Acoustasonic are good enough for the Rolling Stones

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have the jazz master acoustasonic. Great acoustics and playability however the electric guitar part is wonky to me

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I haven't watched that posted video yet. Admittedly it's mostly because I'm not fan of Lips Jagger. I may get around to it.

But I'll share my experience with the American Acoustasonic Tele. In fact, after I test drove one in a local store, I posted a review here on TDPRI. If you want to read it in full, here it is.

As a Tele shaped acoustic/electric, it's good. I'm not sure I would get equal use out of all the acoustic models, but I'm sure I could find one of them that sounded good to my ears for gigging purposes.

But I wouldn't use it as a hybrid. To get true tele tones out of it, I'd wanted nickelplated steel strings on it and have it plugged into one of my Vox Pathfinders or Roland Blues Cube or something. My thinking is the Acoustasonic guitar can do either/or on separate occasions, but not both/and at the same gig. You can't just use one type of strings for both sounds, nor can you get both sounds convincingly playing through just one amp.

And besides, as I said three years ago in that posted thread linked above, I already have a tele style acoustic/electric guitar, made by Bob Logan. It plays like a tele and sounds like an acoustic/electric, and doesn't try to do anything else. So I gig with a Logan tele and a Logan a/e, and I'm covered.
1648692439183.jpeg

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I've played the Strat Acoustasonic. Unplugged, it sounds about as good as Ronnie in the video. Which is to say, not very good IMO. Hey, it's a < 2" thick acoustic. BUT, plug it into an acoustic amp and smile. If has three pickups, five positions, and there are some nice plugged in acoustic sounds in there. In a blind test you could fool people.

The earlier version, the Stratosonic is a slightly different beast. It has an ovation body. Much better acoustic (unplugged) sound. Still not a Martin, sounds like a fiberglass ovation, but it's a usable sound and a passable acoustic for playing around or as a travel guitar. Not as nice as the Acoustasonic plugged in, but still nice.

I didn't get to play either of the Tele versions.

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I loves my Tele-tyle and I loves my acoustic, but ne'er the twain shall meet! I'm not a fan of the looks of the Acoustasonic line, but for those who like 'em, more power to ya!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When I was serving as a Scout leader, I started out carrying a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - the Spartan model, I believe. But a couple of campouts in, I realized that although it was "handy" because of all the nifty attachments, it really fell short of doing what a serious outdoor knife needs to do. It still lives in the bottom of the jockey box of my truck, but when I need a folder in my pocket, I grab my SOG Trident. One thick and sharp blade, designed to be opened with one hand, and big enough for most camp chores (even field dressed a deer with it once).
1656475525183.png

I've field tested the Acoustasonic and it's definitely the Swiss Army Knife of guitars. Does a couple of things, neither very well, but if you have to have just one ...

Of course, as with pocket knives, rifles, fishing rods, and other stuff, NOBODY HAS JUST ONE. You can't begin to get the Acoustasonic to deliver what a decent Telecaster or other electric does, let alone what your favorite dreadnaught acoustic can do. I really don't understand the appeal, but then I'm old and unhip and I don't "get" lots of stuff these days. So sue me.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Ronnie's clip didn't make me want one of those guitars. Not sure what the point was.

Mick looks pretty comfortable with a guitar. I'd like to see more of his noodling.

Last edited:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I've played the Strat Acoustasonic. Unplugged, it sounds about as good as Ronnie in the video. Which is to say, not very good IMO. Hey, it's a < 2" thick acoustic. BUT, plug it into an acoustic amp and smile. If has three pickups, five positions, and there are some nice plugged in acoustic sounds in there. In a blind test you could fool people.

The earlier version, the Stratosonic is a slightly different beast. It has an ovation body. Much better acoustic (unplugged) sound. Still not a Martin, sounds like a fiberglass ovation, but it's a usable sound and a passable acoustic for playing around or as a travel guitar. Not as nice as the Acoustasonic plugged in, but still nice.

I didn't get to play either of the Tele versions.
I've got one of the plastic-backed Stratacoustics--it's a decent couch guitar and sounds, like you say, passable as an acoustic plugged in. I'd like to put a magnetic pickup into it but don't want to booger it up. The old solid body Teles with a regular neck pickup and a piezo bridge always intrigued me too.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Ronnie's clip didn't make me want one of those guitars. Not sure what the point was.

Mick looks pretty comfortable with a guitar. I'd like to see more of his noodling.

Agree.

Mick has been playing for many years. He just keeps it low key. Only time I've seen him on stage with a guitar was when they were doing Start Me Up and they needed a third guitar up front.Other than that I think it's just a development tool for him.

I recall a funny story Ronnie told about Mick, Keith, and a guitar Mick had. As a backstory, Keith used to always travel armed in the days when you could carry a weapon on aircraft.

They were on tour and staying in hotel rooms. Keith was peeved at Mick for something. So he went into Mick's room when he was out, took a pillow to use as a silencer, and shot a hole in Mick's guitar. The funny part as Ronnie told it was that it wasn't Mick's guitar. It was one of Keith's that he'd lent to Mick to play.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Can someone tell me what this guitar does? What does it offer for live performance? Does it do anything a person might want to record?

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think they're kind of expensive for what they are but they're not bad. Greg Koch sounds amazing on them.