Acoustic blues masterclass

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by RoarDog, Nov 18, 2019.

1. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Wanted to share this gem from Blind Connie Williams with those who haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet. Pure gold.

boop, Buckaroo65, Straydogger and 7 others like this.
  2. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

It's like he never has to look at his fingers.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I have watched that video more times than I can remember over the past ten years. It’s freaking amazing.

Even more amazing is that almost nothing is known of Williams’ life. Years ago, after I first saw that video, I tried to find out more about him. There’s almost nothing known about him.

drf64, Obsessed and RoarDog like this.
  4. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Likewise, I heard he studied at the knee of some Delta great but can't remember anything else. I believe others we're entirely lost to time, even RJ himself may have been an unknown if not for those couple of day's in studio. Hopefully more will turn up over the years.

5. TheGoodTexan

That “studio” was a motel room in San Antonio... and I’ve been in it.

RoarDog likes this.
  6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Is it my imagination or has he got a 6th string (low E) as a third string.

RoarDog likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I enjoy watching that video often too. His technique is great. I also have found little about the man. As @RoarDog mentions, sadly, many other old bluemen probably went unknown to the world too.

RoarDog likes this.
  8. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

It appears to be hahaha, I used 20 lb test on an old nylon string when I was a kid, difference being Mr. Williams sounds amazing, me not so much : )

Straydogger likes this.
  9. willie ray

willie ray TDPRI Member

Wow...
    great guitar playing,great song ,outstanding voice.
    also like the walking cane hooked onto his left arm there.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Straydogger and RoarDog like this.
  10. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Might just be a new string. Wonderful playing, I'm not sure which hand I like better.

Straydogger likes this.
  11. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Oh yeah that was awesome!!!

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

impeccable time!

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

What would be more amazing would be a blooze daddy covering this with a stomping bored and some petals at an open jam

Flat6Driver likes this.
  14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

And a boutique map

noah330 likes this.
  15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

My fingers hurt watching that. And man does have seem to have some big hands.

So, honest question, what makes a blues man a blues man? Not to be a jerk either. This is a guy that has been recorded and nobody has anything about him. What about the 10,000 guys on YouTube these days doing similar? I think it Muddy Waters or Buddy Guy that was fixing blinds or something as his job till he hit later in life. I saw an amazing player the other night at a jam, Vietnam war vet had a cool blues name and CDs released. I've seen so many killer players. At what point do you get to be a made man, so to speak. And in @noah330 's case, can you ever cross over from Blooz Daddy to Blues man?

Straydogger likes this.
  16. TheGoodTexan

Good question.

I think it's "heart"... I put that in quotes because its an intangible thing. I'm reading into Blind Connie... thinking that he probably had a tough life because of his blindness and his race at that time in America (which is shameful of course).

But I really think that a bluesman has to have a challenge. Maybe he overcame it, maybe he didn't. First and foremost, blues was originally a black man's genre, during a time in America when being black was enough of a challenge to inspire art.

Very few white guitar players could be considered authentic bluesmen. Even Clapton's acoustic blues albums, as brilliant as they are at times, are still missing something special.

When you get into Clapton and SRV (and others), I think you have to put their work into the blues rock genre, which has different "rules".

Obsessed likes this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

And I agree on this. You can watch him pluck it... slip his thumb under it and make it snap, and hear a low note sound.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I find a lot of truth to this statement about bluesmen. "Heart" or "soul" is what's missing with a lot of people playing blues ... including myself. I struggle to "find" it and I assume part of that is the middle class suburban environment that I grew up in and the Silicon Valley career.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  19. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

How about Jeff Healy?

I see this kind of thing on the internet a lot. Probably on places populated by "white guys". Something about authenticity. I don't know about all that, almost like there's a mystique "keep is under glass to study it" kind of thing. Or a cultural appropriation thing. Or something. Not trying to make a huge thing about, because surely when guys like Darius Rucker and Charlie Pride did country, they probably faced the same assessment.

20. TheGoodTexan

I hear ya.

Jeff Healey is one of my biggest influences. SRV too. But those guys were squarely in the "blues rock" camp... as opposed to the man of the hour, Blind Connie, who was strictly an acoustic bluesman. Jeff Healey was also a tremendously talented ragtime trumpeteer.

I'm just saying that when I hear "bluesman" I do not think of SRV or Healey... and I don't think of Hendrix either. Those guys were as authentic as it gets. They just took things in a different direction with their authenticity.

When I hear "bluesman" I think of what used to be called "country blues" which is what Blind Connie was doing in that OP video. Very few of those guys made a crossover to electric. Lightnin' Hopkins did.

Flat6Driver and Straydogger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.