Acoustasonic sighting

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fishermike, Apr 10, 2020.

1. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

Watching Jimmy Fallon tonight. He and Sting did “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” with the Roots. Sting was playing what appeared to be a surf green Acoustasonic Tele. Just caught my eye. Gotta figure he can play any guitar he wants. No idea if he has a deal with Fender or anything like that.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I don’t see owning one myself.
    It’s value lies in the electronics.
    If/when they poop out or become obsolete is there enough left to go on.

3. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

I've never really been attracted to them, either. I just thought it was interesting to see Sting playing one at home. Only a guitar nerd would have even been able to tell what it was. I don't remember even seeing the headstock, so it didn't necessarily seem like he was pimping Fender product.

4. 985plowboy

Sure man. I’m not accusing you of liking it or anything. If I had the cash I’d probably enjoy fooling around with one. I can’t though.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like the look of them, plus they are a small fortune to buy. I would rather spend that kind of money on an AO 60s, and have some change left over.

Crobbins likes this.
  6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

The electronics on those Fenders can't be repaired if there is a problem?!?

985plowboy likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The electronics is a small computer, so no. No one is fixing it to it’s original state unless they have spare parts from Fishman.

The acoustasonic is basically a modeling guitar.

Theoretically the community could probably engineer a replacement computer by using something like an arduino or other open source system but this is a huge amount of work compared to building an entire new traditional guitar or amp from scratch.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. 985plowboy

I am not sure.
    However, what turns me off would be the idea that some day in the future when Fender decides to update/upgrade/discontinue whatever the computer is in that guitar, those holding the older version may well be out of luck.

I own a Fender G- DEC lll 30 and a Mustang lll V2. When first rolled out they were the latest and greatest and everyone was excited about the capabilities, and rightfully so. Now they are obsolete tech as is evidenced by the fact that...
    Fender recently quit supporting Fuse.

I seriously doubt that 50 years from now there will be a Lindy Fralin equivalent boutique computer programmer making custom drop in PCB boards to bring a 2020 Acoustisonic back to life.

It’s not for me.

12Frets likes this.
  9. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

These have been around for nearly a year...haven't read of any electronic failures......would you not think that the manufacturer would support the instrument?

Having said this.....would Leo be turning in his resting place?

In his day, tones would have been sharp, mellow, twangy, punchy & a few others...

Now with this latest incarnation of an Austasonic Tele.......tones are via the 5 position switch x 3 variations & a blend knob

These tones are now described as .....Woodie Mahogony, bright Kia, Alpine Mountain Top Ash wrapped in another Engleman small Top wrapped in something else, not to forget Spruce to Goose wrapped in Sictgar Spruce .......

The list goes on & on & on........one would need to be a wooden tree specie expert to understand all of this

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  10. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

This seems like a cool design in theory, but in practice is not that useful, to me anyway. Perhaps it's a good stage guitar when acoustic and/or electric sounds are required on the fly. At any rate, that guitar is of no interest to me.

11. 985plowboy

DerekWarner

You ask if I think the manufacturer won’t support the instrument.

Yes, that is exactly what I think Is going to happen.

Telecasters are still in service from the ‘50’s and so are amplifiers of the same era.
    I have a G-Dec that is primarily a multi effects processor in the same box with a small PA.
    Ditto the Mustang lll
    If it breaks again, Fender won’t be fixing my old one or shipping me a new one.

While I’m up on my soapbox I feel the same way about all the new Tonemaster amps.

Caveat Emptor
    Rock on.

12. Mike M

Mike M TDPRI Member

Every critique of this instrument is dead on, yet...

I cannot stop playing it. Its lightweight, feels great in your hands, and is so much fun to play, even when its not plugged in.

I got mine through special circumstances for about $1300, and even felt that might be too much for it (would think $999 might be more appropriate).

I was intrigued ever since I saw it online, wanted to spend some time playing it, and bought it thinking I would definitely be returning it for full return within the 30 day period.

Yet here I am 3 months later, and can't get it out of my hands.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Leo never stopped innovating...if he was alive and active today he would still be innovating...

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

You’re right of course. It’s a guitar, you buy it and use it as a tool if it works for you. If it breaks you fix it or get a new one.

Everyone seems to think every guitar is going to be kept till the owner dies and then passed on and end up in a vintage store and go on forever.

In reality most players flip their guitars constantly like they’re disposable so there’s nothing wrong with buying a guitar like this that might not be viable in 50 years.

If Fender and Fishman cancel this project and it breaks there will be something to put in these guitars. It’s just a combination of a piezo + body sensor + magnetic pickup. Someone will figure out a simple way to put some other preamp in it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.