Acoustic Build - J-45ish

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by buffalohunt, Sep 4, 2020.

1. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

Good point. The J-45 is nicknamed the workhorse for both its reliability and simplistic construction. I should probably keep it simple.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

I should add, the piece that I have is flatsawn, so the benefit of the second option would be to flip the pieces 90 degrees to achieve a quarter sawn neck.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

It's been some slow progress. But I've started building the bending machine for the sides. Based off the Fox bender. CNC milling.
    IMG_1378.jpg

Today I received a couple of important packages. A heating blanket and some .007" metal slats for bending.

The heating blanket was cheap ($50 Canadian) on Aliexpress.com and the metal slats are just shim stock from Amazon for $15 Canadian.
    IMG_1384 2.jpg

4. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

I continued building the bending machine. I just need to come up with some type of handle for turning the screw and find some big springs.

IMG_1398.jpg

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  5. buffalohunt

buffalohunt Tele-Meister

Finally had some personal time to finish up the braces. I began by tapering them and shaping the cross-sectional shape into a rounded triangle shape.
    IMG_1410.jpg

Then I decided to go for a scalloped style. I scalloped the two tone bars and only the bass side of the x-braces. I read up and watched a few videos by Dana at Bourgeois Guitars. He only does the one side.
    IMG_1411.jpg

Something about balancing the boomy bass tones of a new guitar. You can read more about his reasoning here:
    https://bourgeoisguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/The-Bourgeois-Story.pdf (page 19)

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.