Achtung!! German enlist right here ;)

Slowpoke

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Karl, thanks mate. Yes I really loved Osnabruk and its more than a little town, it was a city when I was there. I had a married quarter up near the camp in Dhodeshide (hmmm that doesn't look right). I played guitar in a Band called "Johnny and The Echoes" and we used to do Sunday tea dances just over the Dutch border in Ibenburen. We would open other shows for Buster Flood and his 12 piece band. My speaking German was very limited but it would improve immediately after a few beers and a couple of Pushkins.. S

Slowpoke

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Karl, I lived in Bierbaums Weg in Dodesheide (marked with a red cross) and our camp was just across the road in the same area as 16/5th Lancers (Tank Mob). But according to Google Earth the Barracks are not there anymore. Yes I have good memories of living in Germany.
A few years ago I decided to type out a story of what happen while on a NATO exercise in Germany and this is true honestly.. S

Back in 1963/4 while serving in the British Army and on a NATO exercise our little group had found ourselves a Gästehaus with a bakery in the back yard in a little German Village that the name has long been forgotten. A few of us spent the evening in the Gästehaus drinking beer and talking to a few of the village old timers. We had the forethought to pass the microphone and headphones from the radio thru' the window so we could answer any calls, bearing in mind we were supposed to be in some fictitious war and also miles away from the Gästehaus and in some field which we had the map reference for. The evening was great fun because the more beer we drank the easier our German language flowed giving the old timers a good laugh when we got something wrong. When the Gästehaus closed we all retired to the warmth of the bakery as the workers there were baking tomorrows bread etc. We all had sleeping bags and fell asleep only to wake up about an hour later sweating our 'whots-its' off and then just laying on top the sleeping bags. When we all woke up later in the morning it was a joint effort to make breakfast with eggs and bacon bought from the local shop and fresh bread given to us by the bakers. Now having sweated during the night I felt really uncomfortable and after breakfast took a little walk thru' the village to see if there was anywhere I could have a bath or an all over wash. There was a shallowish stream running thru' the village alongside the road and as luck would have it there was nobody up and about being it was a Sunday at about 7.30am. I returned to the bakery and got my towel and my soap and went back to a spot I had picked out where I could sit in the stream with the water just about flowing over my thighs. I had put my towel on the bank and where I chose to sit was about 10 ft from my towel. I'm sat there in the freezing water soaping up when I hear the village church bell start to ring out, but thought nothing of it whilst laying back in the water enjoying a very cold bath. I was now acclimatised to the water tho' a certain part of my anatomy had decided to try and disappear back into my body in the hope of finding some heat I s'pose. Suddenly I caught sight of a lot of German families all coming along the road heading for the Church to confess their sins. Too late to move and get my towel I had to sit there in the shallow stream with both hands in my groin in an attempt to cover myself and as the German families walked past they were all saying "Guten Tag" and I was returning them with Guten Tag. I heard one or two of them who obviously could speak English make comments that I was meant to hear like "Crazy English soldiers". As soon as I was sure most of the village personnel had passed by me I arose from my position and went and got my towel and hurriedly dried myself and got dressed and returned to the bakery for a nice cup of hot coffee which humanised me again..

Later that day we moved out and continued with the fictitious war..

Our Block of Apartments.jpg

Last edited:

19sixty3

Tele-Meister
Hi folks. I am in.

Es wird Zeit diesen “Zombie-Club” wieder zu beleben))

Da jeder Club von Bildern lebt, poste ich mal meinen main-player...!
Ich freue mich darauf eure main axe zu sehen.

Viele Grüße aus Frankfurt/Main.
Cheers
Frank

48F6FEEB-CFBB-4A5D-8775-39EF7E37F75A.jpeg
19776673-0D24-4A10-8503-CBEB5B4408B0.jpeg

PeterUK

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
English man with a daughter in Berlin and she recently took the black 'Johnny CashCaster' with her.

Attachments

• F22509B6-7D54-41C0-ABB6-060F5DF2FC69.jpeg
    F22509B6-7D54-41C0-ABB6-060F5DF2FC69.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 68
  • F25246EF-A504-4BA2-B795-573601DFE94F.jpeg
    F25246EF-A504-4BA2-B795-573601DFE94F.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 8CC15600-099C-4309-BEF0-DCC930030C11.jpeg
    8CC15600-099C-4309-BEF0-DCC930030C11.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 64