Acoustic “plays like an electric?”

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by christhee68, Oct 23, 2014.

1. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I got my new Taylor 314ce last week and the action seemed a little high on the higher frets, so a friend of mine recommended a guy that builds custom guitars (from parts) and does set ups. I took it to him for a set up, and when he gave it back, he said, “Now it pays just like an electric.”

I played it and thought, “Wow, it does.” Then I started wondering, do I really want an acoustic guitar that plays like an electric? The action was really low and it was easy to play notes all over the fret board. I guess I’m just used to my acoustics playing like acoustics.

I haven’t really been able to play it any since I got it back, but maybe I’ll get used to it.

Do any of you have your acoustics set up to play like an electric? Are there any disadvantages to this?

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

It depends what you want. If you're going to play it like an electric you may like it as is. In my experience if you're going to strum the thing and play it like an acoustic, having the action a little higher seems to let the strings ring out more. It just sounds better, and you don't get those funky rattling noises like you do when you're strumming and the action is too low. There is a happy medium. You just have to find it.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you chopping on a dreadnought in a bluegrass band, you don't want super low action.

4. christhee68

I've got a dread that I'll keep "like an acoustic" but I've been playing the Taylor for the past hour and I think I am going to like it "like an electric.".::D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. Feargal

Feargal Tele-Holic

I had an acoustic that played like an electric, not much use for bluegrass, but very fun.

6. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Good reason to have more than one.

7. christhee68

It does seem to have a slight rattle at times during vigorous strumming. I suppose adjusting the truss rod to a little more relief would help?

I did the "capo the first fret and hold down the 14th and slide a business card at the 6th" test and the business card did not quite fit without lifting the string (low E).

8. christhee68

So I just took it out and played it again to be sure my initial observations were correct. I decided to give the truss rod a little tweak by turning giving it between 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn counter clockwise. It took the neck from completely flat having just enough space at the 6th fret to slide a business card under. I can just fit a quarter between the 12th fret and the low E string.

I still think the saddle is kind of low, but maybe I'm just not used to it yet. It seems to still have a decent break angle but I'm considering maybe putting a thin shim under it next time I change strings to raise it slightly. It could be that I just am not used to the look of Taylor saddle. The back of it, since it is sloped, looks like it is extremely low, while the front edge is somewhat taller.

Maybe since I've always played cheap guitars, maybe I'm just not used to a "real" guitar yet. Take a look at my saddle and break angle and tell me if it looks "normal." I know it plays great, but I'm just wondering if I took too much off the saddle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If it plays and sounds good to you then don't worry about the break angle. I have a 60 year old J-45 with a much lower saddle and it plays & sounds great.

If you want to raise the saddle you can certainly
    shim it but I'd only do that based on sound & playability, not 'looks'.

10. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

I'd just enjoy the low action unless you're getting too much fret buzz.

( ''""-.-"""-.
    !!!!=I===I=======(==) :
    ( ,,,,-..___.'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.