Acoustic Bass conversion

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by trev333, Feb 13, 2020.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Hi guys, I've got this acoustic guitar that someone pulled all the frets off and filled the grooves with something hard to dig out and it's bound, so cutting the fret slots again I'd have to cut through the glue/binding... I don't need another 6 string acoustic...an acoustic bass would be handy... I play a Tele bass usually...

Has anyone converted one to be a Bass guitar?...

I can fit a 32" scale with the steel bridge where it is in the pic.... I glued a block under that area inside to screw it into and strengthen that area...

or I could take the saddles off that bridge and use it as a stop tail and get a floating bridge archtop style at a 30" scale....

I'm sure it would work as a fretless bass or when refretted to a bass scale.....with onboard pu/electronics...

But? what about acoustically?.... which bridge configuration would make a better acoustic sound?...

A floating bridge on the deck or just a bridge anchored at the back...?

Any thoughts for/against would be appreciated...ta.. :)

acoustic bass1.jpg

acoustic bass2.jpg

acoustic bass3.jpg

2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Just when I thought I saw everything. I love your imagination, hope it works out great.

Well, you have 2 strings on it, can't you tell which configuration sounds better? Have you tuned them up to pitch? i think the longer scale might have lower tension so the body doesn't explode as quick at the bridge.

I don't think the undersaddle pick up at the wooden bridge will do anything but feedback, but what do I know.

The only thing I ask is you wear safety glasses when you get within 10-12 feet of it. If the bridge breaks away with 4 strings on it, it could dent you a little. Best of luck.

trev333 likes this.
  3. trev333

I won't use the existing bridge.... that might need to come off depending on final string height ... that's just hat elastic I use for set ups....

I'll use something like this for a floating bridge to excite the top... or use the steel one and a sound hole pu......

bass bridge wooden.jpg

4. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

The archtop bridge will work to sink the flattop designed bracing.

I know of a guy on OzBass that put Kala U Bass strings (20 in scale) on an el cheapo classical guitar (650 mm scale). He was quite happy with his new toy. This was around 2010?

5. trev333

My gf dropped this over for me to try..a Kala U Bass... the strings feel like thick rubberbands.... soft...;)

first one I've seen...

Uke bass1.jpg

6. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

I've heard the kala basses sound pretty good! Take some getting used to though.

KC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.