1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Acoustic Build - J-45ish

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buffalohunt, Sep 4, 2020.

1. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

Good point. The J-45 is nicknamed the workhorse for both its reliability and simplistic construction. I should probably keep it simple.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

I should add, the piece that I have is flatsawn, so the benefit of the second option would be to flip the pieces 90 degrees to achieve a quarter sawn neck.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

It's been some slow progress. But I've started building the bending machine for the sides. Based off the Fox bender. CNC milling.
    IMG_1378.jpg

Today I received a couple of important packages. A heating blanket and some .007" metal slats for bending.

The heating blanket was cheap ($50 Canadian) on Aliexpress.com and the metal slats are just shim stock from Amazon for $15 Canadian.
    IMG_1384 2.jpg

4. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

I continued building the bending machine. I just need to come up with some type of handle for turning the screw and find some big springs.

IMG_1398.jpg

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  5. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

Finally had some personal time to finish up the braces. I began by tapering them and shaping the cross-sectional shape into a rounded triangle shape.
    IMG_1410.jpg

Then I decided to go for a scalloped style. I scalloped the two tone bars and only the bass side of the x-braces. I read up and watched a few videos by Dana at Bourgeois Guitars. He only does the one side.
    IMG_1411.jpg

Something about balancing the boomy bass tones of a new guitar. You can read more about his reasoning here:
    https://bourgeoisguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/The-Bourgeois-Story.pdf (page 19)

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.