flamed maple binding, I just put maple down the center of the neck. Ordinarily I would do the scarf join and be done with it.
Good point. The J-45 is nicknamed the workhorse for both its reliability and simplistic construction. I should probably keep it simple.

buffalohunt

Tele-Meister
I'm thinking ahead to the neck of this thing.

I've got a piece of 1" thick Honduran mahogany to work with. Obviously that isn't going to work for a one piece neck, so I'm looking at my options. I know either one will work fine, I am more worried about the look of a laminated heel block and scarf joint on the back of the neck (it will be getting just a clear coat, no stain or color). Does this style of lamination seem "cheap" to anyone else?

I'm kind of leaning toward the second option below. I feel that the seams will be less visible once the top is covered by the fretboard and headstock veneer.

What are your thoughts?
View attachment 765984

I should add, the piece that I have is flatsawn, so the benefit of the second option would be to flip the pieces 90 degrees to achieve a quarter sawn neck.

buffalohunt

Tele-Meister
It's been some slow progress. But I've started building the bending machine for the sides. Based off the Fox bender. CNC milling.
IMG_1378.jpg

Today I received a couple of important packages. A heating blanket and some .007" metal slats for bending.

The heating blanket was cheap ($50 Canadian) on Aliexpress.com and the metal slats are just shim stock from Amazon for $15 Canadian.
IMG_1384 2.jpg

buffalohunt

Tele-Meister
Finally had some personal time to finish up the braces. I began by tapering them and shaping the cross-sectional shape into a rounded triangle shape.
IMG_1410.jpg

Then I decided to go for a scalloped style. I scalloped the two tone bars and only the bass side of the x-braces. I read up and watched a few videos by Dana at Bourgeois Guitars. He only does the one side.
IMG_1411.jpg

Something about balancing the boomy bass tones of a new guitar. You can read more about his reasoning here:
https://bourgeoisguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/The-Bourgeois-Story.pdf (page 19)

fathand

TDPRI Member
Yes they do. I also have access to a 1940 J45 that I could measure if you would like.
Thanks for the reply, I don't get here often. Interestingly, I also emailed Luthier Mercantile who told me the the plans do Not include the side profile. I wonder if there are 2 different versions out there.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reply, I don't get here often. Interestingly, I also emailed Luthier Mercantile who told me the the plans do Not include the side profile. I wonder if there are 2 different versions out there.

Don't know what to tell you. Mine are LMII PL67, drawn by Michael Collins in june of 2007. I've had them for ten or so years, keep thinking about building a J45 but never get around to it. The side view is actually two drawings, one the outside and one a cutaway showing bracing and the end blocks. It is not a profile in that it does note take into account the spherical doming of the back and top but it gives enough height information that you should be able to sand to the proper shape in a radius dish.

I also have a set of J45 plans that I bought from Georgia Lutherie Supply drawn in 2015. Five sheets, came as pdf's. There is one side view and one "side contour template" which looks like it would take care of the little wobble that you get when you shape sides in a dish.

And one last shot, the Guild of American Luthiers has a set of 1947 J45 plans that looks like it has a side view.

Its worth getting the issue of American Lutherie that had the plans, the author talks about all the changes in J45's over their long production life.

Last edited:

fathand

TDPRI Member
Don't know what to tell you. Mine are LMII PL67, drawn by Michael Collins in june of 2007. I've had them for ten or so years, keep thinking about building a J45 but never get around to it. The side view is actually two drawings, one the outside and one a cutaway showing bracing and the end blocks. It is not a profile in that it does note take into account the spherical doming of the back and top but it gives enough height information that you should be able to sand to the proper shape in a radius dish.

I also have a set of J45 plans that I bought from Georgia Lutherie Supply drawn in 2015. Five sheets, came as pdf's. There is one side view and one "side contour template" which looks like it would take care of the little wobble that you get when you shape sides in a dish.

And one last shot, the Guild of American Luthiers has a set of 1947 J45 plans that looks like it has a side view.

Its worth getting the issue of American Lutherie that had the plans, the author talks about all the changes in J45's over their long production life.
Maybe what I am looking for is called a side contour template then? I cut them out of the plans and glue to mdf to make a router template to cut out the side profile like this pic. Saves a lot of time.

I dont use a dish btw.

Attachments

• 20220121_101804.jpg
    20220121_101804.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 7

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe what I am looking for is called a side contour template then? I cut them out of the plans and glue to mdf to make a router template to cut out the side profile like this pic. Saves a lot of time.

I dont use a dish btw.

The Georgia Luthier Supply plans do provide that. Since most plans don't and I do use a radius dish I find it very easy to sand the contour into the sides

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I have made scarf joint, one piece and laminated necks. I have never felt like the scarf stacked heel looked bad. Never really noticed it while playing it. 😀 I am currently working on one of each of them. The scarf and laminate are the strongest, but (knock on wood) I have never had a one piece break. You make what you want to make. It looks as if you will make a beautiful instrument either way. Here are a few pics of various necks.
91EC4532-CAF2-4714-A4F7-1FB843F6D64A.jpeg 767DA7A5-8BBE-4CDD-99D2-053D1EC6022C.jpeg C46A72FA-840A-4508-955A-E4A87A3E1977.jpeg 983DB220-02EA-4053-BC46-28EE215FEA37.jpeg 5BCD39A5-2A82-4D43-894D-78B0A8E0FBEF.jpeg 09B8D0AD-773E-4186-B443-8BF47ABA3DDC.jpeg