1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ACDC

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Youngs are of Scottish heritage. Malcolm's first proper guitar was a Gretsch Firebird given to him by Harry Vanda, George Young's Easybeats bandmate and songwriting/producing partner. Being Scots they were terribly canny with their money.....

My guitar teacher knew them when they were starting out. He said it was a standing joke amongst the pub muso community every time Malcolm made $100,000 he'd buy a pickup to try. Hence the extra holes and duct-tape.

Just reading a book on George Young's life and he had a lot to do with the formation, sound and direction of the band - avoiding the traps the Easybeats fell into.

Even after EMI took production off George Young for Hell's Bells he still provided guidance, flew to gigs and acted as mentor. Apparently, the fistfights between the three brothers were epic when they disagreed. When they came back to Albert's studios it was the biggest period for album sales and touring in their careers.

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Funny how groove makes your tone sound better!

richiek65 likes this.
  3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Probly 15 years ago I built one of these and recorded my own AC/DC tribute with it. It's my 61 RI SG into the pedal, then into a power amp and a 1x12. That pedal is basically AC/DC in a box.

I recorded this shortly after I built the pedal and no longer have the session for it or I'd tweak some things, but I think it's a pretty fun song as it is.

http://the23rdcentury.org/Orphans/Jumping Jack Flash.mp3

4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Mutt Lange said getting an Angus young tone is easy.

a classic Marshall amp. A Gibson sg. And Angus young.

5. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The one mistake I hear almost every band that covers AC/DC make is the guitars have too much gain. I'm acquaintances with a guy who is in a band that opened for AC/DC on a short leg of one of their tours. He got to see/hear Malcolm's rig and tone up close and during setups. He told me that Malcolm's sound was actually almost clean. Tons of headroom. The secret to his sound was VOLUME. He'd play so loud that it created that percussive tone. Basically there was very little overdrive at all.

Keith Richards is kind of the same way. His live tone has very little overdrive. It's just loud as hell.

6. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Completely agree, just listen to my clip above where I used too much gain! It would be closer with less gain.

I remember an interview where Angus said the producer (I think it was Mutt) actually forced them to put more gain on their guitars because they were too clean.

7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Totally agree re Angus, I'm only a minor fan of ACDC, but those solos are masterclasses of blues rock. And yes, his articulation, bends, releases, vibrato etc are all en pointe..

8. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

While he doesn't use pedals, the preamp in his wireless system is a key part of his tone, so it is boosted a little. And as per the rig run down, those plexis are biased hot enough to need constant repair, so it isn't quite as straight forward as plugging straight in a turning the amp up.

9. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

There are better videos for this pedal, I just don’t have time to find them right now. This is supposed to be a replica of the preamp in Angus’ wireless.

Capgun

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  10. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Definitely. I say that as (also) a minor fan of AC/DC. Nonetheless, I have nothing but yuuge respect for them. They are THE definition of Rock.

richiek65 likes this.
  11. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I can get Angus tone with a Tele and a Peavey amp with the reverb shut off.

12. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

The J Rockett 45 Caliber sounds pretty good in videos but probably requires the proper amp, and guitar combo.

13. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

+1. In my (thoroughly unqualified) opinion, one ought to learn and rehearse Malcolm-type parts with a totally-clean sound, maybe even an acoustic. Once one can do that with conviction, a little drive on the gig will be icing on the cake. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.