Acoustic body radius question?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by old wrench, Jun 1, 2020.

1. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I know this is the Tele Home Depot, but I also know that we have some good experienced acoustic guitar builders here as well.

My question is about back and top radius.

I've seen lot's of figures for radius, with the back radius always being tighter than the front. I think I understand most of the reasons for the radius; stiffness and strength, sound projection, relationship to bridge geometry, etc., but I'm wondering how to determine the best radii for the back and front.

This first build will be a regular 6 steel string OM size.

I have the StewMac plan, but they don't call out a specific radius anywhere on the plan.

I'm ready to route out a couple of radius dishes, but I'm hung up on this radius question :).

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

George, lots of things influence the doming of the top and back and there are many ways to do it. You are correct that the dome is done for both structural reasons and to allow the wood to move with changes in humidity.

Traditional doming for a Martin style guitar is somewhere around 24 or 25 foot radius for the top, 15 or 16 foot for the back, and those are the radii that I use. You can build in a radius dish but that isn't 100 percent necessary - I made my first couple by simply making curved cauls and clamping against them. However it is much easier sanding and clamping against the dome that you want to top to take on.

I can show you several options, but to answer your original question, if you build to the above radii you'll be fine.

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Mr_Q and crazydave911 like this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.