Accidentally NGD..

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I did the exact same move a couple of weeks ago - went in for a set of strings and walked out with a Taylor solidbody! I didn't forget to buy the strings, though.
Nice guitar, that looks great and with the J45 I'll bet they are a great pair.

guyac01

NEW MEMBER!
My 'happy accident' was when I went to a Taylor Dealer, with a plan to acquire a Taylor 412ce, their short-scale smaller-bodied version, which would match my 415 and 355-12, both Jumbos... I played through their 412ces, even mahogany-topped versions, but nothing really 'spoke' to me, so despondently, I reached behind me to confirm their 412ce wasn't what I was looking for before leaving and... Zzing...! By accident, I'd picked-up a 414ce that was really 'alive', so I walked out with it... it's still my 'most Taylor-like' acoustic, probably my #1...

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Went to a shop for strings and played a Martin… it had veneered koa back and sides and I didn’t want to like it but I really did. It sounded rich, and snappy. I played every other Martin in the shop and it beat all of them..

So I walked out with it. Whoops. And I just picked up a j45 last Sunday!

View attachment 983432
View attachment 983433
Looks nice. Veneer on a Martin? What model? Where was it made?

dmarcus30

Tele-Holic
Went to a shop for strings and played a Martin… it had veneered koa back and sides and I didn’t want to like it but I really did. It sounded rich, and snappy. I played every other Martin in the shop and it beat all of them..

So I walked out with it. Whoops. And I just picked up a j45 last Sunday!

View attachment 983432
View attachment 983433
Perfectly understandable. What else could you do?

Caevan O'Sh!te

TDPRI Member
Congratulations! Enjoy! I love Gibson flat-top acoustics, and Martin stylees with less common wood... Koa is wonderful! I'm glad that you got that, and that Gibson J-45, too.

I have an old Alvarez-Yairi DY-51 "Blue Ridge", with Kazuo Yairi's signature in ballpoint-pen on the interior label; a Martin "Dreadnaught" styled, with a solid Western Red Cedar top, Mahogany neck and Ebony fretboard, and laminate Mahogany/AAAA Burled/Quilted Mahogany veneer back, sides, and headstock-face.

People often think less of laminates as opposed to solids, but the most important ingredient in any recipe is always the cook.

The day I got it, years ago, it was the very best sounding guitar that I tried, and among the best sounding there regardless of price- including some Martins, Gibsons, and Guilds.

There have been times that I've heard someone playing a guitar from another room, or through a window when they were outside, even once at a distance in a park, and immediately recognized the tone of my guitar. It's just a little bit different, with its own character.

Aaron1061

Tele-Holic
It’s a 000-12e. Koa veneer over mahogany. It’s the top of the line acoustic made in the Mexico factory, road series. I was apprehensive because of the veneer but it really works on this guitar for whatever reason. It must be really thin.

Caevan O'Sh!te

TDPRI Member

It’s a 000-12e. Koa veneer over mahogany. It’s the top of the line acoustic made in the Mexico factory, road series. I was apprehensive because of the veneer but it really works on this guitar for whatever reason. It must be really thin.

The most important ingredient in any recipe is always the cook.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Went to the music store to get a Martin D28 Herringbone. Came home with a Larrivee L10.
IMG_1155.JPG

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Most less expensive guitars have solid tops but laminated back and sides; might as well have a really nice looking one on the outside. But some more expensive guitars do too. I'm sure it's a great guitar.